kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

On 7/31/2021 at 1:03 AM, Krissykins said:

Did they compete with covid and have a streaming option? 

Honestly, I knew this would happen 😂😂

You all give Jungle Cruise a pass and pile on The Suicide Squad. Predictable. 

This is honestly not a good excuse, Godzilla vs Kong had the same factors and still managed to pull off a respectable opening weekend. TSS opening in low 20 mln range would probably cause earthquake shakes in the industry, even Jungle Cruise managed to gross over 30 mln.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:23 PM, dudalb said:

I have no doubt that warners interferred with Suicide Squad, but a lot that is wrong with the film is in the basic concpets.

The much hated..and rightly so...verson of the Joker is all on Ayer's head.

It's easy to wave the banner of the heroic  artist against the evil Studio suits. but the real world is not that simple and not that Black and White.

Agreed, I wasn't attempting to wave a 'Ayer is noble' flag, either... But until someone from Warners and Ayer's side tell the full story, we will never know...  

22 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This is honestly not a good excuse, Godzilla vs Kong had the same factors and still managed to pull off a respectable opening weekend. TSS opening in low 20 mln range would probably cause earthquake shakes in the industry, even Jungle Cruise managed to gross over 30 mln.

GvK also had a trailer that generated an insane amount of buzz. It has the most amount of YouTube likes for a non-Marvel trailer and it’s currently the most viewed trailer on WB’s YouTube channel. The trailers for TSS haven’t even come close. 

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

GvK also had a trailer that generated an insane amount of buzz. It has the most amount of YouTube likes for a non-Marvel trailer and it’s currently the most viewed trailer on WB’s YouTube channel. The trailers for TSS haven’t even come close. 

That was actually the reason of concern for me, buzz was really low for this kind of movie. It'll be interesting to see the final result.

I was reasonably happy with how my plan to set a low and clear personal meltdown bar in advance for BW weekend worked out. It meant I didn’t have to recalibrate “is this good, or is this bad, or is this terrible” etc etc every time a new number rolled in (although it unfortunately it did end up going  below my meltdown bar and being a horrific crumbling flop 

Spoiler

/s 

Anyway, I think I’m going to do the same thing for this movie so I can just keep calm and carry on. And my meltdown/crumbling/flop bar will be: $21,144,800

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Skipper Eric said:

Wait...Wipeout's still on the air? :lol: 

It’s super cheap to make. IIRC they have 1 set and they use it to shoot around 20 different international versions of the show all at once.

Edited by AJG

16 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This movie is coming out in a few days and I’ve yet to see a online or tv ad :wintf: I’ve seen ads for jungle cruise and free guy and Stillwater so it’s not like I’m in a cave.

Yeah I definitely haven't noticed a big final week marketing push

38 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

This movie is coming out in a few days and I’ve yet to see a online or tv ad :wintf: I’ve seen ads for jungle cruise and free guy and Stillwater so it’s not like I’m in a cave.

Unfortunately, WB marketing thus far is positioning TSS as an additional content for their HBO max than an actual DC event. So for them no extra marketing expenses required to hype up the release 

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Unfortunately, WB marketing thus far is positioning TSS as an additional content for their HBO max than an actual DC event. So for them no extra marketing expenses required to hype up the release 

Remember when we thought they would kick up promo big time after SJ2 opened? Good times.

On vacay, but Atom started $5 ticket deal today, so I'll be back in theaters next Tuesday for next to nothing with my spouse and 1 kid (3 others passed) letting you know if it was worth the "slightly more than Snake Eyes" cost - my spouse can't wait.

PS - To get Atom deal, it's an automatic $5 off while supplies last...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

On vacay, but Atom started $5 ticket deal today, so I'll be back in theaters next Tuesday for next to nothing with my spouse and 1 kid (3 others passed) letting you know if it was worth the "slightly more than Snake Eyes" cost - my spouse can't wait.

PS - To get Atom deal, it's an automatic $5 off while supplies last...

Can I confirm what do you mean by passed? I hope nothing unfortunate here. 

17 hours ago, Lokis Legion said:

I was reasonably happy with how my plan to set a low and clear personal meltdown bar in advance for BW weekend worked out. It meant I didn’t have to recalibrate “is this good, or is this bad, or is this terrible” etc etc every time a new number rolled in (although it unfortunately it did end up going  below my meltdown bar and being a horrific crumbling flop 

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway, I think I’m going to do the same thing for this movie so I can just keep calm and carry on. And my meltdown/crumbling/flop bar will be: $21,144,800

My midpoint is around 26 rn, so that seems a good meltdown bar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

My midpoint is around 26 rn, so that seems a good meltdown bar.

Yeah, if it somehow goes under I don’t think my decision to meltdown will be particularly controversial, LOL. If it does 21.2 then a lot of people will probably be melting down around me as I shrug and say “well, it beat my bar, can’t complain 🤷‍♂️“  

But hopefully it’s just nowhere close to that.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RRA said:

Remember when we thought they would kick up promo big time after SJ2 opened? Good times.

I think the COvid resurge happened, frankly.

I think they figure the resuregence put a stiff ceiling on box office for TSS, no way would it get above 25 to 30 Million, and that you can get from the built  in audience for this film. So they cut their losses.