Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah pretty much made the ending of TFA pointless.  

How?

She got to the place, turns out he doesn’t give a fuck.

It doesn’t make TFA pointless, it just continues the story.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

How?

She got to the place, turns out he doesn’t give a fuck.

It doesn’t make TFA pointless, it just continues the story.

which ended up being a great story and turned into a shitty story? :lol:

The director could had Luke Storm off and made the scene perhaps ten times more effective. 

So the purpose of that scene was just to "ha you did not see that coming!" It pretty much shows that TLJ is a divisive film where even a scene like this causes such a polarizing reaction. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

This pissed people off???? Really????? 

Dude, if you really want to know, there's about 100+ videos that go into every freaking single little detail. There's a reason so many have given up on discussing it. It went from the take down videos to attacking the merchandise and beyond.

Mainly the treatment of Luke though. They HATED that and all of the Canto Bight/General Holdo stuff. 

38 minutes ago, John Marston said:

So TLJ Drips over 700m from FA and had bad legs for a December release. Solo flat out bombs

but according to many on this site, everything is all good! It’s just those evil right wingers who are disliking them and Episode 9 is guaranteed for a huge increase 

Just hail corporate things. Where were all these "concerned fans" when the Internet and RLM bullied George Lucas into selling his creation? Oh yeah they were the people doing it, but it wasn't toxic then.

36 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah. The past few months have really soured me on the franchise despite liking everything in the sequel trilogy so far. Basement dwellers just don't know how to shut the fuck up.

It says more about you that you have to view your detractors that way. That's me in my avatar, go ahead call me a neck beard basement dweller; I'm a married family man and could be your landlord.

• Like 1

I said before, I liked Luke's TLJ story. It seemed appropriate to me overall for the Skywalker story.

The rest of the movie was an incoherent nonsensical mess. It didn't make me angry, just bored.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

This is horrible from a respect site like Mojo

Only if you assume that Solo is playing as an uber-front-loaded, fan-service Star Wars film. If it is playing more towards kids and families (which many have said), the weekend would have a very different shape than Deadpool 2, or prior Star Wars films.

16 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's quite obxonious. The Star Wars fanbase is pretty toxic right now. Honestly, I'm fine with the franchise taking a 2 year break, just so I didn't have to read pages and pages of the same thing of "OMG, Disney's ruining Star Wars. IX will decrease, and here's how to fix it". 

When I don't like a film in a long-running "mega franchise", I say why I don't like it, and then that's it. No need to keep complaining. It's tiring. 

Exactly, plus given how varied the SW movies are, it’s kind of inevitable you’ll eventually run across one you don’t like.  

Same with Marvel or anything else.

I also have opinions on things LF could do that’d help BO results, but they’re just my opinions and honestly pretty useless.  LF won’t actually read them or take them seriously, and they’re going to do what they’re planning regardless.  Going full troll mode because they aren’t going in a direction I’d personally prefer won’t stop them and it’ll just be toxic for me and everyone I spew the vitrol to (plus if you’re open minded, you can end up really liking something you weren’t sold on at first.  Rogue One was an example for me, I thought it was kind of a “What?” Idea but it was executed well imo).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

which ended up being a great story and turned into a shitty story? :lol:

The director could had Luke Storm off and made the scene perhaps ten times more effective. 

Because he threw the lightsaber instead of stomp away?!?!?! 

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Dude, if you really want to know, there's about 100+ videos that go into every freaking single little detail. There's a reason so many have given up on discussing it. It went from the take down videos to attacking the merchandise and beyond.

Mainly the treatment of Luke though. They HATED that and all of the Canto Bight/General Holdo stuff. 

Those videos seemingly all devolve into some nerd complaining about women.

36 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The films been out a night and has been surrounded by nothing but bad press with a fanbase that hated TLJ that is actively praying that is fails and sabotaging every ratings system they can. 

What are they supposed to do? They can't even put out a regular summer blockbuster like Marvel does ever summer without being criticized for playing it too safe despite this film following the same formula that worked with those. I really don't get it.

People would rather have no SW films at all judging by many of the reactions I'm reading despite this film being vastly different than everything that's come before.

Whatever man.

I'm not one to agree with the SW purists trolls, but what is your basis for claiming sabotage? The want to see score basically is a poll for people to vote if they want to see it or not. The trolls are exerting their ability to vote in the poll, you could claim there is sabotage if people are making multiple accounts to vote, where is your evidence? All we can see is that the haters are a vocal percentage of the audience.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

This pissed people off???? Really????? 

I mean, there is a lot of videos and posts on Internet which perfectly explain why the movie itself with its story/plot/subplot is meh and why it’s a mediocre Star Wars

Don’t generalize Star Wars fan or just moviegoers who don’t like TLJ 

• Like 1

My prediction.

Thursday: 14.1M

Friday: 23.1M (Full OD is 2.64x previews, compared to TFA's 2.12x, TLJ's 2.33x, and RO's 2.45x)

Saturday: 25.9M (+12% from true Friday, better than any of the previous Star Wars movies, and in line with previous memorial day releases)

Sunday: 24.6M (-5%)

3-Day: 87.7M

Ballparking OS right now looks like this. Rogue One opened to 135M OS with Japan and without China. Solo has fallen more than 50% from Rogue One everywhere, but let's take 50 for calculation, add in China 10M and remove Japan 7M and we get about 70M. Let's be generous and say 75M.

Now if it gets a good 2.5x legs OS despite Jurassic World 2 being unleashed in 10-12 days in most countries, it gets to 190M. Maybe Japan gives 35M for 225M.

So currently the OS ceiling looks like 225M and there's a genuine chance it ends below 200M OS.

This is a mega rejection for a movie with Star Wars in the name.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Ballparking OS right now looks like this. Rogue One opened to 135M OS with Japan and without China. Solo has fallen more than 50% from Rogue One everywhere, but let's take 50 for calculation, add in China 10M and remove Japan 7M and we get about 70M. Let's be generous and say 75M.

Now if it gets a good 2.5x legs OS despite Jurassic World 2 being unleashed in 10-12 days in most countries, it gets to 190M. Maybe Japan gives 35M for 225M.

So currently the OS ceiling looks like 225M and there's a genuine chance it ends below 200M OS.

This is a mega rejection for a movie with Star Wars in the name.

I imagine the little girl beeing Solo in 2 weeks overseas lol.

GrossSomeKomododragon-size_restricted.gi

5 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I said before, I liked Luke's TLJ story. It seemed appropriate to me overall for the Skywalker story.

The rest of the movie was an incoherent nonsensical mess. It didn't make me angry, just bored.

Do you really need to say why you disliked TLJ for the nth time in Solo’s weekend thread though?

This is another one of the type comments that I was talking about that’s exhausting.

On topic:

As for Solo’s numbers, I’m not sure what there is to say.  It’s not good, and this thread shows why we really need that 2 year Star Wars break.