Eric Quinn

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

14 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

to think he'll grow up to become casey affleck.

Nolan casting Affleck as a dude who had zero aspirations to be anything but a farmer, refusing to move out to the detriment of his own family's health (to which Chastain mentions "Dad didn't raise you like this to be  this dumb"), and being forgotten by Coop some 70 years later seemed like a dunking of sorts for Casey that was ahead of the curve. At least I'm pretending it was.

Edited by MrPink

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a Christopher Nolan changed its release date? 

Does releasing Interstellar approximately two days early in 35mm, 70mm, and IMAX count?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'd be worried if I was WB. July seems far away but it's going to be a long time before people feel safe going back into cinemas. Fairly certain this will move down the line.

I doubt it. Most people will be itching to go outside in a month's time. In 2-3 months, it's gonna be worse. Doubt Tenet stays where it is though.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I doubt it. Most people will be itching to go outside in a month's time. In 2-3 months, it's gonna be worse. Doubt Tenet stays where it is though.

Yes, because lots of people won't want to go back into a cinema that soon.

57 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Exactly. Sure, intellectually, people will know that it's dangerous to go back outside, but most people do what their gut tells them and not their brain.

And right now, a whole lot of people really really want to go out to things. For God's sake, the President of the US keeps hinting that he'll remove the national quarantine and his approval numbers have only risen.

A dangerously stupid idea? Of course. But to say it's not resonating with people is sheer foolishness.  

• Like 1

Everything depends on how hard a country or a region is hit. People in Wuhan , Lombardy and even New York are going to shy away from crowded places for months to come. Cold, dark and crowded movie theaters are the last place you want to be during and after an epidemic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Exactly. Sure, intellectually, people will know that it's dangerous to go back outside, but most people do what their gut tells them and not their brain.

The US is on course to be epicenter of the virus in the developed world. Both peoples' guts and brains will be in agreement when it comes to summer cinema visits. If people accept WB might move the release date it follows they already accept this is true.

Edited by Hatebox

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

Does releasing Interstellar approximately two days early in 35mm, 70mm, and IMAX count?

Is the queue outside the theatre keeping the appropriate distance?  Social isolating saves lives. 

On 3/27/2020 at 10:35 AM, lorddemaxus said:

People will be itching to go outside but will they be rushing to go to crowded movie theaters that soon ? And besides health reasons, millions of people will have been out of work for 1-2 months so economically they might not choose to spend their money on such luxuries.

I definitely think theaters will be open in July in most places but it’s too optimistic to think movie-going will have high attendance that fast.

6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

People will be itching to go outside but will they be rushing to go to crowded movie theaters that soon ? And besides health reasons, millions of people will have been out of work for 1-2 months so economically they might not choose to spend their money on such luxuries.

I definitely think theaters will be open in July in most places but it’s too optimistic to think movie-going will have high attendance that fast.

Millions were out of jobs in the 2008 financial crisis, there was no notable impact on the boxoffice. Consumer spending was still pretty low too when Avatar came out (again, because of the crisis). The movie ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.

Also I think if people are rushing to go to beaches and stuff, I can see them rush to the cinemas too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I could Dune being pushed if a whole of competition gets pushed to December 

well, that settles it. Scott has spoken and if he thinks Dune is gonna bomb than it's gonna bomb. Scott is never wrong. Right? Right?

Bad joking aside, I get where he's coming from. WB would want to have at least 1 sure thing this year and Dune could go either way. I think it'll do great whenever it's released but I understand why WB would think that WW84 and/or Tenet are safer bets.

I am sure Wondy 2 and Tenet would be the Nov/Dec release. Question is which movie will release on what date depends on the studio. There is no way a huge budgeted movie will open in July(or summer). But once the curve is eased we could start to see small/medium movies release but BO will be mediocre for a while. 

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure Wondy 2 and Tenet would be the Nov/Dec release. Question is which movie will release on what date depends on the studio. There is no way a huge budgeted movie will open in July(or summer). But once the curve is eased we could start to see small/medium movies release but BO will be mediocre for a while. 

Honestly, I'd say Nov would be a more risky spot than late July or August.