Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

10 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

This is the type of post that is irritating.

People are not "praying" for anything.

Some people are speculating, for reasons that have been articulated in many threads over the last few days,  that Solo's OW might be less front loaded then the last Christmas released SW films.  They are either right or they are wrong which we won't know until tomorrow although we can try to gain some insight from what happens throughout today.

That is what we do in a numbers thread on a Box Office forum.

This treating individual movies/franchises like sporting events where individual members seem to have personal stakes in their outcome turn this threads into cesspools when people start gloating/ranting if they perceive they have 'won' or 'lost'.

It happens on both side but the negativity and wishing for movies to fail far outweigh the overly positive fanboys.

Maybe weekends for big films need two threads, the Numbers only thread and the "discussion" thread

IronJimbo here just revolutionising the site don't mind me

Just now, titanic2187 said:

I won't pay a single cent on solo just for avenging SW's murder that happened Dec 2015

Every star wars fan here, I suggest you to do the same...Come on star wars fan, don't be like conventional fan boys, you have the right to reject something that is clearly humiliating, you don't need to defend a badly produced product just because of its brand.  

fixed that one for you

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would laugh if this ended up being like Fantastic Beasts where a lot of people expected low-ish numbers because they were expecting Harry Potter-level frontloading and it ends up doing better than that. FWIW it's on track to sell better at my theater for tonight than it was for last night so...

FB had the padding of almost 600M OS as well. The OS take so far though :thinking:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You cannot dismiss that people thought a Han Solo origin story was a stupid idea to begin with though. So no it's not just TLJ fault, I'd say it's the film's premise fault more than TLJ's mixed reception. This was never a billion dollar idea.

Exactly. It starts with low interest in the idea. Previous movie's divisive reception is an extra factor but it isn't a deciding factor. Bad idea is the essence and the rest is just snowballing but not the root of the problem - casting a total beta in place of an iconic alpha, production troubles with fired directors, TLJ pissing off fans and dampening GA enthusiasm, etc. Even if the extra factors were favorable, this still wouldn't break out due to lack of interest in this particular story. Would have done slightly better dom. OS is lost, tho.

Edited by Valonqar

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

except TLJ has 100% to do with this. It was the last movie in the franchise and it clearly soured a lot of people despite what people here claim

I understand Rian Johnson fanboys are now upset and are lashing out now that it is clear TLJ was not that well received by audiences to the point where it clearly hurt the brand, but it is time to accept it. 

You really can't stop yourself from posting nonsensical claims, can't you?

No one here has claimed that TLJ hasn't soured SW for some people. Repeating a lie doesn't somehow make it true.

It's also funny to accuse others of being upset and lashing out, when people like you and a few others have basically spent the last few months ranting without end over this issue, even in topics that had nothing whatsoever to do with TLJ.

It's also absurd to claim to know what exactly is causing Solo to do less. There is no possible way to know what exactly caused this, much less on how much each individual factor may be responsible for it. All you actually can say, is that the reaction to TLJ may be one of the factors that cause Solo to make less, alongside stuff like a general lack of interest in the movie (which existed right from when this movie was announced), too short of a break (the last movie came out just six months ago) or too much Star Wars in general (four movies in just 2 1/2 years).

Kind of typical though. Just take everything you want to be true as definite fact, and throw everything else right out of the window as irrelevant. Doesn't have much to do with realtiy, but it sure is nice to pretend that it is. Also works much better when one wants to be smug about something.

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

You really can't stop yourself from posting nonsensical claims, can't you?

No one here has claimed that TLJ hasn't soured SW for some people. Repeating a lie doesn't somehow make it true.

It's also funny to accuse others of being upset and lashing out, when people like you and a few others have basically spent the last few months ranting without end over this issue, even in topics that had nothing whatsoever to do with TLJ.

It's also absurd to claim to know what exactly is causing Solo to do less. There is no possible way to know what exactly caused this, much less on how much each individual factor may be responsible for it. All you actually can say, is that the reaction to TLJ may be one of the factors that cause Solo to make less, alongside stuff like a general lack of interest in the movie (which existed right from when this movie was announced), too short of a break (the last movie came out just six months ago) or too much Star Wars in general (four movies in just 2 1/2 years).

Kind of typical though. Just take everything you want to be true as definite fact, and throw everything else right out of the window as irrelevant. Doesn't have much to do with realtiy, but it sure is nice to pretend that it is. Also works much better when one wants to be smug about something.

Answer me honestly...

If Solo opened when Rogue One did, it would do the same? :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

Heres something from this month

Okay but apart from the huge list games, what have the pandas ever done for us?

Edited by Ranger Tree
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

FB had the padding of almost 600M OS as well. The OS take so far though :thinking:

Space franchises just don't translate well overseas, I guess. Even the newer Star Trek films were flops in several markets.

46 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Or just maybe when you guys started attacking the actual actors and crew with death threats, you might have gone just a little too far and pissed them off. Diasy Ridley had to shut all her social media down and Mark Hamill had to comment about all of it.

This was way more about not taking criticism well...but nevermind man. You are clearly one of those that are way too obsessed with this vendetta.

Why do you cook up these weird identities for people that disagree with you? Perfectly normal well adjusted people can disagree, it doesn't mean you or the otherside has to be weird with issue to explain the difference.

this is the first time I have spoke about the TLJ in months, don't have a Twitter, no a YouTuber. I'm a busy perfectly mild mannered married man with a job who has a day off.

as far as who went where 1st, opening weekend already had people being called stupid for disliking the movie. It wasn't even Monday and the PR was already putting down fans and the OT to defend the TLJ. I remember exactly bc I flipped after the treatment of criticisms. I got out of the theater and thought that was weird, underwhelming, and pretty derrivative, but not as bad as TFA. Then when all criticism was met with insults and the only way of of praise was by putting other movies or people down, I had to really think about the movie.

after close consideration looking for the intelligent, new, bold directions that SW needed, I saw how weak, poorly executed, and incoherent the story was mixed with aggressive cynicism, corporate branding, and disdain.

Edited by Rebelscum
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Space franchises just don't translate well overseas, I guess. Even the newer Star Trek films were flops in several markets.

yet each Star Wars movie is extremely expensive. You need those overseas dollars if you're going to spend so much

Just now, filmlover said:

which is why you cant spend 250 million on SW spinoff movies... :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Answer me honestly...

If Solo opened when Rogue One did, it would do the same? :ph34r:

Of course not. Did you even read what I wrote?

Rogue One never had the "meh, why do we even need this reactions" that Solo had from quite a few people right from the get go. If Solo had came out in 2016, it probably would have done a bit better than it will now, it would have had a longer break before it came out, there would have been only one new movie before it, and there would still have been some remnants of the hype surrounding TFA, but that wouldn't have been enough to match the bigger interest that Rogue One always had.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this started out with a much more modest (relatively, of course) budget until the production drama happened and caused the budget to skyrocket. It's what happens when you more or less shoot a movie twice.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I didn’t just make an account on a Box Office website just to trash a movie, that’s the difference.

That person broke a record for the fastest time to ignore. Hasn't been here a day yet and I've already dropped the hammer on 'em. :jedi:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

With $14.1M in previews, I'm thinking $35-40M total for the Friday gross. $35M would represent the same share of opening day from previews as Rogue One, but I suspect it may not be quite as frontloaded as Rogue One, given the film and the smaller previews. But who knows. I'm unsure of whether it will be as frontloaded as your typical Star Wars film, or not. And Memorial Day weekend makes it that much more difficult for me to project ahead.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Exactly, even though FB did better domestically than what its opening weekend would suggest, it's overall seen as a success mostly because of its OS gross, which Solo has no hope of achieving... (not even half of it :mellow:)