Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

He also doesn't understand that more offense SLOWS the game down not speed it up.

Oh, I think absolutely understands.  "Shortening the time of the game" is just a way to sell it to the press.  What he wants, and I say this as someone who has listened very carefully what he actually says, is to make it so there is more action during games.

===

One of the bigger worries though, as Brisbee notes, is what might happen to pitchers when the pace of the game is sped up. At least if those studies that are coming out about rest time between pitches have any validity.

51 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FFS!!! STOP MAKING ME MISS BUD SELIG!!!!!!:gold:

@Trolltastic Tele @MrPink @Jayhawk @tribefan695 @DAR @Porthos @75Live @Chewy  @Deep Wang @Empire (plus other long time baseball fans I'm not thinking of)

I'm pretty sure baseball is well aware of the "side effect" of the pitch clock and would be more than willing to accept it. For them, either shorter or higher scoring games would satisfy their aims. The underlying intention behind all this is to make pitchers suck more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm pretty sure baseball is well aware of the "side effect" of the pitch clock and would be more than willing to accept it. For them, either shorter or higher scoring games would satisfy their aims. The underlying intention behind all this is to make pitchers suck more.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:49 PM, Porthos said:

I've come to a realization over the last 24 hours.

A couple of years ago, Rob Manfred looked at the state of the sport of baseball and said to himself: How can I replicate the Steroid Era without the steroids?

Step One: Juice up the ball.

Step Two: Slip research about launch angles to team hitting instructors. 

Step Three: Reduce mound visits so pitchers and catchers aren't on the same page.

Not enough?

Step Four: Introduce Pitch Clock (currently in minors)

Not enough?

Step Five: Have player start on second base for extra innings (ditto).

SHOW ME ON THE DOLL WHERE THE PITCHER TOUCHED YOU, ROB!!!!! 

Fine.  Whatever.  Let's have the 10-8 slugfests of the 90s. Baseballs flying everywhere!!! Wheeeee...

===

This still is a major concern, however:

When I published my article, I was unaware of this study in the Journal of Sports Sciences that looked at arm fatigue with pitchers who took less time between pitches. The conclusion?

Elevated levels of muscle fatigue are predicted in the flexor–pronator mass, which is responsible for providing elbow stability. Reduced effectiveness of the flexor–pronator mass may reduce the active contributions to joint rotational stiffness, increasing strain on the ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) and possibly increasing injury risk.

If you need me to dumb it down a bit, I’ll do my best: Pitcher throws quicker, pitcher’s elbow goes boom. In theory, at least. It’s not like pitchers in the ‘80s were falling like fruit flies because they worked so quickly, so there are other factors at play. For example, pitchers didn’t throw as hard in previous decades.

There’s something meaningful in this data, too. Rob Arthur took a look at why pitchers were taking longer to get rid of the ball, and he found a pattern:

For every additional second they spend (up to 20 seconds), pitchers throw about .02 miles per hour harder.

It doesn’t sound like a lot, but the next paragraphs explain why it’s a big deal. Every tick of extra velocity correlates to extra run prevention. Over a full season, it adds up.

What you have here is pitchers with more arm fatigue because of the pitch clock, and keep in mind that this is already after shortening their allotted time for warm-up pitches. And along with that arm fatigue, we have reduced velocity. With reduced velocity, we get more baserunners and bad outcomes.

More baserunners and bad outcomes lead to longer innings.

Longer innings lead to longer games.

Unless we get games that are just as long, but with a helluva lot more runs.

(That last line gets repeated a LOT in Grant's piece, as one might imagine :ph34r:)

So if pitchers continue trying to throw harder and harder (and I don't see why that trend will abate any time soon) AND they have less time to recover between pitches, that will lead to more injuries to pitchers.  Which IMO is hardly ideal.

It's one of the many possible unintended consequences of all of this.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Fine.  Whatever.  Let's have the 10-8 slugfests of the 90s. Baseballs flying everywhere!!! Wheeeee...

===

This still is a major concern, however:

(That last line gets repeated a LOT in Grant's piece, as one might imagine :ph34r:)

So if pitchers continue trying to throw harder and harder (and I don't see why that trend will abate any time soon) AND they have less time to recover between pitches, that will lead to more injuries to pitchers.  Which IMO is hardly ideal.

It's one of the many possible unintended consequences of all of this.

The alternative is they throw more meatballs, saving their arms but giving up more hits. 

• Sad 1