kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

So, I saw this in a practically empty theater tonight with my spouse and one of my boys...and again, we had a LARGE divergence of opinion.  This time, for the 1st time, I am the wet blanket reviewer, while the other 2 are not.

My spouse gave this an A- and loved it.  My tough grading boy (not the one who loves everything) gave this an A.

I gave it a C-...it's a movie that had a spectacular open, a really nice 1st 30 minutes or so, and then devolves into an absolute tonal/plotting/editing/character arc mess.  The end saves it a little (if you don't think too much about it b/c again, then you may be like WTfa), but it's not a good movie.

I guess I'm the 35+ who has higher standards:).  Although my spouse is older than me, so I teased him that for once, he saw a movie like the kids do (since this is a guy who gave an F to Detective Pikachu, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Dr Doolittle and was proud of it:)...

I'd write more but it would be spoilery...

PS - Whatever Space Jam 2 and Snake Eyes have for legs, just give like .05x more to Suicide Squad and book it...I can't see this appealing beyond the opening fan, and they'll have more things to view and worry about the next few weeks)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 8/9/2021 at 4:40 PM, Barnack said:

The way Gunn career is going, is filmography could stay somewhat relevant for a very long time, let alone DC entries.

2021The Suicide Squad (directed by)
 2017Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (directed by)
 2013Movie 43 (segment "Beezel")
 2010/ISuper
 2006Slither

Is pretty much batting 1000% imo for 15 year's

Plus he wrote Zack Snyder’s best movie . 👀

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2021 at 1:40 PM, Barnack said:

The way Gunn career is going, is filmography could stay somewhat relevant for a very long time, let alone DC entries.

2021The Suicide Squad (directed by)
 2017Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (directed by)
 2013Movie 43 (segment "Beezel")
 2010/ISuper
 2006Slither

Is pretty much batting 1000% imo for 15 year's

Super, slither and movie 43 have never been relevant. Well, movie 43 on worst films ever made lists had some relevance I guess.

Some people would be surprised that a director can have a carreer and a respected name without a big brand behind them.

Basically all directors working for MCU right now doesn't have a huge movie behind them and they are still respected in their work, that's why Feige make a deal with them to begin with.

Working for MCU gives the directors a huge boost in their careers. Like I doubt WB would have hired Gunn in 2012 to direct a big budget CBM. Same for Jon Favreau, he's got Mandalorian and two successful Disney live action movies under his belt now after Iron Man. Russos got The Gray Man at Netflix with $200M budget and WB wanted Taika for their Akira movie.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, Cap said:

Yes

captain america GIF

Also,

Please try not to call people idiots when expressing your opinions. That seems a little extreme. Thank you!

I'm sorry but we live in a world where Billie Eilish wins song of the year whilst ticktockers and influencers are worshipped. People without talent are replacing people with talent, sometimes we just have to inject this world with a little truth 

I also didn't call anyone an idiot. I may be an asshole, but I'm not 100% a dick ma'am 

Edited by Chicago
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Working for MCU gives the directors a huge boost in their careers. Like I doubt WB would have hired Gunn in 2012 to direct a big budget CBM. Same for Jon Favreau, he's got Mandalorian and two successful Disney live action movies under his belt now after Iron Man. Russos got The Gray Man at Netflix with $200M budget and WB wanted Taika for their Akira movie.

One could argue the directors gave themselves their own clout by making great movies for Marvel. It feels weird praising marvel for Jon Favrea directing them one of their best movies when he'd already had a good career prior.

Not all directors from the MCU will have amazing careers to follow, just the ones that didn't waste their opportunity and delivered a great product. Ragnorok, GOTG, WS, IM and BP were all great movies which showed the directors talent so it helped them. CA1, thor, Antman, DS and Captain Marvel were all quite average and didn't really send the directors fame sky high.

So for half of the directors, sure it's good directing and MCU movie but for the other half it could be a confidence knock getting replaced by someone else

19 minutes ago, Chicago said:

One could argue the directors gave themselves their own clout by making great movies for Marvel. It feels weird praising marvel for Jon Favrea directing them one of their best movies when he'd already had a good career prior.

Not all directors from the MCU will have amazing careers to follow, just the ones that didn't waste their opportunity and delivered a great product. Ragnorok, GOTG, WS, IM and BP were all great movies which showed the directors talent so it helped them. CA1, thor, Antman, DS and Captain Marvel were all quite average and didn't really send the directors fame sky high.

So for half of the directors, sure it's good directing and MCU movie but for the other half it could be a confidence knock getting replaced by someone else

LOL.

You realize Thor director is Kenneth Branagh, 5 times Oscar Nominee? 

Or CA1 director Joe Johnston is working in this industry as a visual effects artist, writer, producer and director for more than 40 years?

Ant-Man director Peyton Reed made his name with comedy movies and TV Shows since 1995 way before getting Ant Man?

Even Scott Derrickson made his name in the past 2 decades with succesful horror movies despite being really average as a director.

Like i said not everybody needs MCU to have a respected carrer as a director. Even the names who actually blowup commercially after their MCU entries like Taika Waititi was already building a respected name for themselves in industry before it anyway.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

LOL.

You realize Thor director is Kenneth Branagh, 5 times Oscar Nominee? 

Or CA1 director Joe Johnston is working in this industry as a visual effects artist, writer, producer and director for more than 40 years?

Ant-Man director Peyton Reed made his name with comedy movies and TV Shows since 1995 way before getting Ant Man?

Even Scott Derrickson made his name in the past 2 decades with succesful horror movies despite being really average as a director.

Like i said not everybody needs MCU to have a respected carrer as a director. Even the names who actually blowup commercially after their MCU entries like Taika Waititi was already building a respected name for themselves in industry before it anyway.

LOL 

You are literally arguing the same point as me.

All these directors were replaced. Scott Derikson gave us some bad movies prior. So as I said, merely directing a Marvel Movie doesn't guarantee you to have a great career afterwards, your film also has to be good. I didn't see DC trying to snatch Scott Derikson, Joe Johnston or Kenneth Branagh.

Edited by Chicago

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some people would be surprised that a director can have a carreer and a respected name without a big brand behind them.

Basically all directors working for MCU right now doesn't have a huge movie behind them and they are still respected in their work, that's why Feige make a deal with them to begin with.

...And because they're cheap. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chicago said:

LOL 

You are literally arguing the same point as me.

All these directors were replaced. Scott Derikson gave us some bad movies prior. So as I said, merely directing a Marvel Movie doesn't guarantee you to have a great career afterwards, your film also has to be good. I didn't see DC trying to snatch Scott Derikson, Joe Johnston or Kenneth Branagh.

Technically they've snatched two so far. I've joked before that they'll get the Russos at some point. Of course like Snyder they're deep in Netflix money right now so who knows but that endgame (har har) wouldn't shock me at all. 

As for this Marvel/directors topic, a good comp (albeit a stretch since we're talking blockbusters) is what Roger Corman in his heyday would do. Hey you want to make movies and put something on your resume or you're looking for a job? Come to me at AIP or New World. I won't pay you much and it'll be formulaic drive-in programmers where you don't have final cut *but* hey it's a credit that can help you out. Countless directors worked for him that went on to oblivion, yet another notables got their foot in the door thanks to Corman (Scorsese, Coppola, Dante, Ron Howard, etc.) that yeah it's why many people hustled for ole Roger. 

Yes we can MCU directors that came and went and subsequently who cares, yet enough made their mark at Marvel and afterwards that it's a reason why many are willing to work for them. 

(It's funny you namedropped Johnston. We've all heard the stories about Marvel and their directors sometimes not getting along, well known at this point. Johnston though has said that TFA was the most satisfying directing experience he's gone through. Of course after the BTS mess that was Wolfman beforehand, his perspective arguably was skewed but still.)

10 hours ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Super, slither and movie 43 have never been relevant. Well, movie 43 on worst films ever made lists had some relevance I guess.

And ? They are used here to show that he just made good movies has a way to predict the rest of is career and a way to predict how relevant is filmography will be. Gunn Beezel segment in movie 43 was quite good (like most of the movie)