Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

lol at any body using black panther's audience score to judge it's reception among the GA. As soon as it was released it had like  a 72% audience score. It was 100% lowered by racists lmao. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theater update:

Reveal hidden contents

Solo: 403/1,757 (Up 72) (347 2D/56 3D)

Book Club: 88/528 (Up 16)

Deadpool 2: 75/1,154 (Up 26)

Avengers: Infinity War: 15/240 (Up 7) (8 2D/7 3D)

Breaking In: 12/203 (Up 4)

Show Dogs: 11/315 (Up 4)

Life of the Party: 7/204 (Up 2)

Solo comps (reminder that school is out):

39% of Infinity War (100.5M)

41% of The Last Jedi (90.2M) (numbers are from Thursday night)

61% of Black Panther (123.2M)

94% of Deadpool 2 (118M)

99% of Thor: Ragnarok (121.5M)

131% of Justice League (122.9M)

308% of Jumanji (111.5M)

averages to 112.5

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think the problem is an Obi Wan film seems so small scale.

What he faces off against the Sand People? Unless you throw in Child Luke and some connections to the Vader and Palpatine storyline. 

We already had a much more interesting sand people storyline in KOTR @4815162342

I wouldn't go that far. The Tatooine arc in KOTOR is very broad strokes with not much nuance.

If BP is your one, singular data point to prove audience score manipulation... then I don't think there's anything there.  The score is 79, which is a bit low I admit, but only very slightly lower than it should be.  It's not 60, or 50ish, like TLJ.  A score of 79 means that audiences liked the movie, and that's reflected in the legs.

I'm not sure anyone can find such a movie... again, one that has great legs and yet received a really terrible audience score that was probably manipulated.  TLJ had awful legs and an awful user score.  BP had great legs, and a solid positive user score.  If some other movie exists, point it out.

I think the audience scores online are far more predictive and correlated to performance than some would want to admit.

One thing in favor of the future Star Wars standalone is that Disney can maybe actually try to market them and build hype. Solo marketing and trailers were underwhelming (I liked the 2nd trailer though) and didn't get people excited at all based on social media and trailer views.

I can't speak for international marketing efforts for Solo but it was probably similar. 

30 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Pretty sure at this point no other Star Wars movie is getting released outside of December for the next decade.

I agree. I meant that ironically. But personally I'd support that decision, even if it meant pushing Spider-Man to 2020 and reshuffling a ton of shit around. I'd like to see an Avengers movie perform in the Holidays, especially since I don't think Ep. IX will increase from TLJ by much or at all anyway.

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theater update:

Reveal hidden contents

Solo: 403/1,757 (Up 72) (347 2D/56 3D)

Book Club: 88/528 (Up 16)

Deadpool 2: 75/1,154 (Up 26)

Avengers: Infinity War: 15/240 (Up 7) (8 2D/7 3D)

Breaking In: 12/203 (Up 4)

Show Dogs: 11/315 (Up 4)

Life of the Party: 7/204 (Up 2)

Solo comps (reminder that school is out):

39% of Infinity War (100.5M)

41% of The Last Jedi (90.2M) (numbers are from Thursday night)

61% of Black Panther (123.2M)

94% of Deadpool 2 (118M)

99% of Thor: Ragnarok (121.5M)

131% of Justice League (122.9M)

308% of Jumanji (111.5M)

That's not good for Deadpool 2. That's not good at all :sadno:

1 minute ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Solo appears to be a spacefaring epic.  GOTG movies and the new Star Trek never brought any of them close to 1 billion worldwide

GOTG2 made over $850m... this will not get anywhere close to that lol

• Like 1

Yikes at the Solo preview number.

Everything about the movie just hasn't been a good idea. On top of the fact that no one wanted a Han Solo origin film, nor a film with a Han Solo not played by Ford, it's coming right off the heels of the divisive TLJ which (though I loved it) turned a lot of people off. Releasing a film like Solo so soon after it isn't turning them around.

Thank God there's a 1 year+ break between now and Episode 9 so they can get their shit together at Lucasfilms. A bunch of origin stories is not what people want.

16 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I wouldn't go that far. The Tatooine arc in KOTOR is very broad strokes with not much nuance.

Yes the personal choices as a play that you make is what makes it very entertaining :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Solo appears to be a spacefaring epic.  GOTG movies and the new Star Trek never brought any of them close to 1 billion worldwide

To me GOTG movies work on their own, while Solo isn't anything special once you remove the Star Wars name.

It's anecdotal of course, but as a very casual Star Wars fan I'd much rather wait 2 weeks and see Jurassic World 2, than pay to watch a movie about a character doing things we already know he did.

I wonder if Lucas could have possibly known these throwaway backstories he came up with in about half an hour for all these characters in the 70s would form the basis of a slew of tentpole films 40 years later.

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

After seeing Solo, I feel like it's aiming for the youngest audience for a Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace.  I'm curious how kids will react to the film.

In order for little kids to see it, their parents have to continue to be invested in SW.

In order for tweens and teens to see it, they need reasons to care about a Han Solo adventure movie (a character their dad likes but is too old and boring for them).

Prognosis:  Not good.

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

After seeing Solo, I feel like it's aiming for the youngest audience for a Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace.  I'm curious how kids will react to the film.

My 12-year old said she really loved it.  I enjoyed it, too, but I do think she liked it more.  She liked Quira a lot.  Says she wants to be her for Halloween.

• Like 2