Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Well, there's a few things we now know...

1. Just like on JL weekend, we finally know, without a doubt, that TLJ was divisive and caused fans to leave the fan base ala BvS.  Just like with BvS, people denied that a wildly profitable movie that did have subpar legs had done any damage to the franchise.  Yet, just like the JL fans, Star Wars fans just can't deny it after this opening weekend.  It's truly one I didn't think I'd see...and I went awfully low.  But, this is actual REJECTION of a universe, not just apathy.  The movie isn't that bad, but folks just don't want to hear it - it will take something seriously good or different to win them back.  

2. Something needs to change over in the Star Wars group...somebody needs to actually have a plan for how they go forward.  Whether it's single, mid budget movies...or tight trilogy tentpoles that stick to a path...something needs to change.  Domestic rejection, when there already is outright WW rejection, can't stand.  I mean if you think this weekend result is bad...lord...it's nothing when Disney is now also stuck with acres of unsellable merchandise everywhere.  I mean, with this kinda rejection, who is buying all the shirts, lunchboxes, books, toys, etc...

We also know that this movie probably is gone from at least 1/2 its theaters by Jurassic World...an opening this low with other movies aimed at the same fan base isn't gonna keep it around when 3-4 screens are being taken for I2 and JW (and heldover for O8, DP2, and AIW - which is probably the big winner here, b/c it might outlast Solo - make fun of me now, but how many movies did BP outlast:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, there's a few things we now know...

1. Just like on JL weekend, we finally know, without a doubt, that TLJ was divisive and caused fans to leave the fan base ala BvS.  Just like with BvS, people denied that a wildly profitable movie that did have subpar legs had done any damage to the franchise.  Yet, just like the JL fans, Star Wars fans just can't deny it after this opening weekend.  It's truly one I didn't think I'd see...and I went awfully low.  But, this is actual REJECTION on a universe, not just apathy.  The movie isn't that bad, but folks just don't want to hear it - it will take something seriously good or different to win them back.  

2. Something needs to change over in the Star Wars group...somebody needs to actually have a plan for how they go forward.  Whether it's single, mid budget movies...or tight trilogy tentpoles that stick to a path...something needs to change.  Domestic rejection, when there already is outright WW rejection, can't stand.  I mean if you think this weekend result is bad...lord...it's nothing when Disney is now also stuck with acres of unsellable merchandise everywhere.  I mean, with this kinda rejection, who is buying all the shirts, lunchboxes, books, toys, etc...

We also know that this movie probably is gone from at least 1/2 its theaters by Jurassic World...an opening this low with other movies aimed at the same fan base isn't gonna keep it around when 3-4 screens are being taken for I2 and JW (and heldover for O8, DP2, and AIW - which is probably the big winner here, b/c it might outlast Solo - make fun of me now, but how many movies did BP2 outlast:)...

All of this exactly. 

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The entire Disney schedule is outrageous next year, no real place to movie it

Move it to 2020 or 2021 if needed.

I never expected Mulan to meet that original November 2018 release date and I’ll be surprised if Aladdin or even perhaps Lion King meet summer 2019.

Disney just really needs to get as far away from Memorial Day as possible.

Aladdin is special and part of the ‘big 4’ Disney Renaissance movies with the potential to be huge! But Disney could really mess it up if it forges ahead with Memorial Day 2019.

Edited by NYer4Life
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I remember reading on article on Homecoming from one of the trades. Sony was pitching a 300M budget and Feige shut that shit down real quick

I would imagine that being possible, Sony never went below 300m in the pass on a Spider Man movie budget.

Now they could bring everything way down and still make more at the Box office (a bit sad for an audience point of view too).

1 minute ago, Nova said:

That's not a hot take. It's not going to happen. 

Just like Solo and JL under $300M? Or IT over $300M? Jumanji bigger than almost every other movie in 2017?

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Just like Solo and JL under $300M? Or IT over $300M? Jumanji bigger than almost every other movie in 2017?

I meant it's not a hot take because Aladdin isn't going over $300M. I worded it badly 

24 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I remember reading on article on Homecoming from one of the trades. Sony was pitching a 300M budget and Feige shut that shit down real quick, explained that he likes to control costs on the first two flicks and then open the manpurse on the third. That way you aren't shooting yourself in both feet before the movie even opens

Wasn't it Perlmutter who wanted $275M budget and Pascal and Feige both pushed back?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-homecoming-how-sony-learned-cede-control-marvel-1015408

Edited by Clayman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

a Star Wars movie bombs and you expect no one to talk about it. LOl

You've got 4 or 5 people accounting for most of the last few pages. Knock yourselves out.