kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

Trailers are bad.

It doesn't really show anything very exciting, if you look close all the 3 trailers showed pretty much different moments of the same scenes. And i understand that, James Gunn wanted to save all the surprises for the movie and actually said few days ago he allowed to be showed in marketing only what is very necessary.

This can easily make people surprised about it just like it happened with critics, an could generate excellent WOM and even better walkups on OW. But at the same time make the entire marketing looks meh and more of the same, add to that the fact that 2016 SS was a disaster and you get the lack of hype around it 

Obviously there's other factors against it, like the rating and the HBO Max release. And while i'm sure it will hurt it, this doesn't stop movies like Conjuring 3 also coming from a terrible movie to have a good opening for a horror movie. So i do think the main mistake here is the marketing approach.

I hope the movie itself make people interested in seeing it tho, Gunn is a great talent and i'm sure he will delivery again.

5 minutes ago, Fox20 said:

If anything the trailers scared the people that were already not liking Gunn's humour on Guardians 2.

The trailers did nothing to attract anyone that was not on board already.

Which was a popular and well liked movie. Trying to attribute a low OW for this one to Guardians 2 is nonsense. Most people don't even care about the director for superhero movies.

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a testament to how absolutely brand damaging the first movie was that this might not even open to $30 million, despite the critical praise. 

Most likely there's another reason: Joker did most of the heavy lifting at box office, they should've included Leto and more romance bs with Harley from the first one, it was one of the big reasons why the first one was hyped by zoomers.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Which was a popular and well liked movie. Trying to attribute a low OW for this one to Guardians 2 is nonsense. Most people don't even care about the director for superhero movies.

And i don't think people really have a problem with Guardians 2 humour.

That movie was very well received by audiences and gross almost 400M, having pretty decent legs for such a big a sequel.

I'm sure there are complaining about it's humour online and the overall feeling that the first one was better considering it's one of the most beloved CBM movies ever, but i don't think GP cares that much about it, especially in a level of hurting TSS.

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Most likely there's another reason: Joker did most of the heavy lifting at box office, they should've included Leto and more romance bs with Harley from the first one, it was one of the big reasons why the first one was hyped by zoomers.

He really, really didn’t. He had around 10 minutes (if that) of screen time, he was nowhere near the biggest selling point. 

Leto’s Joker not being in this one is a massive positive, he’d have been massively out of place tonally.

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Most likely there's another reason: Joker did most of the heavy lifting in box office, they should've included Leto and more romance bs with Harley from the first one, it was one of the big reasons why the first one was hyped among young adults.

Its easier to act like absolutely nobody enjoyed the first film. But you're right. A lot of people liked the Harley and joker romance, just like they enjoyed the soundtrack and general aesthetic. There was a lot of factors for why SS did so well including the trailers. The diversity in the cast as well.

And almost all of that was dumped and they buried the joker/harley romance. It was a bad film, but there was definitely stuff in it that people enjoyed and the "sequel" tossed all of that out. 

I'm sure it's a great movie and I cant wait to see it this weekend but between the mediocre trailers, bad marketing, no attempt to refine and maintain things in the first film and the confusing is it a sequel or a reboot nature and on top a hard r rating when the first wasnt I dont think everything can be solely blamed on the original and it shouldnt be a surprise it wont perform well.

DC would have probably been better off just doing a hard reboot instead of this strange attempt of trying to pick out certain aspects to keep and toss while explaining nothing. 

MCU built its brand by long term pay offs and fitting the pieces together and its now what the audience expects. DC is giving 0 pay off to anything and just throwing shit at the wall while not really caring about their audience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Blaming marketing is not right when literally it has one of the biggest marketing campaign during such times. Neither BW, F8 or QP2 got such campaign ,to be fair they were delayed a lot and this was fresh but doesn't that give movie more advantage??Most big movies so far were delayed and had prolong and hindered marketing.

Biggest factor is lack of interest even if we subsidize for covid and HBO MAX.  I am surprised about this but will wait what people have to say in weekend thread to understand and give my opinions on what happened. 

I tend to believe that it is because of AQP2/F9/BW have their marketing launched before Covid-19 and that is why the focus and the hype was way more stronger. And the buzz still got carried over to their delayed release date, especially in the case of AQP2/F9, their box office run like a pre-pandemic tentpole, 

As for TSS, the marketing only kick off during pandemic, where everyone is paying attention to delta or when can they get their vaccine shot....The mood just isn't set in for any entertainment event. 

24 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

He really, really didn’t. He had around 10 minutes (if that) of screen time, he was nowhere near the biggest selling point. 

But he was. It doesn't matter how much screen time he had or how he was received, the fact is he was heavily featured in marketing, including all those stories/interviews about his "incredible method acting" which only contributed to that crazy hype, people were convinced he has big enough role and it was next iteration of Joker right after Ledger's one. The movie had a huge opening weekend because of Joker (and maybe also Will Smith). Now there's no Joker or at least Will Simth and the movie will likely have a terrible OW despite great reviews.

• Like 6

The film only has 4 rotten reviews out of 116 so far. That is great stuff. Even some of the tough critics are raving about this film.

It’s just shocking the review aren’t having much of an impact as I thought so far with pre-sales. However with Delta, HBO Max, piracy and being a sort-of sequel, this film always had an uphill battle.

Hopefully the film creates good Will needed for the DC brand and WOM will be strong.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

It’s a testament to how absolutely brand damaging the first movie was that this might not even open to $30 million, despite the critical praise. 

Wb has absolutely ruined the brand and people are just waiting to be fired. I really wonder if they want to burn it down before they leave. These suits act like children.