CaptainJackSparrow

Jurassic World II OS Thread

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

A rather rare 3D box office update for JW:FK

Overall, Imax and premium large format repped 21% of Fallen Kingdom‘s weekend or $31.5M.  Imax alone accounted for 9% of the seque’s domestic weekend with $13M at 410 auditoriums. Nine out of the top ten domestic locations featured an Imax screen.  Of “Fallen Kingdom’s” $711 million haul,$380 million came from 3D ticket sales, along with $105 million from RealD 3D. 

Go 3D !

• Like 1

JW2 is fading quite fast here in Vietnam. In the closest theater to me, JW2 is down to 3 showtimes per day while I2 is still got the majority of screens. I wonder how it's holding in other Asian countries, it seems to hold really well in Europe.

16 minutes ago, bladels said:

JW2 is fading quite fast here in Vietnam. In the closest theater to me, JW2 is down to 3 showtimes per day while I2 is still got the majority of screens. I wonder how it's holding in other Asian countries, it seems to hold really well in Europe.

As of this past weekend, IMAX 3D shows were still selling out in Dubai despite the movie being out for over 2 weeks. Regular 2D and 3D shows on weekdays are 25-75% full depending on the time of day and location as far as I can tell. 

Edited by scoobysaurus

On 6/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Some people ( me included ) were ( or are ) expecting another BVS performance.

I was one those who predicted less than 1 billion worldwide, but I usually do that for fun. I mean, numbers are unpredictable. So, that's the fun of this whole page. Movie has been available since the beginning of this month worldwide. Only Japan remains now.

Anyway, now it seems this movie might make between 1 billion and 1.2 billion worldwide. 

Making such a prediction before the film's run started is completely OK. Saying it when it has already opened to $112M in China and 8% lower in most other countries is just nonsensical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quigley said:

Making such a prediction before the film's run started is completely OK. Saying it when it has already opened to $112M in China and 8% lower in most other countries is just nonsensical.

Well, the movie could still get such horrible word of mouth and drop hard everywhere. It happened to BVS. It's not impossible. Now it's impossible, but some weeks ago I was predicting that.

Like I said, I just did for fun. I'm glad the movie is performing really well. So, that's it. XD

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bladels said:

Isn't it normal there for a movie to lose most of the screens to new movies? Here in Indonesia it is, due to limited number of screens and theaters. In its 2nd weekend, JW2 lost many screens to I2 and FIVE local movies, that were taking advantage of the extended Eid Holiday. Thanks to this, now there are theaters with only 4 showtimes for JW2 while I2 has 12. But other theaters have the same showtimes for both. At the biggest chains in Jakarta, JW2 has 130 showtimes a day in its 3rd week of release, while I2 has 192 in its 2nd week. So considering all the competitions, JW2 actually held quite well. It's already a huge success here anyway, by outgrossing JW1, being the 3rd biggest Hollywood movie this year so far (and 4th overall), and it will end up 3 times as big as I2.

On 6/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, John Marston said:

France and Germany are disappointing results. Weather and World Cup taking its toll I guess

It was incredible cinema weather this weekend, cold and rainy.

But Germany playing at 8pm on Saturday killed basically the whole Saturday.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:23 AM, pepsa said:

Decreasing by 28% (25% if it does $1.25B) isn't bad comming from an unexpected monster hit. I think the important part is to not decrease another 20% with JW3. If they can keep the franchise stable at above 1B. That would be great for Universal. Tbf if they could get it stable around $800m-$900m with a 170m budget they are fine as well. The problem you get with 850m is that you don't have an as big buffer.

Some one posted that Spielberg gets 35% from the  Jurassic profits (I haven't been able to verify this) so that cuts just a bit into Universal's profitability - so I wonder how big internally their buffer is. 

$1b easily but how much lower?   Like with Sony and the Men In Blacks - the last one did $625m WW but they came so talent/director heavy in front and back end cost they weren't profitable to produce any more so they're rebooting it with different talent.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1150 is a realistic target after shaving 6 off the weekend os-china**....1200 seems a bit far

375 dom (needs 2.53x multi)

245 china (looks very realistic...will be 228-230 by sunday. 250-255 could happen too)

485 os-china (363.5 after a 66.5 os-china weekend. so 1.83x the weekend more - or 2.83x multi - gives 485)

45 from japan

= 1150

**Looks like the actuals came 6 higher, not lower like I thought. so 1200+ back on track.

Edited by a2k
Updating China .... should do 245+
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, a2k said:

1150 is a realistic target imo

1100 is more or less locked:

375 dom (needs 2.53x multi)

240 china (looks very realistic...will be 228-230 by sunday. 245 could happen too)

485 os-china (363.5 after a 66.5 os-china weekend. so 1.83x the weekend more - or 2.83x multi - gives 485)

I just need it to be above 1,159B.

I would hate to see it under the ***** Minions :lol:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Some one posted that Spielberg gets 35% from the  Jurassic profits (I haven't been able to verify this) so that cuts just a bit into Universal's profitability - so I wonder how big internally their buffer is. 

If it would be profit (I doubt it), it does not move the buffer that much, has it get lower at the same time the movie get less profitable and does not move the break even bar at all either (does move your return break a lot too).

A big profit participation model with movies that has a reasonable budget like the rumored number we see would be a bit of an After Earth type of scenario, more than MIB 3 type of scenario or transformer scenario with people getting large first dollar gross on those.

After earth:

at a net production budget of: 149.4m

Break even scenario:

99.5m dbo / 175.m intl

WW: 274.5m

Total revenues: 328.04 (126.24 from theatrical, 202 after)

Profit: $0

Creative Share: 1.19m

Because there is no bonus giving before profit is shared, that project had a really low break even point (see also the distinction made here between 99.5 and 100m with the intl tv revenues taking a 5.5m jump between 99.5m and 100m dbo).

Expected/Budgeted scenario:

160m dbo / 240.m intl

WW: 400m

Total revenues: 460.44 (185.6 from theatrical, 274.85 after)

Profit: $45.28m for a 9.8% gross margin

Creative Share: 59.19m

Return GP break:

270m dbo / 406m intl

WW: 676m

Total revenues: 600.19(314 from theatrical, 286m after)

Profit: $74.7m for a 12.4% gross margin

Creative Share: 148.62m

By giving so much of the profit away instead of giving first dollar gross to reduce risk, you make the return break level explode.

180m movies is like an X-Men movies/A Planet of the Apes type of movies, if they are on profit bonus a Jurassic Park could make less than those (those being high profit movies) and still have margin I would imagine, we are just used to see so much bigger from them that we assume that it need to make more than what a X-Men Apocalypse or an Planet of the Apes entry need to do, even at very similar budget. That could be true in reality (first dollar bonus, bigger world release, etc...) but not necessarily, not at least in the proposed no participation before profit scenario and considering they are strong domestic movies)

Numbers here (page 2):

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/03_03/MKTGFIN/SOP Cashflows/INCURRED/14fcsts/FY14 Sensitivities 2013-05-15.pdf

I would suspect that for something like this, they are on first dollar gross and with a much higher

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, catlover said:

Isn't it normal there for a movie to lose most of the screens to new movies? Here in Indonesia it is, due to limited number of screens and theaters. In its 2nd weekend, JW2 lost many screens to I2 and FIVE local movies, that were taking advantage of the extended Eid Holiday. Thanks to this, now there are theaters with only 4 showtimes for JW2 while I2 has 12. But other theaters have the same showtimes for both. At the biggest chains in Jakarta, JW2 has 130 showtimes a day in its 3rd week of release, while I2 has 192 in its 2nd week. So considering all the competitions, JW2 actually held quite well. It's already a huge success here anyway, by outgrossing JW1, being the 3rd biggest Hollywood movie this year so far (and 4th overall), and it will end up 3 times as big as I2.

Yeah but I2 open just few days after JW2 here and it's still keeping majority of screens. JW2's screens lost is bigger than normal

Edited by bladels

On its 3rd weekend, JW made $54.5M DOM and $86M OS (140.5 combined). It went on to make another $351M from the same markets. 

On its 3rd weekend, FK made $148M DOM and $111.9M OS (259.9 combined). I think it should be able to make another $485M including Japan. 

On 6/23/2018 at 9:41 PM, Blaze Heatnix said:

Some people ( me included ) were ( or are ) expecting another BVS performance.

Scoring a shit 2x multiplier after a global opening of that magnitude is the worst case scenario and is very in the Top 15 worldwide opener list which mostly happens when general wom is worse than bad and I can say that its far from that

(Almost) Full Latin American Opening, courtesy of the-numbers. 

OW against JW1

Argentina: $2,504,280 | JW: $4,153,349 | - 40% (down to ER, Just -7% in admission, see Argentina thread ) 

Bolivia: $451,240 | JW: $275,083 | +64%

Brazil: $9,280,000 | JW: $7,735,954 | +20%

Chile: $1,589,733| JW: $1,288,056 | +23%

Colombia: $1,753,135 | JW: $1,547,572 | +13% 

Ecuador: $818,273 | JW: $808,781 | +1%

Mexico: $10,143,017 | JW: $13,777,511 |  -26% (down to ER, flat in lc, see Mexico Thread)

Paraguay: $134,570 | - no data

Perú: $1,678,499 | JW: $1,639,844 | +2%

Uruguay: $178,216 | JW: $135,955 | +31%

Venezuela: $482,001 | JW: $2,310,702 | -79% (does this even need explaining?)

Panama/Central America is missing. 

Total OW from Latin America (excluding Paraguay) : $28,876,394 ( -17% against the original) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

567M OS from a 110M weekend or so. Less than 30% of that came from China.

Current markets should add about 150M+, China 45/50. That brings the total to 765/770M OS.

IMDB says it has only Japan left. Should get over 800M with that.

Most likely scenario is definitely a #14 to #16 WW finish in the all time chart.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

when is it hitting 1B WW? Next week?

Should be around $925-935M by this Sunday. So 1B sometimes next weekend, Sat most likely.