Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

well it should or else its heading for a sub 30 million opening day :hahaha:

I actually thing this is heading for a 100 million 4-day which I think is okay considering the terrible presales. 

With 4 day DOM weekend tracking last week at $150-$170M (and WW total of $285M-$340M for the weekend) and Disney's own internal tracking as of yesterday at $130-$150M, a $100M 4 day would be catastrophic, not okay...especially when you add the WW number...

And presales weren't terrible til the last 48 hours or so...when presales normally turn from the uber-fan to the GA audience...so I think we now finally have an idea of the sheer amount of "absolutely will always watch Star Wars" fanbase...at least as it is right now...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Of course not. Did you even read what I wrote?

Rogue One never had the "meh, why do we even need this reactions" that Solo had from quite a few people right from the get go. If Solo had came out in 2016, it probably would have done a bit better than it will now, it would have had a longer break before it came out, there would have been only one new movie before it, and there would still have been some remnants of the hype surrounding TFA, but that wouldn't have been enough to match the bigger interest that Rogue One always had.

Also a much happier and positive and open-minded fanbase.. .

I am not saying Solo would have done RO numbers but I doubt it be doing under 100 million 3-day either if it was in RO spot. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

With 4 day DOM weekend tracking last week at $150-$170M (and WW total of $285M-$340M for the weekend) and Disney's own internal tracking as of yesterday at $130-$150M, a $100M 4 day would be catastrophic, not okay...especially when you add the WW number...

And presales weren't terrible til the last 48 hours or so...when presales normally turn from the uber-fan to the GA audience...so I think we now finally have an idea of the sheer amount of "absolutely will always watch Star Wars" fanbase...at least as it is right now...

LF better start lowering the budgets then.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Space franchises just don't translate well overseas, I guess. Even the newer Star Trek films were flops in several markets.

I don't buy it.  Star Wars and Star Trek are both legacy franchises.  GOTG is heavily rooted in 1970's culture, and thus doesn't resonate as much outside of the US.

Also, take a look at how GOTG2 and TLJ perform in various overseas territories.  GOTG2 does better in many of the Asian and Latin American countries (Bolivia, Brazil, China, Columbia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Paraguay, Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, and Venuzuela).  There clearly is a franchise specific component here.

Honestly, I don't think Rogue One's concept is on paper particularly better than Solo's ("how the Death Star plans were stolen!", "How Solo got the Falcon!"), and that one turned out particularly well BO-wise. So poor choice of concept doesn't really explain Solo's failure to me. 

Something that I don't see people mentioning often is the fact that it was released so soon after TLJ. To me that was a mistake. The film had problems to create its own hype (RO actually needed quite a few trailers and time until it began catching fire), and people's SW appetite was sated (TLJ's reception also didn't help). IIRC only Marvel has been able to pull off releasing same-universe movies so close to each other and still have them all do well. 

Personally I think that Disney overplayed their hand. I guess they wanted to see if this could be their second MCU. It needs to be back to one movie every 1-2 years.

31 minutes ago, John Marston said:

remember this weekend will be inflated thanks to the holiday. Next week it will likely drop 60%+ 

29 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Answer me honestly...

If Solo opened when Rogue One did, it would do the same? :ph34r:

They can't answer honestly. All these people annoyed that TLJ keeps getting mentioned and calling this thread cancer just can't see it's bc of their denial.

We are watching Solo bomb after the previous film was disliked, and people still can't say without a qualifier, and, or, but, snide, disappointed, angry remark that TLJ is having a large impact on performance.

if TLJ's dislike could be objectively and truthfully acknowledge without derision or an argument, it would all stop. You wouldn't need post after post to exaplin what is right in front of us but denied.

Edited by Rebelscum

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Marvel movies are more diverse. Anyone who claims that they are the same is a freaking liar. Kennedy and crew have not diversified Star Wars enough to release so many movies in such close proximity. 

I’ve said this since TLJ. All these Star Wars films look identical, they sound identical. The same specific elements pop up in each film. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, somebody85 said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/solo_a_star_wars_story/reviews/?type=user

There you go. You should see it immediately. That system is being utilized and is not indicative of WOM at all. Twitter was actually a lot better.

One last one because I'm already exhausted discussing this movie:
One star and a half - "REMEMBER, if you don't rate this film at least 1 star (1.5 to be safe), your vote WILL NOT BE COUNTED in score algorithm. 

Lucasfilm has gone completely astray. Kathleen Kennedy needs to be fired for what she did (and what's she's doing) to Star Wars. 

For this garbage, they miscast Han and told an unescessary story. It's terrible."

Seriously, fuck these people man. Have a problem with KK, take it out on Episode 9. Solo has had enough trouble. Ron Howard and all the crew that worked on this, do not deserve this.

I love how you ignored all the legit criticisms for the movie from people who’ve actually seen the film and just posted these because they fit your agenda. Just face it, some people don’t like the movie because it’s just extremely average.

Just now, Mekanos said:

I think I'd like to get back the 30 minutes or so I spent reading this thread.

Times like this I'm glad I'm not a diehard Star Wars fan...

is there anything really wrong with this thread?

when you have a Star Wars movie bombing what kind of thread do you really expect? 

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

I’ve said this since TLJ. All these Star Wars films look identical, they sound identical. The same specific elements pop up in each film. 

I wonder if Kennedy is going to keep up the strict "this is what Star Wars has to be" idea when transitioning away from the Skywalker saga?

9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Do I want to read the 58pages of the thread? Any recommendations for like page xy till xy are enjoyable?

Dont read any of it. Really, its not worth it.

• Thanks 1