kayumanggi

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM | 22 JUN 2018 | Universal | J.A. Bayona to direct | The Park is Closed | NOT THE FRANCHISE WARS THREAD

I was thinking of going to see this, but yikes at those reviews. Why is it so hard to make a good sequel to JP? TLW and JW were poor. JPIII could have been decent, except they forgot to film an ending for the movie. Maybe JP should have been one and done instead of a franchise? Although I can't argue it hasn't paid off for Universal, much likes the Cars movies for Disney.

58 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Why is it so hard to make a good sequel to JP?

This video gives quite a good idea:

(TL;DW: you can just about recapture the horror of the original, but the sense of awe and novelty for these creatures is gone forever. Even if the sequels had solid enough scripts, and so far none of them have, they're already fighting a losing battle.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

This video gives quite a good idea:

(TL;DW: you can just about recapture the horror of the original, but the sense of awe and novelty for these creatures is gone forever. Even if the sequels had solid enough scripts, and so far none of them have, they're already fighting a losing battle.)

The point that most of the human characters are idiots is very true. 

2 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

I was thinking of going to see this, but yikes at those reviews. Why is it so hard to make a good sequel to JP? TLW and JW were poor. JPIII could have been decent, except they forgot to film an ending for the movie. Maybe JP should have been one and done instead of a franchise? Although I can't argue it hasn't paid off for Universal, much likes the Cars movies for Disney.

I really believe that universal went cheap on this instead of creating a summer spectacle, for whatever reason and thus the script’s weakness is more pronounced since you don’t have the visuals to hide it, at least after the first 20 minutes.

At 50% on RT right now.

So my initial reaction to the movie 2 weeks ago was "meh". My friend semiforced me to go see it again today, and I got to see it in IMAX 3d (unfortunately I had to sit a few seats away from an annoying little kid but whatever 😕).

I thought it was a beautiful movie this time around! I understood the character decisions better, the emotions hit me harder at some of the scenes, and I thought it was the most daring Jurassic Park movie made! My friend also loved it. I feel kind of bipolar now lol..

PS. the trailer for the MEG in IMAX 3D is simply awesome <3!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

This and Transformers are immune to Rotten Tomatoes 😂. This looks to still do at least a billion WW. The critics only managed to find a chink in Transformers armor on the last movie 😂.

It's weird though...I thought the midnight showing of Infinity War was a reversal of the policy the local (AMC) theaters had the last couple of years, of only going up to 10-11PM.

But Deadpool 2 and Fallen Kingdom come out, and no midnights...so it's done whenever they feel like it, and they felt like doing IW. So, I wont be seeing this until tomorrow evening. 

I was disappointed that Vincent D'Onofrio's Hoskins was killed off in Jurassic World, he was a great villain 😂

5 hours ago, McNerdy said:

So my initial reaction to the movie 2 weeks ago was "meh". My friend semiforced me to go see it again today, and I got to see it in IMAX 3d (unfortunately I had to sit a few seats away from an annoying little kid but whatever 😕).

I thought it was a beautiful movie this time around! I understood the character decisions better, the emotions hit me harder at some of the scenes, and I thought it was the most daring Jurassic Park movie made! My friend also loved it. I feel kind of bipolar now lol..

PS. the trailer for the MEG in IMAX 3D is simply awesome <3!! 

Is it the same one we've been seeing or a new one in Imax?

I was questioning the general consensus for the first 40 minutes of the film. Bayona staged some spectacular set pieces during the first act. The volcano chase calls back to Lost World's biggest suspenseful sequence with the baby T-Rex.  A seamlessly edited action spectacle of Murphy's Law in full swing. It then hits a massive wall as soon as they leave the island. Nearly an hour's worth of exposition and villainous scheming go by only to be unceremoniously "rewarded" with a ridiculous final act that makes Lost World's San Diego rampage look amazing by comparison. In short, it goes from great adventure to boring filler, and finishes with some extremely face-palm inducing silliness. 

In a nutshell, Bayona was a superb director for this. The story and scriptwriters, on the other hand, left a lot to be desired. This movie needed a much better script because it had everything else going for it.

1 hour ago, ThePhasmid said:

I was questioning the general consensus for the first 40 minutes of the film. Bayona staged some spectacular set pieces during the first act. The volcano chase calls back to Lost World's biggest suspenseful sequence with the baby T-Rex.  A seamlessly edited action spectacle of Murphy's Law in full swing. It then hits a massive wall as soon as they leave the island. Nearly an hour's worth of exposition and villainous scheming go by only to be unceremoniously "rewarded" with a ridiculous final act that makes Lost World's San Diego rampage look amazing by comparison. In short, it goes from great adventure to boring filler, and finishes with some extremely face-palm inducing silliness. 

Completely agree! Well said. Thought the movie was really really good until they left the island. And that final scene on the Island was incredibly well done and emotional.  The score for this film was great too. 

I find this extremely interesting! Because while i thought the 1st half was very entertaining and extremely well paced, i loved the second half even more. Probably because i really appreciated the horror tone and cinematography.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I find this extremely interesting! Because while i thought the 1st half was very entertaining and extremely well paced, i loved the second half even more. Probably because i really appreciated the horror tone and cinematography.

Spoilers Ahead

The second half does present some interesting parables about genetic cloning, which I thought was better utilized during the dinner discussion in the original. However, my brain was fighting so hard to find the logic of selling captured dinosaurs IN A MANSION surrounded by a dense forest. I know this is a series that has always required a suspension of disbelief, but c'mon maaaaan.

Edited by ThePhasmid
Spoilers

17 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Yes, its incredibly stupid. Im able though (for some movies, not for all!) to ignore the horrible writing. My love for dinosaurs is strong enough for that :lol:

Edit: Forgot that this isnt the spoiler thread. I recommend that you edit your post!

Edited by Brainbug