Eric Prime

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Just now, cookieleeann said:

My theater is packed and the traffic here is on par with Infinity War's last year. Busiest is Been since that movie. My crowd seemed to love it, great reactions and had huge claps at the end.

same. it's nuts busy over here too. 

• Like 1

got 8 trailers in front of CM:

-Fast & Furious Hobbs & Shaw

-Long Shot

-Shazam

-Spiderman

-Rocketman

-Dark Phoenix

-Frozen 2

-Dumbo

Old Shazam trailer, but it was the new Dark Phoenix trailer.

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So on the high end this could reach, what, $180M+ for the weekend? Marvel still killing it.

High end: Classic Deadline lowball-> 26.5 previews-> big critic to DOM audience disconnect-> 7.85x IM-> top 4 OW     

I’d give that like 1%. More realistic is something like 23*7.4->170.

Edited by Thanos Legion

27 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Basic question but what trailers got the best reactions at your screening of Captain Marvel.

A summation of the girl sitting next to me reacting to all the trailers (I have no affiliation with this person):

MIB International - "Oooh, they're making another one?!"

Detective Pikachu - "This is going to be the best movie evah!"

Dark Phoenix - "They already did Dark Phoenix, why are they doing it again?!"

Lion King - "This is the most unnecessary movie ever but I'm so fucking hyped!"

Avengers - "Whatever! I don't care about Avengers!"

* One Captain Marvel later *

"I'm so fucking excited for Avengers now!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Disbelief 1

My guess is that the WOM on this movie is going to be pretty good. 

The crowd all seemed to enjoy it.

Without trying to rank it or compare it to other movies, this was typical Marvel good. They have an incredible track record at making good movies and this is yet another one.

But more importantly than that, while trying to steer clear of spoiler territory, I'd say that the movie just felt positive and uplifting in general. No one is going to walk out of Captain Marvel with a frown on their face. A very satisfying movie experience.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not surprised CM is blowing up, when the box office has been dead and you make a product audiences want they’ll flock. I can see US breaking out in the $60M-$70M range and Dumbo doing the same due to how weak the market is.

Basic question but what trailers got the best reactions at your screening of Captain Marvel.

Frozen 2 got massive response.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

$24M midnights! 😲

How does it compare to say....Black Panther, last year?

http://www.boxofficereport.com/previewgrosses.html

With a 7pm start instead of 6pm for CM BP did 25.2M for a $202.005M OW, Civil War did $25M (also 7PM) for a 179M start.

A $24M would be giant, because it could easily be less frontloaded than Civil War.

Edited by Barnack

5 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Frozen 2 got massive response.

Yeah, I’m confident it’ll do $600M DOM

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Detective Pikachu - "This is going to be the best movie evah!"

Good

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

(though I can totally see this being VERY frontloaded and do only 150Mish with 22M previews :ph34r:, let's hope I'm wrong)

Perfectly reasonable to worry about frontloading with this movie. The number of showtimes is just ridiculous. If anybody wants to go see it on opening day, they should be able to do it, no need to worry about sellouts.

That said, I think the movie will resonate positively with the general audience, so its longterm prospects and legs should be good.

The number of showings is crazy but also a couple of the theaters upgraded their largest auditoriums to reclining seats over the last year or so, which means fewer seats available and the regular seating theaters are smaller. I can why they would throw a bunch more screens to it.

• Like 1