LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

I think you missed the real point of DuVernay's portrayal of LBJ...[as compared to] The Help, Lincoln, 12 Years a Slave, etc...and I think DuVernay was very adamant about that.

I regret that I have but one like to give for this comment.

Edited by mattie

A pure black film will never be successful, especially a drama.

Boyz N The Hood? Oscars, rave reviews, solid box office. And BO aside, it was deemed culturally significant and gets more views today on cable than many movies that grossed $300M in theaters. And the stars all went on to be succesful. So, wrong.

And dont say it that way. "Pure black film."

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

I don't understand this mindset. Sure if you take out the big movie of the year (or a big movie), the box office gets weaker. 1998 wouldn't be as great without Titanic, 2004 wouldn't be as great without Passion or Shrek 2. But there they were anyway. And the box office is not that weak anyway, October 2013 and May 2012, despite their big hits were meh, but this January is the best in five years. In ticket sales aiming for 120m which is above average.

Lack of depth is eventually found out. I am on my phone so I can't recall what was the competition in those months you mentioned but for example take 2009. Breakouts every week creates a sustainable flow. Besides Sniper there might not be another movie above 10m next week. Once a juggernaut starts feeling gravity, the market has to compensate but besides Sniper and 50 Shades and Kingsman, look at February. If those films don't overperform or hold well what's going to help the month? There's no help from Jan, and movies like HTTM2 and Seventh Son? Jupiter? More films need to step up from Almanac next week.

• Like 1

I don't get the swinging some of yall do between trusting RTH or not. Yes he has better access to numbers but yall come across as ungrateful demi gods with some of your attitudes. When a film skews as old in the demo as AS and Jersey Boys there is a larger margin of error.

Exactly. Rth long ago solidified his reputation and trust. He doesn't owe us anything. 

• Like 1

At this point Johnny Depp would do Pirates 5 for an Applebees gift card.

:rofl: Maybe he would but I still bet he'll get an insane amount of monet for POTC 5. That's a territory where he can ask for 50M+ paychecks and Disney will give them to him.