Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Speaking Disney+ everything they have put a notice out that some of the movies will be disappearing from their service for a bit in the years to come (mainly everything that was covered in the Netflix deal that covered their 2016-2018 releases) before returning so clearly the rights aren't infinite in some cases.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-will-let-you-keep-your-downloads-even-if-titles-leave-service/

• Like 2

You know, the Astros are (one of) my childhood team(s).  I will always be a fan of them.

But sakes alive, the current front office is making it goddamn difficult to really root passionately for them.  And I think it's a case of the fish rotting from the head down.

Ever since Jeff Luhnow has taken over taken over as GM/Pres of baseball ops, it's been one distasteful action after another.  A drip drip drip of lemon juice in a thousand paper cuts that is, frankly making me not as happy as I should be.  It all started with the shenanigans with Brady Aiken and it's gotten worse and worse and worse.

I won't say the latest controversy is the final straw. because it isn't. But for fucks sake, enough already. This should be the Golden Age of Astros baseball.  And because of the bro-y nature of the front office (which is the absolute nicest way I can put it) I can't enjoy it like I'd like to.

Lying about all of this was bad enough.  Trying to disparage SI's writers in the process before going "Whoops, guess we WERE caught red-handed... Nobody noticed. right?"...

Well, I want heads to roll.  But, sadly, I think this is gonna keep happening as long as Luhnow has free reign and sets the culture there.  And since he's successful at his job when it comes to pure results, he's probably gonna be there for a good long while.

Unfortunately.

(vent over)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

Speaking Disney+ everything they have put a notice out that some of the movies will be disappearing from their service for a bit in the years to come (mainly everything that was covered in the Netflix deal that covered their 2016-2018 releases) before returning so clearly the rights aren't infinite in some cases.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-will-let-you-keep-your-downloads-even-if-titles-leave-service/

That technique Favreau described was used on Oblivion. 

What Netflix's biggest reveal tells us about what works and what doesn't

1 The movie star endures

If one were to examine the top 10 theatrically released films over the last year, the upper end, if not the entire list, would be dominated by franchises, sequels and ones that don’t necessarily rely on the names involved. But on Netflix, an underdeveloped alternative to the multiplex, the biggest films more closely resemble the box office hits of the late 80s and early 90s when star appeal was prioritised over spectacle, a period that saw Rain Man, Fatal Attraction, Ghost and Three Men and a Baby win big.

The top three most-watched Netflix originals of the last 12 months are Bird Box (80 million viewers), Murder Mystery (73 million) and Triple Frontier (52 million), all broad, crowd-pleasing films sold almost exclusively on stars Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler and Ben Affleck, all of whom are actors who broke out in the 90s boasting fanbases that have mostly stayed loyal ever since.

4 Dead genres come back to life

Genres that have long been cast aside by Hollywood have been carefully and cleverly resuscitated by Netflix for a while now with notable successes, such as 2018’s “Summer of Love” which saw a string of smash-hit romcoms, including Set It Up, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and The Kissing Booth (all of which Netflix has been happy to brag about). In comparison, before Crazy Rich Asians last year, the industry hadn’t seen a $100m romcom hit since 2011’s Just Go With It.

The latest top 10 is filled with similar examples with teen movie/romcom crossovers The Perfect Date (48 million viewers) and Tall Girl (41 million), psycho-thriller Secret Obsession (40 million), romcom Always Be My Maybe (32 million) and chick flick Otherhood (29 million) all scoring well. Apart from Otherhood, the films mentioned aren’t really star-led but their appeal is more about a tried-and-tested-and-forgotten-about formula being brought back to life.

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Smart.   Also Hulu just finally gave the ability to download

37 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Its nice to see world-building done well especially in alternative history type things like Watchmen compared to something lazy like Bright. 

I guess that's the difference between hiring Damon Lindelof and hiring Max Landis to write your movie

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

You know, the Astros are (one of) my childhood team(s).  I will always be a fan of them.

But sakes alive, the current front office is making it goddamn difficult to really root passionately for them.  And I think it's a case of the fish rotting from the head down.

Ever since Jeff Luhnow has taken over taken over as GM/Pres of baseball ops, it's been one distasteful action after another.  A drip drip drip of lemon juice in a thousand paper cuts that is, frankly making me not as happy as I should be.  It all started with the shenanigans with Brady Aiken and it's gotten worse and worse and worse.

I won't say the latest controversy is the final straw. because it isn't. But for fucks sake, enough already. This should be the Golden Age of Astros baseball.  And because of the bro-y nature of the front office (which is the absolute nicest way I can put it) I can't enjoy it like I'd like to.

Lying about all of this was bad enough.  Trying to disparage SI's writers in the process before going "Whoops, guess we WERE caught red-handed... Nobody noticed. right?"...

Well, I want heads to roll.  But, sadly, I think this is gonna keep happening as long as Luhnow has free reign and sets the culture there.  And since he's successful at his job when it comes to pure results, he's probably gonna be there for a good long while.

Unfortunately.

(vent over)

This encapsualtes a lot of what I'm feeling about the whole thing:

I suggest Baseball BOT read it, as it's really really good (the Twitter thread has a few more links as well).  @MrPink@Deep Wang

and @Menor I might want to get your thoughts as well about how this is just a major self-inflicted wound that was completely and utterly unnecessary.  

The team itself, with one very notable exception, is made up a lot of great players who are easy root for.  As the piece goes out of its way to say, some of the Astros more high profile controversial decisions might be justified on one level.  Over all I thought it was a very fair piece that zeroed in on the objectionable crap and didn't take the bait on more iffy subjects.

But this was pure gaslighting and if the Astros won't do the right thing (and I suspect they won't) I hope MLB steps in and throws down a hammer on Taubman.  It's the only way they're gonna learn, and even that might be a bit of wishful thinking.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This encapsualtes a lot of what I'm feeling about the whole thing:

I suggest Baseball BOT read it, as it's really really good (the Twitter thread has a few more links as well).  @MrPink@Deep Wang

and @Menor I might want to get your thoughts as well about how this is just a major self-inflicted wound that was completely and utterly unnecessary.  

The team itself, with one very notable exception, is made up a lot of great players who are easy root for.  As the piece goes out of its way to say, some of the Astros more high profile controversial decisions might be justified on one level.  Over all I thought it was a very fair piece that zeroed in on the objectionable crap and didn't take the bait on more iffy subjects.

But this was pure gaslighting and if the Astros won't do the right thing (and I suspect they won't) I hope MLB steps in and throws down a hammer on Taubman.  It's the only way they're gonna learn, and even that might be a bit of wishful thinking.

I don't think there's any question that Taubmann should go. Whether the Astros do the right thing or not is something that's going to weigh heavily on my support of the team in the upcoming year. Selfishly, I wonder if part of it also has to do with the fact that the chances to win another WS will not be as high as it is now currently, but it's definitely taken a toll on whether I feel proud to say, I'm an Astros fan, here in DC right now. It's hard to determine exactly what the Astros can do to make this up, but given that it's been 48 hours since the piece hit and we're no closer to actual action, I'm not sure if the Astros/MLB are just waiting for the series to play out to let the whole thing blow over (the wrong move).

Personally, I think it has to start with Taubmann being let go. I don't know what he necessarily brings to the table, but if Luhnow is the true mastermind of this operation, then fans going to bat for some person they've never heard of makes absolute zero sense. Is this guy the Jose Altuve of assistant GM's? What does his skillset bring that others can't that he has to be protected and defended? After that, an apology will be needed to SI for calling them out for fabricating the story when it wasn't true. Then the PR person/team has to be completely revamped/let go because it's clear after numerous PR incidents that the current team in place can't do it. Then clear penalties/rules need to be established within the locker room so that this can be addressed swiftly in future years. A major part of this story is that the PR swiftly denied such a thing when the easy route was to investigate before taking action. They couldn't even meet that bare minimum standard of response.

I do hate that there's such a distinct difference between the players and the organization. It grows harder and harder to support the management organization every day, and yet those players are so damn likable, so fun, and many seem like genuine good people. What would really hurt is if there's not as much distinction between them as we think. 

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I do hate that there's such a distinct difference between the players and the organization. It grows harder and harder to support the management organization every day, and yet those players are so damn likable, so fun, and many seem like genuine good people. What would really hurt is if there's not as much distinction between them as we think. 

Well said.  I agree with every word written. 👍