kayumanggi

CATS | DIGITAL FUR TECH TO LOSE 113.2M IN LITTER BOX | December 20, 2019 | #ReleaseTheButtholeCut

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Doesn't the terrible sales of Grande's Charlie's Angels soundtrack prove that popularity of pop stars doesn't matter when it comes to movies?

Yes. Fandoms don’t matter when it comes to box office. 

Someone like Taylor Swift got as big as she did because she is a musician not because she’s an actress. Just because people buy your music and buy tickets to your tours doesn’t mean they want to watch you on the big screen. Especially if the product that’s on the big screen is subpar. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Feanor said:

That list is already outdated.

The newest list: 

03 -  1,939,000  - THANK U NEXT - Ariana Grande (+15,000)
04 -  1,913,000  - LOVER - Taylor Swift (+56,000)

So as you can see, Taylor is selling faster than Ariana, and there are still 6 weeks left in the year.

Therefore my statement about how Taylor is going to have the #2 album for female artists still holds true.

Also if Taylor is "done" despite still being #3 overall and being only 200k units behind the biggest IT-Girl right now, than you really need to re-evaluate your standards lol

And dont forget this is taylor's 'flop' era (the 2 first singles were terrible) and yet she's still sold really well

@Nova i agree that this film is gonna bomb, just saying that james corden is not the 'star' of this movie like the poster claimed

Edited by aladdino

3 hours ago, Feanor said:

Taylor is done when she is about to have the 2nd biggest album of the year from a female artist? Behind only Billie Eilish, who is the It-Girl of the moment. Or when she was the #1 female artist in the US just last year?

And Adele´s 25 has not sold more in the US than either Taylor's Fearless or 1989 have globally, so that statement is wrong. Also Taylor has been a huge presence in China for the past few years, so even your "never anything overseas" statement is wrong

Wrong.

You are ignoring her album to album trajectory and the fact that her material has ZERO legs. Her big album first weeks are where her stats come from, and that is simply from her (remaining) obsessed, insipid girl stans buying every version of her albums in every format in multiple quantities the fist week. Adele's 25 is about to hit 10 million copies scanned in the US, in PURE album sales. 1989 is Taylor's biggest global LP, and with physical SHIPMENTS + digital full album sales it barely nicked 10 million.

2 hours ago, aladdino said:

TS has disabled comments which bring down the number of likes anymore. so by that logic selena gomez is the girl with biggest fandom yet she can barely sell albums

People doesn't like TS posts because they can't comment????????????

2 hours ago, Feanor said:

Therefore my statement about how Taylor is going to have the #2 album for female artists still holds true.

I didn't say that Taylor is done. And your words aren't true because TS doesn't have #2 best selling album worldwide. If 3 mln people have TS album worldwide and every single one of them will go to see a movie, it will add 25$ million to box office. So what's a realistic number? 10% of this? 50%? 

And don't forget about:

Models and hair extension aficionados they may be, but successful authors they decidedly are not. Radar Online has obtained data from Nielsen BookScan that suggests Kendall and Kylie Jenner‘s dystopian novel has sold a paltry 13,000 copies since going on sale in June. 13,000! That’s like .000001% of their combined social media following!

3 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Wrong.

You are ignoring her album to album trajectory and the fact that her material has ZERO legs. Her big album first weeks are where her stats come from, and that is simply from her (remaining) obsessed, insipid girl stans buying every version of her albums in every format in multiple quantities the fist week. Adele's 25 is about to hit 10 million copies scanned in the US, in PURE album sales. 1989 is Taylor's biggest global LP, and with physical SHIPMENTS + digital full album sales it barely nicked 10 million.

Zero legs when her album is still in the top 10 on Billboard 3 months later? If everyone of her fans already bought her album in the first week, why has it then never left the top for the other 13 weeks?

And why is her previous album and the one before also still charting, 2 and 5 years after their respective releases if her stuff has zero legs?

And 1989 has far surpassed 10M in pure sales. Yes sales, not shipments. It’s at over 11M in pure sales globally right now.

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

People doesn't like TS posts because they can't comment????????????

I didn't say that Taylor is done. And your words aren't true because TS doesn't have #2 best selling album worldwide. If 3 mln people have TS album worldwide and every single one of them will go to see a movie, it will add 25$ million to box office. So what's a realistic number? 10% of this? 50%? 

And don't forget about:

Yes having comments disables decreases IG activity. People tagging other people under posts is a major driver of traffic.

And you said that “Taylor is done” clearly and explicitly in your post from a page ago, so idk why you’re trying to deflect now...

Edited by Feanor
  • Like 3

I don’t think Taylor is where she once was in terms of popularity but Im also not sure how you can say an artist is over if their album is going to be the third best selling album of the year. Is she at her commercial peak? No. And she’s probably never going to get back there BUT that’s okay. No artist remains at the very very top their whole career. I mean the reality is that she does have a rabid fan base and that is how she sells her albums BUT that’s how an artist is able to sustain stability in the latter parts of their career. And if you think about it thats the difference between someone like her and someone say like Katy Perry. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Wrong.

I laughed. If Adele is the benchmark for success, then literally no musician today is successful. She’s an anomaly, not the standard. And any argument that resorts to calling fans of someone or something insipid is clearly a weak argument.

Why is this discussion even happening? A) She very clearly still has an audience, even if she’s no longer at her peak, and it’s simply ignorant to think otherwise regardless of opinions of her; and B) this is the CATS thread! There’s so much material relating to the actual movie that we could be ripping on instead!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Feanor said:

Yes having comments disables decreases IG activity. People tagging other people under posts is a major driver of traffic.

And you said that “Taylor is done” clearly and explicitly in your post from a page ago, so idk why you’re trying to deflect now...

I have never said that Taylor is done, you are clearly confusing me with someone else... And I don't understand how you can defend aladdino words that Taylor has biggest fandom when 98-99% her IG followers doesn't like her posts, and cats trailer has just few millions views on yt.

13 hours ago, Nova said:

I don’t think Taylor is where she once was in terms of popularity but Im also not sure how you can say an artist is over if their album is going to be the third best selling album of the year. Is she at her commercial peak? No. And she’s probably never going to get back there BUT that’s okay. No artist remains at the very very top their whole career. I mean the reality is that she does have a rabid fan base and that is how she sells her albums BUT that’s how an artist is able to sustain stability in the latter parts of their career. And if you think about it thats the difference between someone like her and someone say like Katy Perry. 

If you take into account touring, which is the real marker of your popularity, in the states,she is at her peak.

She just did a stadium only tour in the US in 2018, which very very few artists were able to do in the history on music.

Normaly, in the US, you can do a mix of stadiums  and arenas but doing only stadiums show your popularity is ludicrous.

It puts you in very rarified air with the Likes of The Rolling Stones, U2, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses at their peak etc the boy bands of the late nineties/early 2000's.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Social Media following is pretty much a nonsense. 

Ariana didn’t help Charlie’s Angels or Scream Queens. Taylor’s involvement won’t help this (noticeably) beyond some retweets. 

These social media fans are loud, but they’re also cheap and don’t spend any money. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

These social media fans are loud, but they’re also cheap and don’t spend any money. 

Kind of the same thing with Sonic. Sure, the movie is getting a lot of buzz on social media but they aren't gonna be spending money to watch the movie cuz they're cheap. That's what happened with Pikachu too (I bet almost none of the "OMG Pikachu so cute" people on twitter actually saw the movie).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

We clearly need more movies that provoke music artist fan wars. Marvel vs DC is sooooo 2016.

I feel like this happens every time a new movie starring a famous pop singer comes out. The same thing happened in the thread for A Star Is Born with people arguing back and forth about the current state of Lady Gaga's singing career before it opened last year. Don't think it happened for Beyoncé and The Lion King but then again it was The Lion King.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

I feel like this happens every time a new movie starring a famous pop singer comes out. The same thing happened in the thread for A Star Is Born with people arguing back and forth about the current state of Lady Gaga's singing career before it opened last year. Don't think it happened for Beyoncé and The Lion King but then again it was The Lion King.

It did, though to a lesser degree, also the usual suspects chiming in about her talent level in general. Whenever there's a JLo movie, you get endless back and forth about her musical relevance. With ASIB, on top of the pop gurl wars, you had blind item sites stoking the flames with fake rumors to bait rival stans: supposedly, the studio was so worried it would flop and the leads had no chemistry (lol). 

I guess Cats is so weird on its own, there's no need to make up fake news about what a mess it could be. So it's just fans and haters throwing out album/streaming/follower stats, like that will have any impact on the movie's reviews or box office. Some people just can't help themselves I guess.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah the Lion King came out unscathed. I remember what you're talking about re: Star is Born though.

I also happen to know several music artist super fans so that's how I know they can be pretty nuts in their fandom.

• Like 1