sfran43

Weekend Thread: DHD Friday #'s (p.14) ~ The Megalogross 17M, Slenderman 4-5M, BlacKkKlansman 3.8-4M

When I first watched The Meg's trailer online, I thought it looked pretty dumb. Then I kept getting it in theaters, and my hype started increasing. I'm really looking forward to seeing it hopefully sometime in the next week.

• Like 2

LD Entertainment has the Ken Marino-directed PG rated comedy Dog Days about a group of Angelinos whose lives intertwine due to their dogs. It opened Wednesday making $635K with another $405K yesterday for a two-day take of $1M at 2,255 theaters. Pic earned an A- CinemaScore and drew 58% females, 42% males, with 62% over 25. Of those moviegoers who turned up, 54% said they went because it’s a movie about dogs.

YIKES, that's a huge drop for Dog Days yesterday.

• Like 1

Warner Bros.’ big shark movie The Meg starring Jason Statham swallowed a surprising $4M last night at showtimes that started 7PM. That’s a figure on par with the Thursday nights of 2015’s Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation which went on to do $55.5M, and Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island which boomed a $3.7M preview, before overindexing to $61M.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Sorry I changed my derby predict from 2.5 to 3 and I should have held with my 36 for MEG instead of dropping to 32.  Playing too conservative again...

Same; I had it at 2.5 but bumped it to 2.8 or 2.9

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Meg (12/37) (4 backup)

bcf26: 130M

Baumer: 115M

The Panda: 108M

JJ-8: 96.8M

aabattery: 86.9M

kayumanggi: 85M

*Telemachos: 80M

Wrath: 78M

*Fancyarcher: 77M

ZeeSoh: 75M

*24Lost: 73M

Infernus: 70M

Deja23: 65M

*Tree: 65M

captainwondyful: 50M

Slambros (worst score minus 10k)

You beat me to it.

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

Warner Bros.’ big shark movie The Meg starring Jason Statham swallowed a surprising $4M last night at showtimes that started 7PM. That’s a figure on par with the Thursday nights of 2015’s Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation which went on to do $55.5M, and Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island which boomed a $3.7M preview, before overindexing to $61M.

Not great comps - one is much older skewing and the other wasn't a summer release

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Hell, they could lead for an entire month between the trifecta of The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians (which I'm beginning to think will threepeat at this point given how little is coming out and everything looking up for it), and The Nun.

Considering they’ve had a relatively quiet summer, they’ve come back with a vegeance for August and September. 

Just now, Jonwo said:

Considering they’ve had a relatively quiet summer, they’ve come back with a vegeance for August and September. 

The remainder of the year for them looks really good overall. After these three their remaining releases are Smallfoot, A Star is Born, Fantastic Beasts, and Aquaman. Looks like they made the right choice banishing Mowgli to Netflix lol.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Damn I only put like 25.5 or something for Survivor. Well fuck me

@YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Empire @Rorschach @Slambros @WrathOfHan @baumer @captainwondyful @Claire of Themyscira @anybody else I might be missing from survivor how high did you guys go?

I put $22M for The Meg, and $8M for Slenderman.

:bash:

(I'm happy that these films are able to do well, though.)

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Not great comps - one is much older skewing and the other wasn't a summer release

There's not a lot to compare it to.  

I posted a few others.  Oceans 8, Ready Player One and Quiet Place all did around the same for previews.  There is no perfect comp.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slambros said:

I put $22M for The Meg, and $8M for Slenderman.

:bash:

We're going to cream you guys with the MEG predictions.  But it's the rest of the films that will determine if you guys are going back to Tribal.  :)  

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The remainder of the year for them looks really good overall. After these three their remaining releases are Smallfoot, A Star is Born, Fantastic Beasts, and Aquaman. Looks like they made the right choice banishing Mowgli to Netflix lol.

If I'm not mistaken, they didn't release a single 100M+ budgeted movie all summer. Even The Meg is a Chinese co-produced movie where their investment is probably less than 75M.

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I was told the expect THE MEG TO TOP POLITICALLY CORRECT STAR WARS SPONSORED BY DISNEY AND KATHLEEN KENNEDY...so by that standard, bad numbers here. 

Well... in China the OD was bigger than the entire run of TLJ and Solo I think :thinking: China rejects political correct Star Wars

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1