CaptainJackSparrow

⊃∪∩⪽ | Legendary | October 22 2021 | Denis Villeneuve | Returns to IMAX on December 3

Just now, Menor said:

I'm still looking forward to this but generally first reviews from a festival should be quite positive. It is still positive here but there are more negatives than I expected. And (more concerning) the flaws mentioned seem like things that will kill the appeal to general audiences. 

Had always been my take. Denis Villeneuve doing Dune is much more appealing to people familiar with Dune than people with no fucking idea what Dune is

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But audience reviews won't be nearly as good most likely. General audience LOVED Interstellar.

Honestly, given Denis Villeneuve's history  this was a given regardless of if the reviews matched his previous work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

I get Mad Max Fury Road vibes. A film that a generation will absolutely adore, yet cost too much to make and didn’t have any direct sequels. 

How? Fury Road was loved by everyone out the gate, this...not so much (and only the trades have seen it so far, who knows what will happen once it moves beyond the festival circuit).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think i'm gonna dig it but this shit is gonna reinvent the definition of the word flop.

Agreed, even the very positive reviews have the dreaded "slow burn" phrase attached to them which combined with the property's reputation will be a GA interest killer.

Now that the reviews are out this probably would've struggled to make much more than Blade Runner 2049 did had it made its pre-COVID release date of last December but it doesn't matter now since like all of WB's movies this year it's a write-off after the HBO Max announcement.

Just now, filmlover said:

Now that the reviews are out this probably would've struggled to make much more than Blade Runner 2049 did had it made its pre-COVID release date of last December but it doesn't matter now since like all of WB's movies this year it's a write-off after the HBO Max announcement.

HBO Max is definitely the best thing that could have happened to Dune, any underperformance can be masked there. The release date is also so bad, right after Bond, Venom and Halloween.