grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Did a quick check of the remaining times at my AMC and Shazam jumped a decent bit. Maybe it'll be walk up heavy?

Maybe a bit.  But it's also probably showing that these 4pm showings are just a bridge too far for most films.

I suppose they're probably still doing better than Rando 4pm Holdover showing on a Thr.  So maybe it does work on some level (theaters taking in any extra money than they 'would' have gotten at the slot and all that). 

But it messes up our comps.  And, really, that's what's important. j1aUlyv.gif

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

EDIT::: Never mind.  It's what it 'would be' if Endgame wasn't around, right?

Yup. Figure that should be a more meaningful figure for comparing to most past Weekends on MT, so I just tacked it on there in addition.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Maybe a bit.  But it's also probably showing that these 4pm showings are just a bridge too far for most films.

I suppose they're probably still doing better than Rando 4pm Holdover showing on a Thr.  So maybe it does work on some level (theaters taking in any extra money than they 'would' have gotten at the slot and all that). 

But it messes up our comps.  And, really, that's what's important. j1aUlyv.gif

Maybe it was to get more families/kids for the Thursday previews? I do agree though that 4 is way too early. Basically nearly makes it a Thursday opener.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Maybe it was to get more families/kids for the Thursday previews? I do agree though that 4 is way too early. Basically nearly makes it a Thursday opener.

Problem is, too many folks are still at work to take their tykes to a 4pm show.

Hell, I always thought 5pm was pushing it a little, but still had the "stay-at-home parent" factor (or folks taking off from work a bit early). And I suppose it worked more often than not, especially as it opened the 7pm window for the second showings.

4pm is pushing that even more with traffic time and kids getting out of school.

I don't really have a philosophical issue on the "whole day" argument, BTW.  Just think 4pm is too early iz all.

====

I suppose where 4pm might work the best is with the late-teen demo.  Ones that have access to their own transportation and can just take off after school.  I suppose that there is an argument to be made that both Shazam! and Detective Pikachu are targeting this demo to some degree.

Still a bit too early though, even when factoring that in.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s pretty easy to make a 4 PM showing as a middle/high schooler. School gets out 2:30-3:30ish, just walk over to your local theatre before your parents get back from work and go eat dinner at home when it gets out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Shazam - Thursday Previews Cinemagic Chain, T-1 Hour To Showtime.

IMAX Theater

10:10 IMAX - 3/144

9:00PM STD 0/66

Recliners

9:40PM 3/50

Stadium

9:20PM 0/177

With fifteen minutes left for the late shows:

IMAX 3/144

STD 9/66

RECLINERS 10/50

STADIUM: 3/177

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s pretty easy to make a 4 PM showing as a middle/high schooler. School gets out 2:30-3:30ish, just walk over to your local theatre before your parents get back from work and go eat dinner at home when it gets out.

"walk over to your local theatre"

Where do you live again? :lol:

=====

In spirit, I actually agree with this more than I don't.  But then I'm from the generation where kids were allowed to run around like hellions without adult supervision. But in the age of Helicopter Parenting, I don't know how prevalent this really would be.

Though, as all things, this looks to be cyclical with the rise of the Free Range Parenting movement.

Not that this is an invitation to start up THAT debate.  

But, sure, kids taking their bikes/buses to a showing works as well.  But then there's still less folks showing up due to the parents not being there.

I suppose I was blessed to live about 6 blocks from high school and 3 from a theater in a pretty low crime neighborhood 😛     

But you can also use public transit.    

I doubt theaters or studios expect the 4PM shows to make as much as more typical times, but if you can attract more people than a holdover in that same time slot then hey, why not?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

are deadline gonna post their Shazam early Thursday estimates tonight? I'm hoping for 5M-6M for Shazam and 2M-2.4M for Pet Sematary.

Before the Atom deal, I was also thinking $5-6M for Shazam...but I could see it pop up above $7M now (although I'm almost certain we are gonna stay under double digit previews, unless they weirdly add in the $3.3M)...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Before the Atom deal, I was also thinking $5-6M for Shazam...but I could see it pop up above $7M now (although I'm almost certain we are gonna stay under double digit previews, unless they weirdly add in the $3.3M)...

I feel like $7M is still too high for Shazam cus the Thursday Fandango pulse looks to finish under 20k for the day :thinking:

13 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I feel like $7M is still too high for Shazam cus the Thursday Fandango pulse looks to finish under 20k for the day :thinking:

But a lot of the last minute sales went to Atom, so I'm trying to balance that in my head - I mean, with 4250 theaters, selling an average of 200 seats at $10 gives you over $8M...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

Final sales for first imax show for Shazam is 220/303, only two front rows basically open. Shazam will probably perform better here as rth pointed out to me a few weeks ago that horror always underperforms in Canada so the States will pick up the slack for Pet Sematary

Final presales for late show for imax showing. 140/303 not bad for a 10:20. I’m actually surprised this sold so many seats. 

Total for the two shows was 360/606

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

**Note: One of the 24 screen theaters currently only has 6 times scheduled for Thursday and 36 for the weekend. I'm not sure why it's so few. By comparison, an 8 screen theater has 37 shows for the weekend and a 10 screener has 68 shows so far.

I'm gonna guess First Colony?

They were slated for a recliner upgrade that kept getting pushed back, so dollars to donuts they got it underway a while back and they are hurrying the fuck up to get every theater ready to go, but they can't publish times in theaters they aren't sure will be up and running.

• Like 3