FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

3 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I'm not entirely convinced that The Lion King is going to be so much bigger than BATB.  Still huge, but performing on par with BATB would be good for it.

It will be bigger because is more "neutral" in terms of appealing to men.
But, at the same time, it's will be less interesting because it's the same but with cgi. In BATB you have real actors being your fav childhood characters.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

I'm not entirely convinced that The Lion King is going to be so much bigger than BATB.  Still huge, but performing on par with BATB would be good for it.

It has singing cats. That's gonna give dinos a run for their money. Just watch. 

@Alli So true. Fingers crossed for The Greatest Showman!

• Like 1

There need to be a lot of things going well for The Lion King remake to match or surpass the success of Batb.

It's not like beauty made what it did solely based on the popularity of the animated. Everything from day one run perfectly for it.

And keep in mind that Beauty and the Beast is far from an animated film

It is a well known tale by its own which does not apply to The Lion King.

I am thinking about huge numbers about it but can't be sure at least until I see a trailer

P.S. I also don't really understand the reason for a remake when only animals are featured. It is a different thing seeing well known actors playing the roles of beloved animated characters than watching just CGI animals..

I wonder how well Mulan will do next year.  The public reactions from social media were not supportive or positive, especially considering how iconic "I'll Make a Man Out of You" and "Reflection" are.  We were having a discussion about it in class and I swear there were melt downs when the teacher said, "Did you guys hear about Mulan not being a musical?"  BUT if its cinematography, direction, etc. take inspiration from some of the most well renowned, respected, and greatest Asian films (since Asian films are known for their art direction, cinematography and use of colors to elevate the film and are just as integral to the story as the actors and dialogue are), then I can live with it.  

Hopefully it does better than Cinderella and Maleficent domestically and worldwide.  I don't really see it being a billion box-office contender now that the musical aspect is gone and Shang has apparently been removed from the film.  But that's the beauty of storytelling: there are many variants and perspectives when telling and interpreting a story and we have to be open minded! 

As for this week's box-office... I don't really care for Power Rangers or Life and am content with Get Out and Beauty and the Beast continuing to perform very well. 

• Like 3

2017 gave us the 1st 200-300 movie pretty early, a couple of months into the year - Logan, March 1st. 

Last year we had to wait till Nov to get DS (and FB, Moana and later on Sing in Dec).

Edited by a2knet

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

2017 gave us the 1st 200-300 movie pretty early, a couple of months into the year - Logan, March 1st. 

Last year we had to wait till Nov to get DS (and FB, Moana and later on Sing in Dec).

There could be quite a few films in that range this year, which is a nice trend IMO.

Kong was awesome by the way.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

There need to be a lot of things going well for The Lion King remake to match or surpass the success of Batb.

It's not like beauty made what it did solely based on the popularity of the animated. Everything from day one run perfectly for it.

And keep in mind that Beauty and the Beast is far from an animated film

It is a well known tale by its own which does not apply to The Lion King.

I am thinking about huge numbers about it but can't be sure at least until I see a trailer

P.S. I also don't really understand the reason for a remake when only animals are featured. It is a different thing seeing well known actors playing the roles of beloved animated characters than watching just CGI animals..

I agree that BaTB has been such a phenom that I hazard to predict anything short of Avatar 2 is guaranteed to match it, but about the two bolded points:

1) At this point, thanks to the $1 Billion movie and the 60 million home video sales and the $6 Billion play and the $10 Billion in merchandise sold over the past 20+ years, knowledge of the Lion King story has to be pretty much universal.

2) The reason for the remake is a chance to make gobs more money.

Edited by SteveJaros

1 minute ago, davincicode1 said:

I fail to understand how I was able to warrant so much outrage without posting a single word.....

cWQyu97.gif

and this gif is already more iconic and talked about than Life

wXBWUbe.gif

• Like 6