sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/box-office-jurassic-world-incredibles-sicario-uncle-1202862013/

‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Roaring for $59 Million Weekend

The dinosaurs are still stomping all over domestic moviegoing as the second frame of “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” heads for a $59 million weekend, early estimates showed Friday.

Sony’s opening of “Sicario: Day of the Soldado” is heading for a solid $20 million at 3,055 North American locations. Lionsgate’s basketball comedy “Uncle Drew” will score about $16 million at 2,842 sites. And Disney’s third weekend of “Incredibles 2” will continue to dazzle with about $40 million — a 50% decline, which will give the blockbuster a stunning $435 million by the end of the weekend.

Universal’s sophomore session of “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” is pegged to decline about 60% from its opening weekend of $148 million, which was the 20th-best of all time. The Chris Pratt-led tentpole has pocketed $204.8 million in its first seven days domestically and about $809 million worldwide. Only 25 films have topped the $60 million domestic mark in their second weekends.

Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro return in the action-drama “Sicario: Day of the Soldado,” a sequel to 2015’s “Sicario.” Friday’s early estimates showed a first-day take of $7 million, placing the violence-laden film well above box office forecasts between $10 million and $13 million. That’s a signal that “Day of the Soldado” may outperform the original film, which debuted with $12 million and finished with $47 million domestically.

Stefano Sollima took over directing duties from Denis Villeneuve while Taylor Sheridan returned to pen the script. “Day of the Soldado” sees Del Toro and Brolin reprising their roles as a former undercover operative and CIA agent, respectively. The film is averaging a 64% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The original movie, which also starred Emily Blunt, earned an impressive 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and went on to score three Oscar nominations.

Uncle Drew” had also pegged to launch with $10 million to $13 million at 2,742 sites. NBA player Kyrie Irving leads the Pepsi commercial-turned-feature-film about a down-on-his-luck basketball coach (Lil Rel Howery), who enlists basketball legend Uncle Drew to recruit a group of septuagenarian former ballers to play in Harlem’s Rucker Classic street ball tournament.

The sports comedy features a mash-up of athletes and comedians, including Shaquille O’Neal, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller, Nate Robinson, Lisa Leslie, Erica Ash, Tiffany Haddish, and Nick Kroll. “Uncle Drew” was directed by Charles Stone III and written by Jay Longino.

After a sluggish 2017, “Incredibles 2,” “Ocean’s 8,” and “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” have bolstered the summer box office by 16% to $2.09 billion through June 27, according to ComScore. For the year, overall moviegoing is up 8.7% to $6.04 billion.

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:
1 9 Avengers: Infinity War Buena Vista 890 -566 -38.9% - - - - 10

IW's theater count looked suspicious to me, why they drop so much? Are they preparing for the big rebound when AntMan 2 release next week? 

Its fairly normal. Of all MCU movies released in May only the first Avenger had higher TC at 10th week at 1125. All thie others were way below 900 where IW is at

Guardians 2 - 660

Age of Ultron - 589

Iron Man 3 - 294

Civil War - 238

• Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-uncle-drew-sicario-day-saldado-scoring-more-points-expected-1124263

Weekend Box Office: 'Sicario 2,' 'Uncle Drew' Scoring More Points Than Expected

The pair of films don't stand a chance of toppling 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' or 'Incredibles 2.'

A pair of smaller films — the intense U.S.-Mexico border drama Sicario: Day of the Soldado and basketball comedy Uncle Drew — are scoring more points than expected at the North American box office, even though they don't stand a chance of stealing the crown from holdovers Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Incredibles 2, according to Friday returns.

Sicario 2, from Sony and Black Label Media, is on course to earn around $7.5 million on Friday from 3,055 theaters for a debut in the $17 million-$20 million range. Friday's gross will include $2 million in Thursday previews.

Lionsgate and Summit's Uncle Drew looks to score $7 million on Friday from 2,742 locations for a $16 million-$20 million weekend, including $1.1 million in previews.

Heading into the weekend, tracking suggested the two films would open in the $10 million-$13 million range.

Universal's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom will easily stay atop the chart in its sophomore outing with as much as $60 million, putting the film's domestic total north of $260 million through Sunday.

Now in its third weekend, Incredibles 2 could earn anywhere from $39 million to $44 million for a domestic cume of $428 million or more through Sunday. Sometime over the weekend, the Disney and Pixar film will pass up Toy Story 3 ($415 million) to rank as the No. 2 Pixar title of all time domestically behind Finding Dory ($486.3 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Neither Sicario 2 nor Uncle Drew have aspirations to be all-audience summer blockbusters. Rather, they hope to serve as counterprogramming to the glut of broad-appeal fare in summer multiplexes.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado is a follow-up to the critically acclaimed U.S.-Mexico border drama Sicario, directed by Denis Villeneuve and released by Lionsgate in the fall of 2015. This time out, Stefano Sollima sat in the director's chair. Benicio Del Toro and Josh Brolin once again star, sans Emily Blunt.

The timely storyline follows a federal border agent (Brolin) who enlists Del Toro's character in a battle to stop the Mexican drug cartels from trafficking terrorists across the border into the U.S.

Critics like the sequel far less than the first film. Sicario 2 currently has a 64 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, compared to 93 percent for Sicario.

Uncle Drew, from Lionsgate/Summit, stars Lil Rel Howery as a thirtysomething man who, with the help of the titular character (Kyrie Irving), assembles a team of older basketball players in hopes of winning a street ball tournament in Brooklyn. The movie boasts an impressive roster of real-life basketball greats, including Irving, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Lisa Leslie and Reggie Miller. Tiffany Haddish and Nick Kroll also star.

Comedies are under siege at the box office, and it remains to be seen whether Uncle Drew can score a win over the course of time. Directed by Charles Stone III, the pic was adapted from a digital series created by Pepsi.

44 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's too bad that sicario 2 ends on such a down weird note because the rest of the film was pretty damn fantastic. But the last two minutes of that film, WTF.

i hope it does well enough to justify a third because i know they've been saying recently it's a trilogy* and overall really dug it but must admit it gave me blue balls.

*btw taylor sheridan saying he always planned it as a trilogy is as much BS as the wachowski's saying they always planned the matrix as three films.

• Like 1

I like how everyone outside of TOG has ignored what Uncle Drew is doing on RT. This forum always undervalues low-scale minority focused films, I'm sure most here weren't expecting Uncle Drew to reach 25% on RT, let alone inch close to 70%. Drew's average rating is also only 0.1 lower than Oceans 8, and higher than Tag, Jurassic World, and Book Club.

Drew was never going to be a critical tidal wave, but it wasn't aiming to be. It was aiming to be a light hearted crowd pleaser. Would like to see a surprise out of this weekend.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I like how everyone outside of TOG has ignored what Uncle Drew is doing on RT. This forum always undervalues low-scale minority focused films, I'm sure most here weren't expecting Uncle Drew to reach 25% on RT, let alone inch close to 70%. Drew's average rating is also only 0.1 lower than Oceans 8, and higher than Tag, Jurassic World, and Book Club.

Drew was never going to be a critical tidal wave, but it wasn't aiming to be. It was aiming to be a light hearted crowd pleaser. Would like to see a surprise out of this weekend.

I mean, it was in the 50s like a day or two ago. It only just jumped up that high

• Thanks 1

After seeing it I'm all the more convinced Sheridan only wrote the second one for a paycheck. I know they announced it before Sicario was even commercially released so he still wasn't quite established and he probably figured this is weird but sure whatever I got a family to feed. I mean the movie is hackwork. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

After seeing it I'm all the more convinced Sheridan only wrote the second one for a paycheck. I know they announced it before Sicario was even commercially released so he still wasn't quite established and he probably figured this is weird but sure whatever I got a family to feed. I mean the movie is hackwork. 

honestly i've kinda been calling he wasn't as strong as the hype around him. the first sicario is still the best film of his scripts and villeneuve apparently stripped much of his pseudo-profound macho dialogue from it (another thing sheridan has in common with the pizzaman tbh) 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The movie is very different from his script, they pretty much butchered it, even though perfomances and direction were strong. I don't think what he wrote was a paycheck job, but whoever ruined his script did a hackwork.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

The movie is very different from his script, they pretty much butchered it, even though perfomances and direction were strong. I don't think what he wrote was a paycheck job, but whoever ruined his script did a hackwork.

lol i guess you can blame Del Toro who apparently came up with lots of stuff on the fly.