franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

I usually try to shy away from these kind of subjects because they're not something I really care discussing about, at least not online. But I think reactions to this are a bit over the fucking top. Subjectively speaking, I think there's more hate than needed for Gunn. Much more hate than needed. People are going around and calling him a pedophile/rapist or whatever due to a few bad jokes. I mean, the dude maybe just has some really shitty fucking humor. People are too fucking sensitive nowadays. They act like they were raised inside a protective innocence bubble. It's scary that something like that can ruin your career, because someone wakes up and is offended. I'd totally agree if there were facts that Gunn actually is a pedophile/rapist (be it any kind of proof other than some tweets from 6-11 years ago). But if we're to judge on jokes made online, a vast amount of people would be considered pedophiles/rapists/misogynistic pigs. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChD said:

I usually try to shy away from these kind of subjects because they're not something I really care discussing about, at least not online. But I think reactions to this are a bit over the fucking top. Subjectively speaking, I think there's more hate than needed for Gunn. Much more hate than needed. People are going around and calling him a pedophile/rapist or whatever due to a few bad jokes. I mean, the dude maybe just has some really shitty fucking humor. People are too fucking sensitive nowadays. They act like they were raised inside a protective innocence bubble. It's scary that something like that can ruin your career, because someone wakes up and is offended. I'd totally agree if there were facts that Gunn actually is a pedophile/rapist (be it any kind of proof other than some tweets from 6-11 years ago). But if we're to judge on jokes made online, a vast amount of people would be considered pedophiles/rapists/misogynistic pigs. 

Apparently, you don't understand progress.

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

If he's so obsessed with pedo and rape "jokes", it could easily imply that there's something very wrong with him.

Oh no. It could easily imply! Well if it could easily imply that settles it. That's definitely unacceptable. Who cares about actual actions, facts, all those insignificant things, when we have something that could easily imply shit.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

James is getting more support than I expected. And I will say that while I personally was initially in support of the firing, I am starting to get the impression that he really had changed in the past 6 years or so and am no longer so sure.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Let’s please stop trying to put James Gunn in the same category as two serial rapists.

Especially when James Gunn has had more consequences than Polanski or Kelly combined.  

Thanks.

Polanski has *one* confirmed/admitted assault.  So I wouldn't put him in the category of "serial." 

:Off to get a trash bag to cover myself from the mob:

Edited by Macleod

I didint really want to share my opinion on this shitfest but i changed my mind.

Imagine how James Gunn is probably feeling right now. Thousands of people online calling him (wrongly) a rapist or pedophile. Hes fired from his passion project, hes no langer aible to write the storyline for characters he truly loves and cares about. All the while the people who digged out these tweets are far worse than him imo. That can seriously break some people. I hope Gunn is okay in the future.

Theres only loosers here. Gunn ofc. Disney, because they showed how easy it can be for a small group of people to make them fire their employees, thus creating a precedent for the future. MCU fans/the cast and production team of GOTG. Its an all around shitty situation for so many people.

All because someone digged up some stupid tweets. These tweets range from irritating to disgusting, yes. Gunn is an idiot for writing them in the first place and not deleting them before, yes. But hes also apologized for them a long time ago. People make mistakes. Some mistakes are unforgivable like rape or murder. Writing tons of bad jokes is absolutely a forgivable mistake, there should be no fucking discussion around it.

Hes not harmed anyone; he just made a lot of unfunny, stupid jokes on Twitter. If thats a reason to fire someone when hes clearly a different person now than when he wrote those tweets, it shows how far this idiotic society has come. Cases like these are the reason why i hate most of the Social Media, which should be renamed into unsocial media to be honest. Its why i mostly try to stay away from politics.

I personally made stupid, bad jokes in the past, online and in real life. Some of these jokes were about rape. I told these jokes to other people when i was a teenager and everyone i talked to found these jokes to be amusing. Today, i stay away from many themes when i make jokes, like rape, pedophilia or mental illnesses. Because i dont find them funny anymore. With some time and progress of my personality i realized that these jokes can really hurt the feeling of other people, whether they hear the jokes or not doesnt matter. I changed and im sorry if i ever hurt the feeling of someone in the past because i made a bad joke.

So, clearly, i should be fired in an instant when someone would dig up like an old video of me telling a bad joke, right? NO.

Fuck Disney. 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

What happens if the actors refuse to make GOTG 3 without Gunn? Will Disney rehire him?

In general enforcing contract to make stars do stuff they do not want too, when they have some good legitimate PR reason and already a lot of money can be an unpleasing situation for a studio and the world press tour can become a mess if you use contractual obligation to force them.

If the actor play it well, in private deal, ready to wait 8 month to make the rehiring official once the storm, Fox transaction past, PR strategy in place about Gunn having changed we overreacted, artist liberties of thought and expression are important, etc... maybe a rehiring.

Because little money has been spent has of now, cancelling the movie alltogether could also happen.

IDK how I feel about this.

They were terrible, inappropriate jokes. This was addressed 6 years ago. He's apologized twice. I don't think he should've been fired. Disney should've just forced him to do PSAs or something. He seems like a good dude now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In general enforcing contract to make stars do stuff they do not want too, when they have some good legitimate PR reason and already a lot of money can be an unpleasing situation for a studio and the world press tour can become a mess if you use contractual obligation to force them.

If the actor play it well, in private deal, ready to wait 8 month to make the rehiring official once the storm, Fox transaction past, PR strategy in place about Gunn having changed we overreacted, artist liberties of thought and expression are important, etc... maybe a rehiring.

Because little money has been spent has of now, cancelling the movie alltogether could also happen.

I guess Disney should keep their mouths shut, just like the actors. The whole thing is a PR nightmare now.

They probably should have the option to cancel GOTG 3 and bring the Guardians to make a cameo in another movie, if that's better.