CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

4 minutes ago, riczhang said:

Absolutely it matters because 90 min vs. 150 min means an extra showing or two a day. So automatically you get 20-30% higher ceiling. Because there is a bit of running into supply constraints with IW. Definitely I know anecdotally there’s a lot of my friends who would’ve seen it OW but couldn’t get good tickets. Especially with reserved seating these days, like people aren’t just gonna walk up and nope they have a good seat instead of front row and a one way ticket to nausea. So ya, being able to add an extra showtime or two would really help. (And this is a trend in the movie industry too of shorter movies. We don’t really see the 3 hour epics anymore. Is at 2.5 hours is considered LONG) 

Maybe it helps fractionally.  Theaters were stealing from other movies all weekend long to fit as many times as they could in, that's one of the major benefits of digital.   I don't think there's any way of realistically putting an amount on how much this would have made were it shorter.

• Like 2

I know AIW or any big superhero films sucks up the screens and showtime but I'm surprised the other studios don't counter programme more often, maybe not same weekend but the weekend after. There's an audience out there who don't do superhero films, we saw it with The Great Gatsby 5 years ago and also just recently with Daddy's Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express which both did respectfully against the second weekend of TR.

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree that the whole idea of "heroes making mistakes and them backfiring in their faces" deconstruction was interesting, but the sequence itself did not work. It stopped the movie dead for something that felt completely unrelated, and it made little sense as there's a ton of other ways they could've worked around the whole tracker shit anyway. It felt like a side quest in a video game, and you would've missed almost nothing by writing it out completely. Could've accomplished similar results in simpler ways.

Also, the way you talk makes you sound like the Elrich type of pompous snob that is all like "TLJ took risks and was subversive, therefore it's a good movie". Killing off Frodo in the 1st 2 minutes of Return Of The King would've been a risk too and I don't think anyone would've been on board with it. I think TLJ is solid, mind you, but Canto Bight was a mistake.

First bolded sentence is true. But I enjoy sidequests and world building stuff so I can't fault it too much, tbh. On the second, nah, I believe both to be true but I don't think the second one is necessarilly a consequence of the other. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sam said:

Reading some earlier posts. Gotta give it to Han:

Well, looks like he did go insanely right. 

Fun isn't something one considers when predicting box office, but this does put a smile on my face :Venom: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know AIW or any big superhero films sucks up the screens and showtime but I'm surprised the other studios don't counter programme more often, maybe not same weekend but the weekend after. There's an audience out there who don't do superhero films, we saw it with The Great Gatsby 5 years ago and also just recently with Daddy's Home 2 and Murder on the Orient Express which both did respectfully against the second weekend of TR.

It's mostly because everybody knew Infinity War was gonna be a total monster that was gonna swallow other movies whole. Deadpool 2 and Solo being not far behind also put everything else in a tough spot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Maybe it helps fractionally.  Theaters were stealing from other movies all weekend long to fit as many times as they could in, that's one of the major benefits of digital.   I don't think there's any way of realistically putting an amount on how much this would have made were it shorter.

Avengers 1 and 2 had 5 screenings a day at my theatre compared to 4 for this.

I know for a fact this movie could have easily sold out the 5th screening. 

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Then your theater done fucked up.

100% and yet it still was the biggest movie ever at my local theatre Saturday and Sunday :hahaha:

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, Kraken said:

First bolded sentence is true. But I enjoy sidequests and world building stuff so I can't fault it too much, tbh. On the second, nah, I believe both to be true but I don't think the second one is necessarilly a consequence of the other. 

Well, about Canto Bight, that's down to personal preference, I see. I personally didn't mind it that much the 1st time I saw the movie, but the 2nd time, I was checking my watch plenty times and it really caught me like a pipebomb how unnecessary the sequence really was.

And if you did believe both to be true, that would still be your prerogative to think that way. But I've seen your Ehrlichs and some other people out in the interwebs say TLJ is a good movie because it was ballsy and it pissed fanboys off with its twists, and... it kinda annoys me that some would have their head so inside their own asshole that they could only find blockbuster filmmaking acceptable if it's made with the intention to deliberately make everyone question their love for the franchise at hand OR if it has cultural implications surrounding its storytelling. Glad that we agree on that not being the case for us. I also agree that TLJ was subversive and risky, and imo some of those risks paid off and were really interesting (fuck all of the haters of the Luke stuff with Rey and Kylo, cause I'm still on board with it). And I like the idea of literally digging deep into the morality of the SW universe the way it did. Canto Bight, however, didn't do it for me. But if it did it for you, that's great, man.

• Thanks 1

After Avengers: Age of Ultron came in lower than anticipated, I didn't want to get my expectations raised again. However, IW has shocked me to my core. I didn't expect it to break the OW record. This is just an amazing result. Even with 2.4x legs, a $258M OW gets the movie to over $619M domestically. This is definitely a golden year for superhero films at the box office.

This is more impressive than what TDK and IM did back in 2008. And BP and IW are both from Disney/Marvel. Disney is just slaughtering the box office. We are in a golden age for Disney at the box office.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

2M. Next weekend gonna be a 99,9% plunge to under 1M in gross.

@Ethan Hunt was right after all.

no one seems to be trying to make predictions for today, isn't it an important day to see how this run is going to shape?