CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Mid-50s would stun me. 

Why?  This had to be the most anticipated movie since TFA...and with Carrie Fisher's last performance, even more so...and Star Wars fans have to be the biggest fans in the world, more than supers (since they can split between 2 camps)...

Add in all those pricey showings, the dearth of movies the last 3 weeks, the overwhelming screen allocation for Thursday night almost everywhere, the Moviepass "free showing" ability, and the acres of codes for Atom and Fandango to make reserved seats cheap...well, surprise and stun wouldn't be words I'd use for a high number unless it literally beats TFA (and then that would only be a little surprise b/c I can't remember TFA having every theater with a Pay-as-high-as-you-can showings)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

9 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I'm sorry. I'm new here. But...

Why do we care about "audience scores?" 

This is why I hate aggregate sites. I can't keep track of what I need to be celebrating/outraged about.

Justice League was 40% Critics/ 80% Viewers and TLJ is 93% Critics/ 62% Viewers

So, explain the rules to me... which are we looking at here? If TLJ is "divisive" at 62 and Justice League is "bad" at 80.... what's the point? 

The RT critics score isn't terribly scientific, but the audience score is INSANELY not scientific. 

Don't worry about a junk number that doesn't seem to reflect anything other than "intensity and urge to post." 

THat audience score will lead to a lower OW multi

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Why?  This had to be the most anticipated movie since TFA...and with Carrie Fisher's last performance, even more so...and Star Wars fans have to be the biggest fans in the world, more than supers (since they can split between 2 camps)...

Add in all those pricey showings, the dearth of movies the last 3 weeks, the overwhelming screen allocation for Thursday night almost everywhere, the Moviepass "free showing" ability, and the acres of codes for Atom and Fandango to make reserved seats cheap...well, surprise and stun wouldn't be words I'd use for a high number unless it literally beats TFA...

Stun is maybe hyperbolic. But a bit surprising that it would be right around TFA. I expected $10m less.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

So EmpireCity gets thread-banned for defending Star Wars and Disney? Roflcopter

’Ill take bullshit for 500, Alex!’

47 minutes ago, POTUS said:

there goes early numbers reporting. lets not ban rth and deadline too

Yep, I think some civil mutiny is in order, things are getting beyond silly over here and it's been a while.

31 minutes ago, Cheebs86 said:

Go back and look at what fanboys were saying in letters columns and conventions in 1980.

Empire was MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH more divisive than this. The Vader reveal was met with anger and pissed off fans of ANH. The poor reception to ESB upon its release didn't hurt ROTJ at all.

Yep, and yet this has absolutely NOTHING to do with The Last Jedi's score. What is happening is obviously an organized troll attack by some embittered fanboys from different parts of fandom, and if anyone needed real proof, here it goes:

25 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

The RT score could be totally legit, but sure is interesting nothing else agrees with it. Per Deadline: "ComScore/Screen Engine reports a mindblowing five-out-of-five stars for the movie and a 90% overall positive with an 82% definite recommend. Huge. Older men over 25 came out in droves at 44% followed by females over 25 (24%), men under 25 (22%), and females under 25 (10%)."

Yep, it smells like a troll attack because it is one.

16 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Moderation:

Lets settle down.

It seems this movie is polarizing for some reason.  Lets make sure we respect everyones opinion and not get personal.

Disliking the movie is fine.  Liking the movie is fine.  State your opinions however this thread is for Boxoffice discussion.

What will not be allowed is people deliberately stoking the flames just to get a rise out of people.

I'm sorry, Andy, I have the utmost respect to you, Tele, WB, Portugal and most of the mods, but I respectfully disagree. And things got so bad around here that I don't even care if I'm threadbanned, banned or not.

If you guys need me I'm hanging around on ResetERA. Hopefully things will get back to some normalcy eventually here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CenterMeOnSam said:

I'm sorry. I'm new here. But...

Why do we care about "audience scores?" 

This is why I hate aggregate sites. I can't keep track of what I need to be celebrating/outraged about.

Justice League was 40% Critics/ 80% Viewers and TLJ is 93% Critics/ 62% Viewers

So, explain the rules to me... which are we looking at here? If TLJ is "divisive" at 62 and Justice League is "bad" at 80.... what's the point? 

The RT critics score isn't terribly scientific, but the audience score is INSANELY not scientific. 

Don't worry about a junk number that doesn't seem to reflect anything other than "intensity and urge to post." 

It's quite obvious that the audience score for TLJ is a smear campaign. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Mid-50s would stun me. 

Sequels with lower ows than predecessor matching the previews is not surprising.

APOC did 8.2 previews for 65.8m 3-day after DOFP did 8.1 previews for 90.8m 3-day. Matched the previews but down 27.5% over the ow.

Not that SW8 will drop that much % from SW7 but 55m previews for  200-210m ow won't be surprising (down 15-19% from 248)

• Like 1

So what do fans think? ComScore/Screen Engine reports a mindblowing five-out-of-five stars for the movie and a 90% overall positive with an 82% definite recommend. Forty five percent said that the Rian Johnson-directed movie came in above their expectations while close to 40% said they’ll the movie again in the theater

200.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can you all stop with this narrative there's a big conspirancy agains’t SW. Thanks.

Also, people who antagonize others should be banned, yes. It's the forum rules. Exceptions shouldn't be made just because that person happens to provide numbers for us.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 9