CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

26 minutes ago, DAR said:

Disney now owns 90 percent of the top ten domestic openings

Jurassic World ain’t going anywhere for a few years. 

12 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

And what other movie from any studio can get to 210M ow? Can't think of any. 

Fallen Kingdom? 

• ...wtf 1

9 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Disney need 7 more 210M ow movies to get the exclusivity of it: Avengers 4, TLK, EpIX, Avatar 2 seem 4 safe bets in the next two and a half years gap.

Aladdin seems possible, since it's a 4-day ow, and that boosts Sunday's numbers, so FSS could be high.  

Solo, Toy Story 4 seem weak bets (on the 150-ish ow).

Frozen 2 is out of it, since it opens on wednesday (had it opened on regular thursday night previews, it would have stood the chance of a 200M+ ow)

And what other movie from any studio can get to 210M ow? Can't think of any. 

I agree with A4 and EP IX, TLK could go either way (just 100M or around TFA and IW), I doubt Avatar 2, Cameron always was about legs and I think Avatar 2 will be similar (but with a higher OW and weaker legs than Avatar)

Don't know about Aladdin as Memorial isn't really the Weekend any longer. 

Solo and TS4 won't happen. (I think even 150 might be too high)

I also doubt Frozen 2 would do it even with a Regular start.

I doubt any will in the near future, but never underestimate WB and Universal.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

After being threadbanned since 12:46pm Friday over this historic weekend.  

This result was worth it.. 

I would argue this was easily the best attended weekend of all time for a movie here.

@baumer @DAJK

The Saturday Gross of IW iw a legendary gross. Unless I am mistaken IW sold for tickets  during day then any movie ever before in the modern box office.

We don't really know (because well just $ and now average Ticket Price) but based on that difference between this and the previous records, that is likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, Taruseth said:

We don't really know (because well just $ and now average Ticket Price) but based on that difference between this and the previous records, that is likely.

My local theater broke its record on Saturday beating the likes of legendary Saturdays of avengers spiderman 3 and spiderman 

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

DEADLINE

Internationally, Infinity Wardislodged Jurassic World ($316.7M) at No. 2 (that movie also had China at open). In comps that did not include China at the bow, Infinity War‘s overseas start blew past Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2($314M) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($281M). Worldwide, only three movies had previously topped $500M in their openings: F8, The Force Awakens and Jurassic World.

Pre-opening indications from the industry saw a $275M international opening for Infinity War at the high end. No one was calling $300M+ until we saw how Friday was working overseas, but the ultimate $380M was “unexpected and unlike anything that anyone would have projected,” Disney Worldwide Distribution chief Dave Hollis tell Deadline. “Honestly, this is a result that goes unbelievably beyond what anyone would have expected. But it’s also a reflection of what 10 years of really methodical work and a great campaign, and an unbelievably strong movie and every single person being in the movie and what that means for driving people into cinemas,” he adds.

It was a perfect storm of the critically- and fan-praised picture playing well everywhere. In places where Marvel typically excels like Latin America, Infinity War “just exploded,” says Hollis who notes Mexico’s $25.1M “is take your breath away.” And, markets that have not historically played as well (some of Europe, for example) “played far better than they ever have.”

The movie posted the highest opening weekend in industry history in Korea, India (non-local), the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil, Central America, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Venezuela, Bolivia, South Africa, Turkey (non-local), the UAE and West Africa.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, pensivepenguin said:

This is mighty impressive and all but given how we're not in the holiday season (like how it was during TFA's run), should we expect a record-breaking Sunday-Monday drop, too?

What do you mean with record breaking drop?

$-wise probably (the highest drop right now is Avengers with $-38,167,734 and just -66.9%)

%-wise, I doubt that. The previous highest are probably above 85% (no idea:hahaha:)

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

I think it's very likely. It beat the adjusted gross of 2012 Avengers by $4.4 million and the adjusted gross of Jurassic World by $5.5 million. That's a very good margin on both of them. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/f-th.htm?page=Sat&adjust_yr=2018&p=.htm

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

My local theater broke its record on Saturday beating the likes of legendary Saturdays of avengers spiderman 3 and spiderman 

That is impressive.

(Mine definitely didn't.... That Saturday probably wasn't even in the top 50:lol:)

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

DEADLINE

Internationally, Infinity Wardislodged Jurassic World ($316.7M) at No. 2 (that movie also had China at open). In comps that did not include China at the bow, Infinity War‘s overseas start blew past Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2($314M) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($281M). Worldwide, only three movies had previously topped $500M in their openings: F8, The Force Awakens and Jurassic World.

Pre-opening indications from the industry saw a $275M international opening for Infinity War at the high end. No one was calling $300M+ until we saw how Friday was working overseas, but the ultimate $380M was “unexpected and unlike anything that anyone would have projected,” Disney Worldwide Distribution chief Dave Hollis tell Deadline. “Honestly, this is a result that goes unbelievably beyond what anyone would have expected. But it’s also a reflection of what 10 years of really methodical work and a great campaign, and an unbelievably strong movie and every single person being in the movie and what that means for driving people into cinemas,” he adds.

It was a perfect storm of the critically- and fan-praised picture playing well everywhere. In places where Marvel typically excels like Latin America, Infinity War “just exploded,” says Hollis who notes Mexico’s $25.1M “is take your breath away.” And, markets that have not historically played as well (some of Europe, for example) “played far better than they ever have.”

The movie posted the highest opening weekend in industry history in Korea, India (non-local), the Philippines, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil, Central America, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Venezuela, Bolivia, South Africa, Turkey (non-local), the UAE and West Africa.

That is impressive.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

What do you mean with record breaking drop?

$-wise probably (the highest drop right now is Avengers with $-38,167,734 and just -66.9%)

%-wise, I doubt that. The previous highest are probably above 85% (no idea:hahaha:)

I guess I shouldn't have used "record breaking drop".  What I wanted to ask is, what number is considered "ok" for Monday's gross?

• ...wtf 1