Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Aside from the obvious, this weekend was awful for DP2, whereas IW had a great Sat, Sun, Mon.

It actually had a good Friday this week too, relatively to the last 3 Fridays, where the numbers kept on causing meltdowns that were quickly put out by respective following Saturdays lol. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah 90% sure they'll move Avengers 4 up a week and again won't reveal it until early next year just to keep other studios on their toes. 

hahahahahahaha Disney

dicks

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

It actually had a good Friday this week too, relatively to the last 3 Fridays, where the numbers kept on causing meltdowns that were quickly put out by respective following Saturdays lol. 

It wasn’t bad, but it was a higher week-to-week drop than I was hoping for. The next 3 days otoh exceeded even optimistic estimates.

23 minutes ago, Fake said:

Well... I wouldn't go that low either.

DP2 should be at 231M after Thursday. Assuming it drops 50% next weekend (should be manageable given it is an open week), it should do 22M weekend, and consequently 33M for the week.

Another 50% drop can be assumed for the next week (against Ocean's 8). So another 16-17M.

Thus DP2 should be at 280M when Incredibles opens.

If DP2 misses 300M, it won't be by more than 10M.

300M chances aren't fully gone yet. But it needs to have a sub-50% drop next weekend.

You think Deadpool 2 is only dropping 50% next weekend? I would be pleasantly surprised if it did that well. Dropping 65% on a Holiday weekend doesn't give me a lot of confidence that it's dropping under 55%.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I disagree. Especially since I don't see IW part 2 being anywhere close to Age of Ultron in terms of box office. 

I dunno man, you've yet to convince me that you can put Deadpool 2 and John Wick 3 in the same basket. They're such different properties and Wick is gunning for a way lower target than Deadpool is. If Wick 3's total can match DP2's OW, I'd consider that a tremendous success.

I don't think we're at the point where cinemas can only support one film at a time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm still standing by my $260M prediction for DP2. 

But how? 

It’s at 219M after Memorial Day today.

You’re saying it’ll only made 40M more off of a 43M weekend it just had? With summer weekdays coming up?

Only 40M more means weekly drops for both weekdays and weekends closer to 70% from now on.

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

I dunno man, you've yet to convince me that you can put Deadpool 2 and John Wick 3 in the same basket. They're such different properties and Wick is gunning for a way lower target than Deadpool is. If Wick 3's total can match DP2's OW, I'd consider that a tremendous success.

I don't think we're at the point where cinemas can only support one film at a time.

I'm not saying they're gunning for the same numbers. I'm saying they're both R-rated action films that have a relatively niche audience (DP2 has a larger niche audience but given its drop we can agree that it's audience is smaller than we originally thought and isn't like a typical CBM) with John Wick 3 being affected by Infinity War part 2 in a similar way that Deadpool 2 was effected by IW. 

I understand movie theaters can play more than one movie at a time but I'm expecting Infinity War part 2 to be so large that it's going to wreck havoc on every movie in its path. 

And in regards to the audience, I feel like John Wick 3 shares part of Infinity War's audience. Not as much as DP2s but enough so that I wouldn't be shocked to see John Wick 3 decrease. Which is why I think it needs to be moved. Like Deadpool, it's a type of film that works best in a quieter month. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sam said:

But how? 

It’s at 219M after Memorial Day today.

You’re saying it’ll only made 40M more off of a 43M weekend it just had? With summer weekdays coming up?

Only 40M more means weekly drops for both weekdays and weekends closer to 70% from now on.

Yes. It's drops are going to get uglier. 

Save this post for reference 

Edited by Nova
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

A4 is definitely moving up but again, and detective pikachu is going to flop in its current spot. August would be better for it. John Wick is fine. R Rated older male skewing action is not going to overlap with either IW or Aladdin. And Lion King is a strong contender for 700 and maybe 800m. Yea people won’t believe it until they see it, but those people seriously underestimate just how loved and widespread Lion King is. It’s synonymous with Disney. 

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

A4 is definitely moving up but again, and detective pikachu is going to flop in its current spot. August would be better for it. John Wick is fine. R Rated older male skewing action is not going to overlap with either IW or Aladdin. And Lion King is a strong contender for 700 and maybe 800m. Yea people won’t believe it until they see it, but those people seriously underestimate just how loved and widespread Lion King is. It’s synonymous with Disney. 

I'm so freaking confident in my 800mil Lion King prediction. I think it's at least hitting 750mil. I also think Aladdin is going to be another Disney M-day weekend disappointment. 

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

I'm not saying they're gunning for the same numbers. I'm saying they're both R-rated action films that have a relatively niche audience (DP2 has a larger niche audience but given its drop we can agree that it's audience is smaller than we originally thought and isn't like a typical CBM) with John Wick 3 being affected by Infinity War part 2 in a similar way that Deadpool 2 was effected by IW. 

Deadpool... niche

:apocalypse:

Any film that released that close to IW would've been affected

I'm sorry Nova but I had to. I think you might've got hold to Blind Al's stash.

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

Deadpool is not niche, I do know that Deadpool 2's performance makes me even happier that WB is keeping IT in September. Some on here thought that WB should "upgrade" the release date and I thought that would be a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, I always thought that Deadpool 2 was making less than the first but I think it would done a little better in another slot. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6