CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

At the Disney level, they don't care about the record as a trophy. Disney has the trophy already.

But what they do care about is the marketing value of "#1 of all time" headlines for the movie that's in theaters right now. The one such a headline can sell more tickets for.

So if they felt safe claiming that today, there's no doubt they would.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

You don't think Marvel cares?  Or Lucas Films?

Heh 

I think a lot of Industry people care a lot less about this stuff than you and I do and everyone else here. It's fun to look at records but what's more fun is making billions of dollars.

• Like 1

Long time lurker and had to create an account to post in this legendary thread.

I don't know much about box office projections but take it from someone who rarely goes to a movie theater, i saw IW yesterday and have a very very strong urge to watch it again. Something that I've never done before.

qKqIdxT.png

Edited by A2M
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

"Go back to nature, dont fall for the capitalistic corporations and the military" said the man whos a millionair and made a movie about blue space people who fight evil white men.

Avatar didnt change the world, Jimbo. It was a big, dumb movie just like its sequels will be.

Well it did change the world, it gave us 3D, so thanks for that... :gold:

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

On another note, anyone else who thinks Infinity War has the best MCU soundtrack? Like, the stuff from the GOTG movies is very good and movies like Thor: Ragnarok or Iron Man also had solid music, but Silvestri really nailed this one.

Listening to it for the fourth time right now. It's really solid. I wish he would have utilized some of the other thematic ideas from previous films, especially from like the first captain america, but it's still really well done.

Disney has a strategy that is really simple and safe. You underestimate Sunday and claim you got close to the record and then if/when you break it on Monday you have yourself a second day in the news cycle.  There is zero risk to it and they get more exposure overall.  

If they claim the record and then get it, well the news cycle already ended on Sunday.  If they don't get it, then it is a negative on them and extends the news cycle in a bad way.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A2M said:

Long time lurker and had to create an account to post in this legendary thread.

I don't know much about box office projections but take it from someone who rarely goes to a movie theater, i saw IW yesterday and have a very very strong urge to watch it again. Something that I've never done before.

oRKoTH4.png

Looks like Thanos is taking a shit

• Haha 2

I really think Disney likes more this headline

"Avengers exceeded even the most optimistic expectations and completely blew Disney projections grossing $258 million" 

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think a lot of Industry people care a lot less about this stuff than you and I do and everyone else here. It's fun to look at records but what's more fun is making billions of dollars.

From a business point of view it makes sense to hype the movie you are currently selling. The extra hype from the record might generate a few million more. No one cares about EP7 right now.