CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not upset by these reviews at all thus far, but this definitely doesn’t sound like something that has mainstream appeal. 

That’s gonna be a major problem when it comes to the box office. Especially since WB films have done awful with the HBO max deal

I have to know what someone (a critic, a viewer) is meaning when they say or imply a film is “boring". Do they mean it is slow-paced? Not action-filled enough? Doesn’t have enough melodrama? The characters are uninteresting? It lacks a deeper emotional core? Intellectual core? It fails to say something interesting about the world?

“Boring” and even "slow-paced" are imprecise terms - what is slow for one viewer is a film that engrosses and flies by for another. What exactly didn’t engage the person? Depending on their definition of “boring”, a film could still be incredibly interesting and compelling, from my vantage point. It depends.

Arrival was "boring" for the average person in my life, but had me absolutely enthralled, thematically, philosophically, and viscerally - the exceedingly rare transcendent movie experience for me. 

Without knowing much about the original Dune novel, and without reading the reviews (as I don't want to spoil myself), it's hard for me to say what the approach of the film is and what it (and the source material) is aiming to do/say, and if I will be drawn in or not. I hope for the best, given the director, but we'll see.

Peace,

Mike

20 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, who wrote that thread title? It’s 85% on rotten tomatoes so far.

Mods? That’s definitely classed as “poisoning the well”. 

3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

85% rt  8.3/10 avg ,7.9/10 for top critics.

MC is at 76%

Wtf is that thread title😂.

I don't know who did the thread title, but let me say upfront why we had "mixed reviews coming in"...because it started out quite mixed in terms of reactions, including a few negative reviews. Obviously now things are different, but we simply wrote with the material we were given with when the review embargo dropped. This isn't out of malice or "poisoning the well", but just what things looked like.

And believe it or not, the mods have other things to worry about. We're not stalking RT scores and reviews. We have jobs to look over, other hobbies that take up our time, site-related issues to take care of. I'm sorry that we didn't change it until now, but I can't drop everything over something as insignificant as a thread title. Please quit it with the condescension and attitude and don't act like we're out to get this movie.

17 minutes ago, TMP said:

I’m fine with the glacier pacing if it’s as involving to me as Villeneuve’s other work. Still very very excited

But will the general public..that is the question.

I like Villenueve but don't think he is god incapable of error like some of his cult do.

This will probably end like BR2049. Very good average (which is what matter) and not so impressive %

There lots of movies with +90% and 6.7 average. And there movies with "only" 85% but 8.0 average, which one is better received? To me always the bigger average.

Dune is being a little more divisive than what i expect but nothing wow, i still think it will have an average around 8.0 more or less, but below 90%. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

US critics acted as if they thought they could derail Joker's boxoffice, awards,everything. Some were claiming it would incite mass shooting and then acted very disappointed when that didn't happen. It was really bizarre and Joker's boxoffice sensation and then phenomenal showing with Oscars were glorious to watch for all the disbelif that relentless smear camapigning didn't work at all but quite possibly helped build the interest. 

Probably one of the most embarrassing things I've seen around s film in quite some time.

Media seemed to be egging on and wanting violence to happen.

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

I mean, whether the movie bombs or not matters less to me than if I enjoy it or not

But if you want a part 2 box office sure as hell matters....

And you are only getting half the novel with this.

Edited by dudalb

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But if you want a part 2 box office sure as hell matters....

And you are only getting half the novel with this.

Absolutely. My feeling is the film was destined to do poorly at the box office the moment it was announced as a simultaneous release. Of course, even if it was a theatrical exclusive, it may have still done poorly, if it is not something that resonates with general audiences. But I suppose what I'm saying is I haven't been concerned about the box office for a while since I've felt it was set up to do poorly to begin with, and have accepted that reality.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

58 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I have to know what someone (a critic, a viewer) is meaning when they say or imply a film is “boring". Do they mean it is slow-paced? Not action-filled enough? Doesn’t have enough melodrama? The characters are uninteresting? It lacks a deeper emotional core? Intellectual core? It fails to say something interesting about the world?

“Boring” and even "slow-paced" are imprecise terms - what is slow for one viewer is a film that engrosses and flies by for another. What exactly didn’t engage the person? Depending on their definition of “boring”, a film could still be incredibly interesting and compelling, from my vantage point. It depends.

Arrival was "boring" for the average person in my life, but had me absolutely enthralled, thematically, philosophically, and viscerally - the exceedingly rare transcendent movie experience for me. 

Without knowing much about the original Dune novel, and without reading the reviews (as I don't want to spoil myself), it's hard for me to say what the approach of the film is and what it (and the source material) is aiming to do/say, and if I will be drawn in or not. I hope for the best, given the director, but we'll see.

Peace,

Mike

These are good points. I’ll lead with the fact Arrival was my favorite film of 2016 and I loved Blade Runner 2049. Slow isn’t generally an issue for me…

…if it’s engaging, and that was my problem with Dune. I never cared. Villains wander in for a scene or two, seemingly to set up another movie. Paul is an unengaging cypher. Major characters just vanish.  @Amorphous and I spent time after the screening puzzling out whether one of the stars died or just disappeared to pop back up in the sequel.

It’s all world-building with very little in the way of character. 

For me, at least!

Edited by The Dark Shape
  • Like 1

To compare and contrast with previous Denis movies on RT at this point. Here's what we got after 27 reviews:

• Dune                           85%    8.4/10
  • Blade Runner 2049     96%    8.7/10
  • Arrival                       100%    8.4/10
  • Sicario                         93%    8.1/10
  • Prisoners                     85%    7.4/10

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Dark Shape said:

These are good points. I’ll lead with the fact Arrival was my favorite film of 2016 and I loved Blade Runner 2049. Slow isn’t generally an issue for me…

…if it’s engaging, and that was my problem with Dune. I never cared. Villains wander in for a scene or two, seemingly to set up another movie. Paul is an unengaging cypher. Major characters just vanish.  @Amorphous and I spent time after the screening puzzling out whether one of the stars died or just disappeared to pop back up in the sequel.

It’s all world-building with very little in the way of character. 

For me, at least!

I appreciate you sharing your perspective! A lack of strong characters to connect with can definitely make for an unengaging experience for me, depending on the film.

When I'm able to see it in October, I'll report back and let you know if I agree. :) 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ

Great response from critics. Those who liked it really love it. I continue to believe there will be enough interest to make it a hit, my main concern is the international box office situation. Are things going back to normal at the same pace as in the U.S.? I haven't been following but the international numbers for the movies released this year (minus China) seem very low to me. I think Dune will do good enough domestically after adding HBO Max views.

2 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

And believe it or not, the mods have other things to worry about. We're not stalking RT scores and reviews. We have jobs to look over, other hobbies that take up our time, site-related issues to take care of. I'm sorry that we didn't change it until now, but I can't drop everything over something as insignificant as a thread title. Please quit it with the condescension and attitude and don't act like we're out to get this movie.

Attitude? Because I pointed it out?

Huh?

Additionally, I didn’t say a single thing about the length of time it took you to fix it? 

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Attitude? Because I pointed it out?

Huh?

Additionally, I didn’t say a single thing about the length of time it took you to fix it? 

Upon an initial read, it seemed that you were implying that the staff was deliberately trying to poison the well and making things worse. But on a reread, I realize I was mistaken and that you just wanted things to be fixed. I'm very sorry for what I said and I should have done a better job understanding what you tried to say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1