MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

I actually really liked the first Aquaman, more than anyone I know in fact, so it would be a real shame if the sequel was much inferior because I wanna have fun with it again.

I don’t actually care much if this particular movie does well or not at the box office since absolutely nothing hinges on it doing well. There’ll never be a third movie, there will never be a new DCU movie with this Aquaman, so there are no real stakes for me as a viewer when it comes to its BO numbers, I just want a good sequel to an enjoyable movie.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I actually really liked the first Aquaman, more than anyone I know in fact, so it would be a real shame if the sequel was much inferior because I wanna have fun with it again.

I don’t actually care much if this particular movie does well or not at the box office since absolutely nothing hinges on it doing well. There’ll never be a third movie, there will never be a new DCU movie with this Aquaman, so there are no real stakes for me as a viewer when it comes to its BO numbers, I just want a good sequel to an enjoyable movie.

Same

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Yeah the first Aquaman rules. James Wan is a great director and he really let himself go ham with it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Who believes this is actually coming out this year? Because I’m convinced another delay is coming. 

If this moves then there goes the big tentpole for Christmas this year since I doubt Wonka is big enough to excite distributors unless The Marvels moves back (which seems unlikely considering how set it seems to be for November 10). It's really strange how WB is the one with arguably the three most high-profile live-action titles set for December this year (this, Wonka, Color Purple) with everything else either being too small/niche or unlikely to make it to this year (Ghostbusters). Studios were foolish for really overcrowding this summer in retrospect IMO.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If this moves then there goes the big tentpole for Christmas this year since I doubt Wonka is big enough to excite distributors unless The Marvels moves back (which seems unlikely considering how set it seems to be for November 10). It's really strange how WB is the one with arguably the three most high-profile live-action titles set for December this year (this, Wonka, Color Purple) with everything else either being too small/niche or unlikely to make it to this year (Ghostbusters). Studios were foolish for really overcrowding this summer in retrospect IMO.

I get the sense WB is really high on Wonka and TCP but not so much on Aquaman. 

Universal has Migration coming out which looks cute but is the first original Illumination film in years. 

4 hours ago, babz06 said:

Who believes this is actually coming out this year? Because I’m convinced another delay is coming. 

It’s already the New Mutants of the DCEU. It’s a film set in an universe that doesn’t really exist anymore, or at least that’s what I understood from James Gunn’s interviews. At this point, not releasing by the end of the year will do them more harm than good.

18 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’s already the New Mutants of the DCEU. It’s a film set in an universe that doesn’t really exist anymore, or at least that’s what I understood from James Gunn’s interviews. At this point, not releasing by the end of the year will do them more harm than good.

Which interview was this? I thought he said the Flash rebooted the DCU implying that everything from that point is part of the universe. I'm not saying I necessarily believe it but that does seem to be the messaging.

Edited by poweranimals

18 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think Blue Beetles about to do New Mutants numbers. This should do better than that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Which interview was this? I thought he said the Flash rebooted the DCU implying that everything from that point is part of the universe. I'm not saying I necessarily believe it but that does seem to be the messaging.

The long interview he did with that actor that plays Lex Luthor, it’s on YouTube. My understanding is: the DCEU is over, the new DCU is different and not even Peacemaker or The Suicide Squad are canon. But some characters will come back. It’s not clear that Momoa’s Aquaman isn’t part of the DCU, but the way I see it if it isn’t on the DCU roadmap, and it isn’t, than it’s gone. Also, Gunn has confirmed that the Batman in the DCU isn’t George Clooney, and if he isn’t Clooney, it leads me to think Aquaman isn’t part of the DCU either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The long interview he did with that actor that plays Lex Luthor, it’s on YouTube. My understanding is: the DCEU is over, the new DCU is different and not even Peacemaker or The Suicide Squad are canon. But some characters will come back. It’s not clear that Momoa’s Aquaman isn’t part of the DCU, but the way I see it if it isn’t on the DCU roadmap, and it isn’t, than it’s gone. Also, Gunn has confirmed that the Batman in the DCU isn’t George Clooney, and if he isn’t Clooney, it leads me to think Aquaman isn’t part of the DCU either.

Yeah, I don't know. None of that really makes any sense to me. I get why he's being intentionally vague but it's really confusing and makes it harder to be excited about the future of the franchise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Yeah, I don't know. None of that really makes any sense to me. I get why he's being intentionally vague but it's really confusing and makes it harder to be excited about the future of the franchise.

I know, it gets more confusing when you follow him being very online on threads and twitter. He said that The Suicide Squad isn’t canon in the DCU when replying about the fact that the actor playing Guy Gardner had a role in The Suicide Squad as well.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Except it cost a hell of a lot more then New Mutants did. Warners will heavily market iY, which, of course Disney quite rightly did not do with New Mutants.

The New Mutants was a low budget film and expendable. Aquaman 2 is neither.

And New Mutants was not a sequel to a very sucessful film.

I think Gunn is going to be very vague about if this takes place in his DCU or not..at leastuntil after it opens.There is a reason why GUnn is sort of dancing around the question.

Edited by dudalb