grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

30 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Thanks as always for your numbers, but you are not doing Deadpool 2.13?

Don't really see the point in doing so, at least compared to everything else. It's so radically different from everything else (re-release, 12 day limited engagement) that there aren't any good comps, and I don't really think there's much interest in that. Also, I'm already looking at 8 other movies, possibly 10 if Holmes & Watson or Vice pop up randomly. Maybe I'll do it if the demand is there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Movie/Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday

Mortal Engines 81 71 116
The Mule 7 18 18
Spider-Verse 722 757 1365

Mary Poppins 913 867 919

Aquaman 1263 1101 1153
Bumblebee 420 450 474
Second Act 0 2 1
Marwen 0 0 1

The Spider-Verse jump is being inflated by this weekend's preview screenings, but it's still doing very well.

I plan to extrapolate the Bumblebee numbers later and see how much it's being inflated by the previews this Saturday. It seems like a good chunk of Bumblebee's tickets are from these early screenings just through a quick scan.

Thanks for providing these. Good to see The Mule maintaining its pace in spite of the competition. 🐴

On 11/30/2018 at 10:35 AM, TwoMisfits said:

Is Grinch a record high for number of screens still held by week 4 for a release that started wide?  Did TFA hold more?  B/c that drop is amazing...

EDIT: Okay, TFA did hold all 4134 of its screens 4 weeks (that's what I thought I remembered), but they were down to 3822 for weekend 5...we'll have to see if Grinch can sneak above it for screens in week 5:)...

Looks like the Grinch is in 3,829 theaters this weekend (surprisingly holding more theaters than Ralph 2), just inching past TFA's theater count in Week 5. Black Panther still holds the #1 to my knowledge at 3,834 theaters in Week 5.

> DECLINING
1 2 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch (2018) Universal 3,829 -105 -2.7% - - - - 5
2 1 Ralph Breaks the Internet Buena Vista 3,795 -222 -5.5% - - - - 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I plan to extrapolate the Bumblebee numbers later and see how much it's being inflated by the previews this Saturday. It seems like a good chunk of Bumblebee's tickets are from these early screenings just through a quick scan.

Bumblebee Total 420 450 474
Bumblebee Early 207 281 297

So Monday's sales were 49% tickets for this Saturday, Tuesday's were 62%, and Wednesday's were 63%.

Yeah, the early-access shows are definitely inflating the total here. It probably doesn't matter that much, since the people buying tickets on Saturday were probably going to buy tickets on opening weekend anyway, but it should still be a cause for concern. Then again, Bumblebee's ticket sales might see a boost with good WOM, so what do I know?

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

Good luck to all three of these movies which were likely hoping for some Golden Globes love and just got completely shut out.

I think all told for the Oscars MQoS will have to settle for maybe production and/or costume design, and maybe if Vox Lux really breaks out Portman could get into supporting along with a song?

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Once Upon A Deadpool is only opening in 500 theaters next week, I thought it was going nationwide.

It could be b/c it required a 12 day book and theaters just had too many other things to open Dec 14-Dec 21...I mean, you've got...

Dec 14

Spidey

Mortal Engines

The Mule

(Aquaman Sneaks)

Dec 19 

Mary Poppins

Dec 21

Aquaman

Bumblebee 

Welcome to Marwen

Second Act

Plus, some limited openers...plus, the theater desire to hold AT LEAST The Grinch and Wreck it Ralph through Dec 24 (probably Creed 2, too).  If you are a 12, and you only give each of the new movies a screen, book NO limiteds and toss all other holdovers, plus save a screen for the 3 held movies, you are at 11 out of 12 screens...and we all know most of these movies aren't getting single screened...so it's not a must book when you aren't sure folks will show up for something on home video, at least not for 12 days.,..I could see it getting a 1-2 day run, but not 12, not now at most theaters 12 screens or below...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Spagspiria said:

I think all told for the Oscars MQoS will have to settle for maybe production and/or costume design, and maybe if Vox Lux really breaks out Portman could get into supporting along with a song?

Vox Lux is actually opening “everywhere” next week but I’m guessing that means 350-400 theaters at most. It’s gonna flop hard either way.

11 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

So far, not seeing any Thursday night screenings for The Mule.

The 15:17 to Paris didn’t have Thursday night previews either. It’s either a Clint thing or they are bracing for a critical blasting (most signs are pointing to the latter).

12 minutes ago, VTKajin said:

Is there any tracking that's supposed to come this week? 

No. The Dec. 28th weekend doesn't have any wide releases, so we won't get any pieces of tracking until in a few days before the Dec. 14th offerings.

Today The Mule finally made a little jump from presales. It did not sell very many tickets but it appears constantly at Pulse.
The trailer has so many views and likes on youtube (especially for a film which is rather made for an older audience) and I think in general the feedback was very positive. I can hardly imagine it to underperform.

Oh yeah, people might want to see these presales.

Movie/Day Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday

Mortal Engines 81 71 116 124
The Mule 7 18 18 54
Spider-Verse 722 757 1365 2056

Mary Poppins 913 867 919 1067

Aquaman 1263 1101 1153 1271
Bumblebee 420 450 474 644
Second Act 0 2 1 3
Marwen 0 0 1 0

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2