Fancyarcher

Mortal Engines | December 14, 2018 | Universal

Recent payouts under the scheme include $7.8m to the producers of Tom Cruise action vehicle Mission Impossible 6, and $24.6m - with more to come - for Jackson's upcoming Mortal Engines.

From a recent article. I think that's meant to be 25% of the budget (that's the deal for Avatar, anyway. Not sure if that's for every movie) so that would point to a budget around 100M, give or take.

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

From a recent article. I think that's meant to be 25% of the budget (that's the deal for Avatar, anyway. Not sure if that's for every movie) so that would point to a budget around 100M, give or take.

So $75m net outlay, needs around $200m WW to go into profit. 

I think it could do it.

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

they think Hobbit was liked? Oh my sweet Kiwi children. :hahaha:

If people hated Hobbit i'm pretty sure it would have lost a lot of its audience throughout its 3 film run. It didn't. I think it's evidence enough that it was liked. Maybe not loved but liked well enough.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Elessar said:

If people hated Hobbit i'm pretty sure it would have lost a lot of its audience throughout its 3 film run. It didn't. I think its evidence enough that it was liked. Maybe not loved but liked well enough.

C'mon, man. It's unnecessary to mention it with LOTR cause it's super inferior to THE TRILOGY (suck it Kevin Smith)  and many LOTR fans don't want to remember that it was made. It wasn't an abomination but it was just completely shruggable filler-meets-badfic that needn't have been made. 

But anyway, LOTR mention can't save this turd so Hobbit mention won't sink it either since it'll bomb on its own. Looks embarrassing. 

Edited by Valonqar

I loved the Lord of the Rings films, and I liked the Hobbit films, and I see echoes of those films in that trailer, so even though there's CGI on top of CGI in the middle of a CGI SANDWICH, I'm willing to forgive that, as I forgave the Hobbit films for it (as a casual cinephile), and I'm personally willing to be cautiously optimistic about this. I think I'm prioritizing other films for the Holiday season (that Spider-Man film, Mary Poppins, The Mule, various Oscar candidates), but I'm still keeping my eye on this one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

C'mon, man. It's unnecessary to mention it with LOTR cause it's super inferior to THE TRILOGY (suck it Kevin Smith)  and many LOTR fans don't want to remember that it was made. It wasn't an abomination but it was just completely shruggable filler-meets-badfic that needn't have been made. 

I could also argue many LOTR fans enjoyed Hobbit. Nobody can provide hard numbers either way. The only thing we can go on is that people came back for the sequels for the most part. Sure, it's vastly inferior to LOTR but LOTR was a phenomenon, IMHO. It could just be me but i'd also say the book is vastly inferior to the LOTR books. It made a lot of money worldwide, i guess that's why it's on the poster.

Embarassing - the usual internet hyperbole. Nothing about Mortal Engines looks embarassing. It looks pretty competently made.

• Like 2

Some new guy directed the film it's not Peter Jackson. Which is either good or bad depending on your point of view.

I might check it out in December if I find someone else that interested to go.

December is a pretty friendly time for multiple movies doing well.

Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
Release
Month
Average
Multiplier
Median
Multiplier
January 2.88 2.66 July 3.30 3.22
February 2.81 2.73 August 3.22 3.00
March 3.02 2.89 September 2.87 2.75
April 2.76 2.65 October 3.02 2.75
May 2.95 2.82 November 3.43 3.23
June 3.13 3.01 December 5.45 4.76
all (1025 movies) 3.21 2.93
excludes 2018 releases
highest month in blue; lowest month in red

numbers from top opening domestic earners (2008-2017) as of August 16, 2018

On the other hand you can wind up like The Golden Compass (Dec. 2007 - 2.72 domestic multiplier; $70.1M/$93.6M domestic adjusted to ticket price of 2018; made about as much money as Solo did globally 11 years ago) (I read all the books and don't hate that movie and will check out the TV series when it launches) but I think the environment is a little friendlier domestically now than 11 years ago for that type of movie (December Star Wars has done better; The Hobbit December movies did well riding the coattails of The Lord of Rings movies) but I don't know if this book series was anywhere as popular worldwide as Philip Pullman's book series is - I'll guess not.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
  • Like 1