grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Deep Wang has access to numbers from one of the largest theater chains in the US, and those are the presale #s before previews started.

Ok but what does this number indicate? How much do movies usually sell an hour before previews start? Is this good, bad, or what?

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Ok but what does this number indicate? How much do movies usually sell an hour before previews start? Is this good, bad, or what?

On 3/5/2019 at 1:46 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Stealing the chart Wang generated in early January 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm keeping this a spoiler out of respect for Wang's wishes.

According to this chart, only Last Jedi  is ahead of it, so...yeah, that's pretty gosh-dang outstanding

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

According to this chart, only Last Jedi  is ahead of it, so...yeah, that's pretty gosh-dang outstanding

Wow thanks, didn't know this was a thing but holy shit TLJ number..... why is it so crazy high compared to BATB (per OW ratios)

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Wow thanks, didn't know this was a thing but holy shit TLJ number..... why is it so crazy high compared to BATB (per OW ratios)

SW movies are notorious for having abnormally higher presales compared to most big franchise movies. That's why we had all of those "Solo presales outpace Black Panther." That technically was true, but that's because of how much of a special case SW is.

Also BATB was a PG movie that skewed younger

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

SW movies are notorious for having abnormally higher presales compared to most big franchise movies. That's why we had all of those "Solo presales outpace Black Panther." That technically was true, but that's because of how much of a special case SW is.

Also BATB was a PG movie that skewed younger

Hmm interesting, I knew SW was preview frontloaded but that presale number is crazy. Really curious about these presale trends, like I kinda get why women would be more inclined to presales but what about SW fanatics vs. Marvel fans makes them so different in buying habits. 

Fandango App Monday Tues Wed Thursday

Black Panther 35,429 36,302 39,934 65,453

Avengers: Infinity War 49,836 54,892 68,826 206,000

Venom 13,602 13,818 20,867 31,569
A Star Is Born 9,115 11,383 22,641 21,501

Fantastic Beasts 8,956 14,238 21,861 31,880
Captain Marvel 33,951 37,060 49,745 64,456

98% of Black Panther (198.9M)

31% of Infinity War (80.6M)

204% of Venom (163.9M)

300% of A Star is Born (128.6M)

202% of Fantastic Beasts (125.7M)

Last 7 Days

99% of Black Panther (199.7M)

Day 17-Day 1

79% of Black Panther (160.3M)

I'm way too exhausted to do any analysis, so...do whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'm way too exhausted to do any analysis, so...do whatever.

original.gif

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

175M weekend very possible with 24M previews. 7.3x multi very close to CW (7.1x) but let's wait and see :ph34r:

No, I think 180 mil is very likely with 24 mil previews. Even with 23.5 mil, 180 is likely if you ask me. 

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

It means CM had 17mn+ pre-sales for Friday compared to 21mn of Black Panther. BP did 2.5x that number to 50.7mn while I expect CM to do 42+.

Deleted with better Math

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, if you use IW, that had a true Friday of $67.3M with presales prior of $33M for a 2.04 multiplier on the day.  It might be safer to make that the "floor" on the day for CM, so $28.56M Friday could be the floor (okay, that seems low)...maybe a split between the two for $35M true Friday ish...

Or did I do all this math wrong?:)

17 × 2.04 ~ 35. IW was obviously more Pre-sales heavy. Black Panther seems like right comp.