MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

Free Guy needs at least 300m, if not 350+. Right now it’s 113m. 

F9 is the highest grossing WW American film with 696m and that was pre-Delta. 

Venom 1 made 856m WW with 100m budget. The budget for 2 is presumably more. They’re not going to be happy with a 400-500m take. Sony needs this franchise to thrive so they’re probably concerned, maybe believe the post Spider-Man bump will help and Delta won’t be as brutal in January.

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I think people who REALLY want to see SHANG CHI (the Marvel fans) will do it first weekend. i don't see good legs for Shang Chi even with an empty schedule. The general population is too scared to go to the movies

You seem to post quite a lot of questionable takes.

• Like 9
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

I think people who REALLY want to see SHANG CHI (the Marvel fans) will do it first weekend. i don't see good legs for Shang Chi even with an empty schedule. The general population is too scared to go to the movies

Free Guys legs don't seem to indicate that. The legs we've seen on other films mostly involve day and date options of some kind. There's enough releases now to confidently say that day and date does have some at minimum level of impact on theatrical take and legs.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 5

French reaction :

Very interesting #ShangChi! Excellent fight scenes , gripping family story, well-managed, well-paced humor and a good result.

A movie that might surprise, being quite different from previous 

- There are some good feelings, scriptwriting facilities and a lot of CGI, but what a pleasure! As for the surprises and cameos, they are incredible!

-  Fighting, fantasy, humor, sequences sometimes too long, a deluge of CGI, choreographed fights, new faces ... but mostly a lot of sincerity.
Not the best origin story of #Marvel, far from being the worst.

- I was pleasantly surprised by #ShangChi. An origin story that holds the road. The choreography is okay and some VFX are ugly but overall it's not bad at all. And then there is especially FUCKIN TONY LEUNG 

- #Shangchi good surprise, top fight choreography, nice balance between the MCU tone and the Asian sensibility, well paced and even the "CGI heavy" finale is more digestible than usual. MVP : Tony Leung, the discovery Meng'er Zhang, Bill Pope and D.Creton

- Finally a little originality! It's been a long time since I had a good time in front of a Marvel Well, it's not without its flaws but it's really the best of the best

- We saw #ShangChi. And what a nice surprise. Hard-hitting fights, amazing fantasy, spectacular action sequences and a storyline that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Shang-Chi succeeds on all levels Finally a little originality! It's been a long time since I had a good time in front of a Marvel

7 minutes ago, iamjesuisiam said:

French reaction :

Very interesting #ShangChi! Excellent fight scenes , gripping family story, well-managed, well-paced humor and a good result.

- There are some good feelings, scriptwriting facilities and a lot of CGI, but what a pleasure! As for the surprises and cameos, they are incredible!

-  Fighting, fantasy, humor, sequences sometimes too long, a deluge of CGI, choreographed fights, new faces ... but mostly a lot of sincerity.

- I was pleasantly surprised by #ShangChi. An origin story that holds the road. The choreography is okay and some VFX are ugly but overall it's not bad at all. And then there is especially FUCKIN TONY LEUNG 

- #Shangchi good surprise, top fight choreography, nice balance between the MCU tone and the Asian sensibility, well paced and even the "CGI heavy" finale is more digestible than usual. MVP : Tony Leung, the discovery Meng'er Zhang, Bill Pope and D.Creton

- Finally a little originality! It's been a long time since I had a good time in front of a Marvel Well, it's not without its flaws but it's really the best of the best

- We saw #ShangChi. And what a nice surprise. Hard-hitting fights, amazing fantasy, spectacular action sequences and a storyline that keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. Shang-Chi succeeds on all levels Finally a little originality! It's been a long time since I had a good time in front of a Marvel

So good reviews , nice. 

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

https://www.disney.com.au/movies/shang-chi-and-the-legend-of-the-ten-rings

Shang Chi is being moved to September 16 in NSW, VIC and ACT with the two biggest states currently in hard lockdown. 

Hopefully they allow fully vaccinated people to go to the movies. I have already missed out on Suicide Sưuad in cinema :(.

7 hours ago, iamjesuisiam said:

French reaction :

I'm glad that people love Tony Leung's performance, he's a force of an actor, but I wonder why does it feel like Tony is the main star?   I've noticed that most critics praise Tony only. Isn't Simu supposed to be the heart of the film? 

6 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

So good reviews , nice. 

You know, sounds nice, but let's be objective, here.  There's absolutely no sourcing on the poster's quotes, and anywhere they're picked from could simply be cherry-picking all the good ones.  Yes, the movie seems reviewed well overall in English-language media...I'm just asking for clearer/verified sample-statistics!!  

Edited by Macleod

1 minute ago, Arian1010 said:

I'm glad that people love Tony Leung's performance, he's a force of an actor, but I wonder why does it feel like Tony is the main star?   I've noticed that most critics praise Tony only. Isn't Simu supposed to be the heart of the film? 

Most critics have prasied Tony, Simu and Awkwafina. They were the most praised in the initial reviews people were assuming Tony was a wasted villian because alot of people didn't seem to mention him until more reviews came

1 minute ago, Arian1010 said:

...Because he's a hard guy to compete with in terms of magnetism on screen?  Especially for a young up-and-comer.  Variety's review I think worded it well, they said Leung really pulls Liu along for the ride and legitimizes the whole thing fully, but that it doesn't feel one-sided.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arian1010 said:

As for Black Panther. 

Michale B Jordan, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong'o were praised. Chadwick Boseman, much less.

The film itself did not highlight Chadwick . Ryan Coogler was more interested in the actors mentioned earlier. 

For many, the real hero of the film was Killmonger.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arian1010 said:

Having seen the movie, Simu is...alright. Like with Black Panther, Shang-Chi as a character is kind of a blank slate, but he's surrounded by a very memorable supporting cast full of great actors playing meatier roles that he can bounce off on and and intereact with. The difference however is that Chadwick had a more...magnetic screen presence and a stronger overall performance, though part of it is because Chadwick was a more seasoned and experienced actor than Simu. He's not bad however and I'm sure he'll get better in the role as time goes on.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Macleod said:

...Because he's a hard guy to compete with in terms of magnetism on screen?  Especially for a young up-and-comer.  Variety's review I think worded it well, they said Leung really pulls Liu along for the ride and legitimizes the whole thing fully, but that it doesn't feel one-sided.  

Tony Leung looks so charismatic in trailers alone. I am excited to how his role is written. 

• Like 1