Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Jay Beezy said:

At the same time, this isn’t an episodic that propels the overall SW narrative forward nor a prequel that fills a narrative hole/pet peeve. No surprise this isn’t reaching typical SW highs because this isn’t typical.

it's still a Star Wars movie

it still received a large marketing push with many tie ins. It's not like Disney treated it like a small movie

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

When Deadpool 2 is flopping but its over shadowed by a Star Wars movie bombing 

Now I know why Fox moved Deadpool 2 up before Solo 

honestly Deadpool 2 staying at its original release date would have been better for it domestically. But I guess because of the world cup and overseas box office they just moved it up everywhere

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The level of rejection WW is what is really interesting to me. Every country, be it a favorable one for Star Wars or one of the growing markets where people don't care for the franchise, just decided to not show up for the movie. We rarely get such a unanimous rejection of a movie, especially Star Wars where this is pretty much unprecedented.

Someone who's not into Star Wars probably has no desire to watch a Han Solo movie. Those markets won't ever do well until Disney makes a movie that stands on its own and is not filled to the brim with nostalgia.

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

honestly Deadpool 2 staying at its original release date would have been better for it domestically. But I guess because of the world cup and overseas box office they just moved it up everywhere

They moved it up because of OS markets i.e. the World Cup and most likely JW opening. I didnt know JW was being released when it was OS so because of that it made sense for them to move it up. 

Domestically is another story but I didnt expect it to do THIS bad especially since its been holding decently in OS markets. 

34 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Blankments

Just got out.  It's fun, good story, moves fast, good performances, Chewy is good.  

Having said that it's just a good movie.  Nothing I'll remember all that much.  Good time at the movies, won't see it again.

7.5/10

This is exactly my feelings on Solo. Good, fun movie, but don’t need to see it in theaters again. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

At the same time, this isn’t an episodic that propels the overall SW narrative forward nor a prequel that fills a narrative hole/pet peeve. No surprise this isn’t reaching typical SW highs because this isn’t typical.

This is exactly it. It's a spinoff six months after the last movie that doesn't connect to a shared universe or to the main story (like RO did) or feature any of the Jedi/Sith/Empire stuff that is what makes the franchise really tick. It's a very minor movie, made to look like a big one. And it didn't work. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yup, at least Transformers 5 and Justice League did well in sOME markets. It seems Solo is underperforming/bombing everywhere

yep, the loss of traditional markets friendly to SW is the shock of the century. SW seemed infallible there. Rejection by new markets is not surpsiring cause they ignored RO and TLJ already. 

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

Imagine being Paramount with a Bumblebee movie set to release in a few months

I honestly think it needs to move to MLK day weekend and be the big movie of January. Will also help it in Korea and China thanks to the New Year holidays.

2 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Someone who's not into Star Wars probably has no desire to watch a Han Solo movie. Those markets won't ever do well until Disney makes a movie that stands on its own and is not filled to the brim with nostalgia.

Probably impossible to do. Nearly every filmmaker has Star Wars nostalgia.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is exactly it. It's a spinoff six months after the last movie that doesn't connect to a shared universe or to the main story (like RO did) or feature any of the Jedi/Sith/Empire stuff that is what makes the franchise really tick. It's a very minor movie, made to look like a big one. And it didn't work. 

The REAL problem is that they spent like a big one. If they spend accordingly there's no problem here, some egg but it's all fine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The level of rejection WW is what is really interesting to me. Every country, be it a favorable one for Star Wars or one of the growing markets where people don't care for the franchise, just decided to not show up for the movie. We rarely get such a unanimous rejection of a movie, especially Star Wars where this is pretty much unprecedented.

Even Justice League had markets where it did well in (Brazil, China).  Solo has nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy said:

The REAL problem is that they spent like a big one. If they spend accordingly there's no problem here, some egg but it's all fine

Reshoots adding at least 50 million don't help either. 

Just now, Chewy said:

Yea the real budget for this shit is probably like 350m (cue five page useless debate). Like even Paramount smart enough to cut budget on the Bumblebee movie. 

The Fantastic Beasts series really is the perfect comp, next one probably doing under 200.

I remember reading on article on Homecoming from one of the trades. Sony was pitching a 300M budget and Feige shut that shit down real quick, explained that he likes to control costs on the first two flicks and then open the manpurse on the third. That way you aren't shooting yourself in both feet before the movie even opens

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Kathleen should’ve just taken a chance on Lord and Miller’s Ace Ventura Solo. Can’t get any worse than this!

yep, at least if Ace Hantura flopped it flopped due to excessive creativity and risk not for being bland unexciting safe film-making like this flop. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1