the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

MLK holiday next weekend should be pretty BIG and make up for any kind of lower numbers this weekend because of bad weather.

Bad for TLJ because theaters will finally be allowed to start dropping TLJ screens starting next Friday right before MLK holiday weekend starts, with the ridiculous Disney forced 4 weeks contracts thing finally ending.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

MLK holiday next weekend should be pretty BIG and make up for any kind of lower numbers this weekend because of bad weather.

Bad for TLJ because theaters will finally be allowed to start dropping TLJ screens starting next Friday right before MLK holiday weekend starts, with the ridiculous Disney forced 4 weeks contracts thing finally ending.

Can't blame Disney for making those demands. Theater owners are desperate enough to agree to those terms. So be it. That said, Rogue One lost 24% of its theaters on Weekend 5. Would guess a similar percentage drop for Last Jedi's theater count next weekend.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Can't blame Disney for making those demands. Theater owners are desperate enough to agree to those terms. So be it. That said, Rogue One lost 24% of its theaters on Weekend 5. Would guess a similar percentage drop for Last Jedi's theater count next weekend.

Considering that Jedi and Ferdinand will be the oldest films with any kind of life in them and there are several films opening I could see both losing more than 30% of their theaters - but we shall see. Particularly if Jedi does go beneath R1 next week.

I don't care, but I want to see sub-$20m for TLJ. Would love to see EmpireCity's response to that.

"The horrible drop is almost entirely due to the snowstorm and nothing else whatsoever, and if you doubt that, then why don't I SHOVE MY COMSCORE UP YOUR FUCKING ASS BITCHES?!"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I don't care, but I want to see sub-$20m for TLJ. Would love to see EmpireCity's response to that.

"The horrible drop is almost entirely due to the snowstorm and nothing else whatsoever, and if you doubt that, then why don't I SHOVE MY COMSCORE UP YOUR FUCKING ASS BITCHES?!"

Baumer v. Empire will be epic once again. :D

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Noctis said:

To be fair, Comscore trumps the box office.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think it will be higher...lots of films opening and lots of films will probably be performing better day by day than TLJ does at least for the theatre's own revenue, b/c they can keep more of the money from every other holdover...and if TLJ is skewing less family, it's also not bringing as much in concessions...so, TGS might be the better keep than TLJ by next weekend if they both continue on their current paths...add in Jumanji, Molly's Game (and/or Darkest Hour, if that was the expanding limited booked this week), and Insidious and you've got 4 holdovers and 4+ new openers coming (so 8-10s might be dropping much faster)...

• Like 3

Paul Thomas Anderson movies have become parodies of themselves.

His movies after the big dick one are incomprehensible, over long, tedious, pseudo arty, try-hard messes that have its "fans"  and critics jerk off to and persuade themselves they are deep and have incredible subtext only a few chosen ones can fully comprehend.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I think it will be higher...lots of films opening and lots of films will probably be performing better day by day than TLJ does at least for the theatre's own revenue, b/c they can keep more of the money from every other holdover...and if TLJ is skewing less family, it's also not bringing as much in concessions...so, TGS might be the better keep than TLJ by next weekend if they both continue on their current paths...add in Jumanji, Molly's Game (and/or Darkest Hour, if that was the expanding limited booked this week), and Insidious and you've got 4 holdovers and 4+ new openers coming (so 8-10s might be dropping much faster)...

Looks like similar situation to last year in terms of new releases and large theater expansions:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=02a&p=.htm

• Like 1

Forecasting:

Insidious (22.7M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 4.7M (27.4M Total)

Jan 12: 8M (3.3M weekdays, 38.7M Total)

Jan 19: 3M (900k weekdays, 42.6M Total)

Jan 26: 1.5M (500k weekdays, 44.6M Total)

Feb 2: 600k (200k weekdays, 45.4M Total)

Final Total: 47M (2.07x)

I don't know who's expecting good legs on this, but considering it should finish pretty close to the last one, Universal should be happy.

Jumanji (28M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 8.3M (244.7M Total)

Jan 12: 20.4M (9.7M weekdays, 274.8M Total)

Jan 19: 13.2M (4.6M weekdays, 292.6M Total)

Jan 26: 10.1M (3.3M weekdays, 306M Total)

Feb 2: 7M (2.6M weekdays, 315.6M Total)

Feb 9: 5M (1.9M weekdays, 322.5M Total)

Feb 16: 4M (2M weekdays, 328.5M Total)

Feb 23: 2.3M (900k weekdays, 331.7M Total)

Mar 2: 1.4M (500k weekdays, 333.6M Total)

Final Total: 336M (6.36x)

TLJ (19.9M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 6.4M (575.3M Total)

Jan 12: 11.1M (5.2M weekdays, 591.6M Total)

Jan 19: 5M (1.5M weekdays, 598.1M Total)

Jan 26: 2.4M (900k weekdays, 601.4M Total)

Feb 2: 1.5M (600k weekdays, 603.5M Total)

Feb 9: 800k (400k weekdays, 604.7M Total)

Final Total: 607M (2.76x)

I really don't see how this is passing Avengers at this point. Even with the snowstorm and MLK boost next weekend, legs are not looking good.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Forecasting:

Insidious (22.7M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 4.7M (27.4M Total)

Jan 12: 8M (3.3M weekdays, 38.7M Total)

Jan 19: 3M (900k weekdays, 42.6M Total)

Jan 26: 1.5M (500k weekdays, 44.6M Total)

Feb 2: 600k (200k weekdays, 45.4M Total)

Final Total: 47M (2.07x)

I don't know who's expecting good legs on this, but considering it should finish pretty close to the last one, Universal should be happy.

Jumanji (28M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 8.3M (244.7M Total)

Jan 12: 20.4M (9.7M weekdays, 274.8M Total)

Jan 19: 13.2M (4.6M weekdays, 292.6M Total)

Jan 26: 10.1M (3.3M weekdays, 306M Total)

Feb 2: 7M (2.6M weekdays, 315.6M Total)

Feb 9: 5M (1.9M weekdays, 322.5M Total)

Feb 16: 4M (2M weekdays, 328.5M Total)

Feb 23: 2.3M (900k weekdays, 331.7M Total)

Mar 2: 1.4M (500k weekdays, 333.6M Total)

Final Total: 336M (6.36x)

TLJ (19.9M weekend):

Remainder of this week: 6.4M (575.3M Total)

Jan 12: 11.1M (5.2M weekdays, 591.6M Total)

Jan 19: 5M (1.5M weekdays, 598.1M Total)

Jan 26: 2.4M (900k weekdays, 601.4M Total)

Feb 2: 1.5M (600k weekdays, 603.5M Total)

Feb 9: 800k (400k weekdays, 604.7M Total)

Final Total: 607M (2.76x)

I really don't see how this is passing Avengers at this point. Even with the snowstorm and MLK boost next weekend, legs are not looking good.

And here we normally give you props for OVER predicting.... heres to hoping just a bit that you are wrong about Jedi lol :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Looks like similar situation to last year in terms of new releases and large theater expansions:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2017&wknd=02a&p=.htm

Yes, but did it have as onerous terms on its theaters for the 1st 4 weeks?  I can't find on the internet that it did...and I think that's gonna matter...

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Rogue’s theater count was identical for the first 4 weeks, same as Last Jedi. 

Not the overall theater count - the revenue and contract terms...Disney didn't put the "tough terms" onto theaters for Rogue One (at least not as tough as TLJ's)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1