grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

All of the September 22 releases are on sale now. It doesn't look like Ninjago is having previews because no theater has Thursday showings up for it.

Also, it looks like Battle of the Sexes won't be starting out in NY/LA on the 22nd because the Altamonte Mall AMC has tickets on sale for that weekend. I'm guessing it launches in around 400 theaters and hits 1,500+ on the 29th.

Oh shit, Thor is getting both of my AMC's biggest auditoriums including the 3D showings :jeb!: 

Kingsman has the biggest, Ninjago has the 2nd biggest (no idea if it has a separate 3D screen because showings are still being uploaded), and I'm assuming Friend Request has an average one like Thursday night because weekend showings aren't up yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

What are we thinking for IT's preview number? 6M? 10M?

Not really any perfect comparable but a list of horror preview number:

Paranormal Activity 4 2012 $4.500 M

Paranormal Activity 2 2010 $6.300 M

Paranormal Activity 3 2011 $8.000 M

Annabelle: Creation 2017 $4.000 M

Annabelle: 2.1

Conjuring 2: 3.4

Conjuring: 3

I must imagine that beating Paranormal Activity 3 (8m) by a large amount is certainly in play and that doubling conjuring 2 (6.8m) would be a floor.

The biggest  non YA / Comic  book movie / Star Wars / jurassic park a bit less classical type preview were:

Beauty and the beast: 16m

Pirate world end: 16m

Furious 7: 15.8m

Fate of the furious : 10.8m

Godzilla: 9.3m

I think getting around Godzilla/Fate 8 is possible yes.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Annabelle: Creation 2017 $4.000 M

Annabelle: 2.1

Conjuring 2: 3.4

Conjuring: 3

I must imagine that beating Paranormal Activity 3 (8m) by a large amount is certainly in play and that doubling conjuring 2 (6.8m) would be a floor.

The biggest  YA/Comic  book movie/Star Wars jurassic park less classical type preview were:

Beauty and the beast: 16m

Pirate world end: 16m

Furious 7: 15.8m

Fate of the furious : 10.8m

Godzilla: 9.3m

I think getting around Godzilla/Fate 8 is possible yes.

I think 10M+. Rated R movies especially horror have good walk up business for the night showings.  If that plays out on top of the high presales it'll be impressive..and there are plenty of places and times to watch it.

While I was getting my ticket for Good Time, I asked the employee what was going on with the hurricane. She said she expects the theaters owned by this chain to be closed on Sunday and Monday, but nothing has been decided yet. Surrounding entertainment has been cancelled for the weekend, so I won't be surprised if they're doing an early Saturday close like AMC

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

While I was getting my ticket for Good Time, I asked the employee what was going on with the hurricane. She said she expects the theaters owned by this chain to be closed on Sunday and Monday, but nothing has been decided yet. Surrounding entertainment has been cancelled for the weekend, so I won't be surprised if they're doing an early Saturday close like AMC

As a side note, stay safe out there Wrath.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Those are just amazing numbers for the Paranormal Activity series.  These were at midnight too!  I could not imagine how packed it must have been at midnight for these low budget supernatural horror movies..... Did people actually wait hours in line to get good seats?  Front row for a Paranormal Movie at midnight????   and the awful reception they got!  What an interesting experience.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

IT: 140 sales avg per minute (same as SM:HC at 1pm).  Annabelle was doing 46.5 per minute at... 7:30pm

I imagine that is Annabelle sequel and not the original ?

That is really impressive and still in line with a .......... 100m OW.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine that is Annabelle sequel and not the original ?

That is really impressive and still in line with a .......... 100m OW.

Yes the sequel.   I don't think we even had Pulse for the original and I wasn't ale to start tracking with it until this summer.

Also Aliens was doing 50 per minute at 9pm Thursday

• Like 1