kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

4 hours ago, TombRaider said:

ask tdk, catching fire, future days, new moon, captain america 2, thor 2, iron man 2 etc

barnack i meant blockbuster sequels to a first part not just a random forth or fifth sequel

JW 2 is pretty much similar to a 5th sequel, the first part box office is not 100% representive of how loved by audience it was and the interest in a sequel, it was in large part build in pre-made interest from being an entry of an already establish franchise.

Anyway blockbuster sequels usually tend go down also, here all the blockbuster first sequel that went up unadjusted at the domestic box office without a very long gap between the release, starting with a first high grossing entry ever:

Above 400m first entry:

Catching Fire (4% improvement)

Above 300m first entry:

Transformer 2 (26%)

Lord of the rings 2: (8%)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: 39%

Above 200m first entry:

Shrek 2: 65%

Despicable me 2: 46%

Alvin and the chipmunks 2: 1%

Dark Knight: 160%

Pretty much every other first movie that made over 200m ever sequel went down domestic. You cannot just name 7 movies like that and determine that a vast majority of the time that is the case. You need to take say 100 of them without cherry picking and looking at the percentage of time sequel grew vs declined.

There was a moment went intl market grow (like say in China), made it look more of an automatic than it was.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

JW 2 is pretty much similar to a 5th sequel, the first part box office is not 100% representive of how loved by audience it was and the interest in a sequel, it was in large part build in pre-made interest from being an entry of an already establish franchise.

Anyway blockbuster sequels usually tend go down also, here all the blockbuster first sequel that went up unadjusted at the domestic box office without a very long gap between the release, starting with a first high grossing entry ever:

Above 400m first entry:

Catching Fire (4% improvement)

Above 300m first entry:

Transformer 2 (26%)

Lord of the rings 2: (8%)

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: 39%

Above 200m first entry:

Shrek 2: 65%

Despicable me 2: 46%

Alvin and the chipmunks 2: 1%

Dark Knight: 160%

Pretty much every other first movie that made over 200m ever sequel went down domestic. You cannot just name 7 movies like that and determine that a vast majority of the time that is the case. You need to take say 100 of them without cherry picking and looking at the percentage of time sequel grew vs declined.

There was a moment went intl market grow (like say in China), made it look more of an automatic than it was.

When Barnack clocks people with the cold hard facts 

:poker:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, TombRaider said:

ask tdk, catching fire, future days, new moon, captain america 2, thor 2, iron man 2 etc

barnack i meant blockbuster sequels to a first part not just a random forth or fifth sequel

Those are all part 2’s.

This is Jurassic Park 5. The 4th sequel. 

Realistically, the money that this movie has already made right now is probably more than what people thought Jurassic World was going to make grand total before it released.

This is going to make around $1.2 billion. If you told people a few years ago that Jurassic World was going to make that much money, people wouldn't have believed you.

Fallen Kingdom's performance is hardly noteworthy either in a positive or negative light relative to expectations. Definitely not overperforming but also not really underperforming that much at least not enough to make Universal concerned at all. 

I do think Jurassic World 3 will decrease once again. By how much? Yeah no clue. 

14 minutes ago, YLF said:

Do i need to have seen the first one to watch this movie? I want to see it tonight but never watched the first one

It is a lot (if it work) a gut level sequence of set piece. Not sure the character are not the same and just basic tropes really (even if they are the same actor), lot of the setup for a sequel was just cancelled, maybe it is better to not have seen Jurassic World, there is many winks to it, but you will get some because they were Internet meme.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, YLF said:

Do i need to have seen the first one to watch this movie? I want to see it tonight but never watched the first one

No worrys. All you need to know is that there once was a park and now theres no park and a volcano will kill all the dinos if no one does anything about it.

These movies are not plot-driven, they really arent.

I like how Jurassic World goes with the I-Rex and the theory that they create the dinosaurs to look like what they think dinosaurs should look like.

In the mid 2000's, it seemed visual effects actions scenes were growing with accurate physics happening with everything going on.  Now, I think less work is required to create this.  Hollow Man 2 glided direct to video for example.  

On 7/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, TombRaider said:

Even if your list is not correct because technically JW2 is the fifth installment in the franchise, then go and ask  2 Fast 2 Furious, Gremlins 2, Maze Runner 2, Oceans 12, SW Episode 2 (or Empire strikes back, if Epi. 1 is "a forth or fifth sequel" in your book) , Lost World JP2, Harry Potter 2, Avengers 2, Paranormal Activity 2, Desolation of Smaug, PR: Uprising, Jack Reacher 2, ID2:R, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 2 (this time even though he was amazing), Final Destination 2, Home Alone 2, Conan the Destroyer, Speed 2, Matrix Reloaded, The Thing (2011 - though that was technically a prequel), Ghostbusters 2, 50 Shades dumber... and I've not even started looking up the figures for sequels to movies like Dirty Dancing, Wall Street, Basic Instinct, The Omen, The Exorcist...

The main thing is, you cannot say that normally the follow-up to a blockbuster increases at the BO when the figures are telling otherwise.

Edited by incognitoo

6 minutes ago, xxoo said:

Can it reach 400 MLN domestic ?

Looking at a graph of Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 and Hunger Games versus Jurassic World:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Jurassic-World-Fallen-Kingdom-(2018)/Hunger-Games-The/Dark-Knight-Rises-The/Iron-Man-3

It does seem likely, OW / at day 15 / where they ended

Rises: 160.88m / 328.4 / 447.9

Iron Man 3: 174 / 311.4 / 408.8

Hunger games: 152.53 / 282.14 / 405.3

Jurassic World 2: 148 / 313.86 / ?

2 movie that opened higher than Jurassic World 2 and lower than it at day 15 did go over 400m.

It started at 92% of Rises and was at 95.5% after 15 days, showing better relative legs, if it stop gaining on it it will do 428m.

400m is certainly on the table, missing it would require a really steep drop on it's box office graph relative to those 3 other movies and JW 2 has only summer days for the rest of it's run.

• Like 1

I just caught the end of The Lost World on one of the movie channels. The InGen docks in San Diego appear to have been filmed at the Southwest Marine docks in LA.

SpaceX has taken over that location to build the BFR. 

3 hours ago, scabab said:

So can we say yet if this is still going to pass $400 million? Seems like it should.

I think it will get there.  And as you know, it's doing well in a lot of Asian markets.  It might hit 1.3 billion.