CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

27 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

It is the dumbest movie I have ever seen, period and that includes F&F and Transformer movies. Some of the decisions that characters take at different times in this movie is mind numbing and beggars belief. Those who have seen this movie probably know what I am talking about. Having said this, the opening 10 minutes are tremendous and there's one other moment in this movie which is very sad. It's going to move you a bit. Overall , I'll blame the writers more than anything else. 

Yep. Why the writing is so deliberately stupid is beyond me. It’s like it has contempt for how relatively seriously Spielberg’s films took the concept. 

In turn all this does is sap all the suspense out of your thrill ride - hence it being more Tea Cups than Space Mountain. 

All the 100M+ openers this year trended on twitter on their preview night; deadpool 2, black panther, incredibles 2, and infinity war.(which showed good WOM for each) Jurassic world hasn't trended on twitter at all. It will be the first 100M+ to not trend on preview night.

Im not including solo because it didnt make 100M in its 3 day weekend.

Edited by YLF

29 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Everyone I talked to tonight really loved it

Nice to hear something from the real world of the cinema audience as opposed to the TROLLS and WRONG-UNS on this forum who HATE JURASSIC PARK 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Another mega franchise crumbles and implodes. Meanwhile Marvel breaks records left and right.

3 out of 5 JP movies broke the OW record compared to 2 (TA & IW? Correct me if I'm wrong but the point still stands) out of 2 dozen for MCU - without any 'extended cinematic universes'.

FK was expected to drop significantly from JW and is still going to make more $$$ than what JW was expected to make before release. It's not an event movie like JW was because it's not the first JP movie in 14 years. All this doom and gloom talk is borderline ridiculous - this is not Solo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Nice to hear something from the real world of the cinema audience as opposed to the TROLLS and WRONG-UNS on this forum who HATE JURASSIC PARK 

Lol there’s some truth to that. Sometimes I get so caught up in what the loud, vocal, internet minority thinks that I lose track of what the GA actually thinks, not what the internet says they think.

Thats why going to work can be really refreshing. Also, big blockbusters like this are fun in real life with irl fans, not the catalysts for dumb fanboy fights

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Lol there’s some truth to that. Sometimes I get so caught up in what the loud, vocal, internet minority thinks that I lose track of what the GA actually thinks, not what the internet says they think.

Thats why going to work can be really refreshing. Also, big blockbusters like this are fun in real life with irl fans, not the catalysts for dumb fanboy fights

But the real world thinks this is shit too

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Another mega franchise crumbles and implodes. Meanwhile Marvel breaks records left and right.

Crazy to think that just one year ago, nobody liked Thor, 400 was seen as the max a solo MCU could do DOM, Thanos was a purple thumb joke — and JL, TLJ, Solo, and FK all hadn’t happened yet.    

Who knows what what the next year will bring.

13 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

FK was expected to drop significantly from JW and is still going to make more $$$ than what JW was expected to make before release. 

Correct. One look in this thread shows everyones predictions for JW:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Crazy to think that just one year ago, nobody liked Thor, 400 was seen as the max a solo MCU could do DOM, Thanos was a purple thumb joke — and JL, TLJ, Solo, and FK all hadn’t happened yet.    

Who knows what what the next year will bring.

PIkachu Detective World Domination.

19 minutes ago, DAJK said:

This is so true. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The best comps at 12-13m previews are probably Wonder Woman and GotG1. Proper summer releases and both had previews a little lower at 11m. But they weren't direct sequels, although they were CBMs. So it probably balances out nicely to be a good comp to FK. They opened in  the 94-103m range. 

LOL

So that movies had worst previews, are CBM which screams frontload... But FK will develop worse IM despite it had better previews AND the franchise is known for being walkup friendly.

Keep dreaming

After the underwhelming tracking and presales, 12-13M for previews is kind of helthy, IMHO. It already shows there's some kind of walkup business there.

• Thanks 1

Not gonna lie, I find myself in the same situation with FK as I did with TLJ. Objectively speaking, both films will make a ton of money for their respective studios. Relatively speaking, TLJ had a bigger drop than expected, and FK seems to be heading in that direction as well (we'll know soon after this weekend). It's a shame, because I loved FK and would like to see it do better at the BO. JW3 will have to step up in its audience reception to not fall below $1B WW (and for my future club to happen). :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, stripe said:

After the underwhelming tracking and presales, 12-13M for previews is kind of helthy, IMHO. It already shows there's some kind of walkup business there.

IT had $13.5m for previews, which is pretty much where I pegged FK for based on my theater’s presales. Doesn’t seem to be behaving stronger than its presales and tracking have been showing, just seems to be behaving as expected really. Just saying I wouldn’t take $12-13m as a sign for strong walk up business. 

• Like 1