Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This thread is like if Hitler came back as a topic on an internet message board

And here I thought Ocean's 8 was gonna be the movie that brought out the ugly side of the Internet this summer. Sure glad I was wrong about that!

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I haven't seen Solo yet (tomorrow) but even discussing its numbers feels like a futile endeavor because it only results in a bunch of silly nonsense. Nobody bats a thousand forever; have we all forgotten about that animated Star Wars movie that bombed a decade ago?

It didn't bomb. It had an $8.5 million budget with a minimal marketing campaign aimed primarily at kids and it performed as expected. It served it's purpose. By definition it is not a bomb. Nice try at revisionist history.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Disney is running SW into the ground.

I liked TFA and I liked TLJ and I liked RO and I thought Solo was fun but I guess most people disagree. Turns out SW was not the strong brand we were let to believe.

Or maybe they should've kept the Lucas strategy and released a new one every 3 years, instead of every 6months to a year. Disney's confusing the star wars fandom with the MCU fandom!

6 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

So an R rated Horror movie with 35M budget is going to do more than a SW film DOM, OS and WW. Who saw that coming?

Give the rights to WB...:ph34r:

15 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The greatest, most epic trilogy ever, the most epic movies ever made! Monumental cinema

Nothing comes close! 

My annual rewatch might have to become bi-annual.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My cat is named Solo. We adopted/stole him on the weekend TFA dropped, hence the name. He's the best. Way better than anything Ron Howard ever directed IMO.

Image may contain: cat

My first cat was called Anakin, my current cats are Padmé and Leia, mother and daughter, rehomed them and they are the sweetest thing.

Leia always tells me how her mother is so beautiful and kind... which doesn't make any sense... because I can't speak cat.

Edited by Ranger Tree
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Water Bottle said:

It didn't bomb. It had an $8.5 million budget with a minimal marketing campaign aimed primarily at kids and it performed as expected. It served it's purpose. By definition it is not a bomb. Nice try at revisionist history.

Almost 3,500 theaters circa 2008 isn't a minimal marketing campaign but ok.

• Like 1

The 14.1m in previews seem to point to a potentially middling result this weekend?  Like not great, not terrible, something down the middle.  Is that how you guys interpret it or do we not know yet?  This would seem to point to something above 100m domestic for the 4 day.

Just now, Ranger Tree said:

My first cat was called Anakin, my current cats are Padmé and Leia, mother and daughter, rehomed them and they are the sweetest thing.

Leia always tells me how her mother is so beautiful... which doesn't make any sense... because I can't speak cat.

Awwwwww.

Look at this nice guy!

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Do you really need to say why you disliked TLJ for the nth time in Solo’s weekend thread though?

This is another one of the type comments that I was talking about that’s exhausting.

On topic:

As for Solo’s numbers, I’m not sure what there is to say.  It’s not good, and this thread shows why we really need that 2 year Star Wars break.

What's the difference from you continuing to say you like it and you don't understand the dislike and want it to go away so SW can continue exactly how you want without acknowledging the criticisms?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJG said:

Its been 41 years and nobody will admit that it’s just an ok movie?!?!?

Cmon people, there’s ten minutes of some guys trying to escape a trash compactor.

Weren't you supposed to leave this thread? :wintf: