grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Eric Safin said:

Major Theater Company. We used to name the proper theater companies themselves, but changed to MTC to respect the companies and their privacy.

That makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Eternals MTC2

Thursday:

Showtimes: 1916

Seats Sold: 5985/313571

Shang-Chi at the same time:

Showtimes: 2041

Seats Sold: 3756/322892

Excellent start. It's even better considering both Eternals and Shang-Chi probably had around 1000 blocked seats, so the true ticket sales would be about 5000 vs 2700. 

MTC ratios for MCU movies always skew on MTC1 end. BW was 30/20K end of day 1 and so that was the least skewed of the 3 MCU releases so far. Venom 2 was also close between the 2 MTC. 

Anyway MTC1 up to 21557/344371 394205.07 1738 shows.  Definitely a strong day 1 and looking at record OW for past 2 years. but MCU movies tend to be frontloaded and so let us wait and see where things are during release week. I will update tomorrow morning and then take a break. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

MTC ratios for MCU movies always skew on MTC1 end. BW was 30/20K end of day 1 and so that was the least skewed of the 3 MCU releases so far. Venom 2 was also close between the 2 MTC. 

Anyway MTC1 up to 21557/344371 394205.07 1738 shows.  Definitely a strong day 1 and looking at record OW for past 2 years. but MCU movies tend to be frontloaded and so let us wait and see where things are during release week. I will update tomorrow morning and then take a break. 

Excellent. SC was at a similar point in its first 24 hours, really impressive to match that in less than 4. This has 7 days more of PS than that one as well. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 2

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Random unrelated thought: what did the tracking here look like for Solo way back when? I know there was much ado with presales being better than Black Panther but how did it look on here? Was it just a shit ton of presales but no walk-ups?

V v frontloaded.

Strong enough out of the gate, but then just died down and had relatively little oomph the week of sales.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't know if it's just a smattering of some of my theaters or not, but at least a couple of locals have raised ticket prices for Eternals.

Dune XD price:     17.25

Eternals XD price: 18.25

Dune standard 2D:             14.25

Eternals standard 2d price: 15.25

Noticed this at both Century Arden and Century Greenback.  Regal seems to be the same prices for both movies at the moment so no adjustments needed there.  Haven't gotten to the smaller chains in my neck of the woods. 

If a sample size of two is anything,  CInemark looks to be using this as a time to hike prices, so keep that in mind when calculating their ATPs.

EDIT:::  

Even the cheaper Cinemarks in town look to be raising their ticket prices, though in this case it's from $8 to $8.50.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Don't know if it's just a smattering of some of my theaters or not, but at least a couple of locals have raised ticket prices for Eternals.

Same thing here. +$1 in one theater and +$0.50 in another

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Dune XD price:     17.25

Eternals XD price: 18.25

Dune standard 2D:             14.25

Eternals standard 2d price: 15.25

Noticed this at both Century Arden and Century Greenback.  Regal seems to be the same prices for both movies at the moment so no adjustments needed there.  Haven't gotten to the smaller chains in my neck of the woods. 

If a sample size of two is anything,  CInemark looks to be using this as a time to hike prices, so keep that in mind when calculating their ATPs.

EDIT:::  

Even the cheaper Cinemarks in town look to be raising their ticket prices, though in this case it's from $8 to $8.50.

Mine raised them Oct 1, in time for Venom - annoyed me, so I went to Regal:)...which I rarely do, but when it's $2/ticket cheaper, and you're bringing 6 people, well...it bought the popcorn:)...

• Like 4

The Last Duel counted today at 8am EST (so a bit earlier) for Thursday, October 14:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): so far no showtimes
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 7 (1 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 1 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (1 showtime)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 3 (2 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 26 (2 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 37 (6 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 74.

The Last Duel counted today at 8am EST for Friday, October 15:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7):
so far no showtimes
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 5 (showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 2 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 4 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 7 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 28 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 46.

Comps: Stillwater (5.2M OW) had on Monday of its release week for Friday 17 sold tickets (also no showtimes in the AMC in NY)

and The Green Knight (6.8M OW) had also on Monday of its release week for Friday 159 sold tickets in 5 theaters.
So at the moment it's doing better than Stillwater and worse than The Green Knight. No idea so far,
maybe it can come closer to The Green Knight over the next few days.
By the way I think this movie has a broader appeal than the other two films because of the cast, the director, the marketing and its atmospheric look.

Halloween Kills also counted today at 8am EST for Friday, October 15:

111 (3 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 27 (1 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 43 (1 showtime)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): so far no showtimes
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 35 (2 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 67 (2 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 308 (11 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 591.
Comps: AQP II (4.8M from previews) had on Monday of its release week 747 sold tickets for Thursday = 79% at the moment and 3.8M in previews

and The Forever Purge (1.33M from previews) had on the same day 104 sold tickets for Thursday = 7.55M in previews.

Halloween Kills counted today at 8am EST for Friday, October 15:

197 (6 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 32 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 46 (3 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 8 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 22 (2 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 46 (4 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 399 (7 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 6 theaters: 750.

Comps: The Conjuring 3 (24.1M OW) had on Monday of its release week 641 sold tickets but it could matter that The Conjuring had no Thurday previews and therefore its Friday presales looked a bit better than they would have with previews,
Old (16.9M OW) had on the same day 150 sold tickets for Friday
and The Invisible Man (28.2M OW) had on the same day 323 sold tickets for Friday.

A bit uneven at the moment but I also start to think that Peacock will not hurt as much as I thought.

PS: Hallo Felicitas :).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@SpiderByte

More seriously, it was much more apparent to some than others.  Some saw it coming relatively soon.  Others (*cough*) were holding out hope for a increase toward the end.  Or at least some sort of bump. 

But even die-hard/delusional folks like myself had a sinking pit in my stomach start to develop when it just... sat there and didn't really increase all that much the week of sales.  

(still have to think that while the tracking thread saw the underperformance coming, the level of it was still something of a [unpleasant] surprise)

• Like 1