Eric S'ennui

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

1 minute ago, Bonenash said:

yeah lowball sunday as usual but they don t take risk with the headlines

as BJ already said sunday is like friday right now ok the evening show are gonna do less but it s endgame so who knows lol.

first prediction for monday 35m (conservative)

Even with the assumption that the Sunday number will go up with actuals, I'm not so sure on $35M anymore. That was also my prediction but that was off a $93M Sunday or so.

We'll see. It should say about $30M though.

15 minutes ago, 1Robert1 said:

Ryan Reynolds, Ben Afleck and many others appeared in Marvel movies and DC movies so The Rock can play someone more significant than Black Adam.

Dwayne Johnson has wanted to play Black Adam for a long time so I think he won't do a Marvel movie for a while.

The rivalry is a bit silly anyway, we've seen plenty of actors and in the case of James Gunn, director do films for both companies. Bradley Cooper is even producing Joker with Todd Phillips. 

1 minute ago, Nova said:

This will make more than $3B WW. Absolute insanity. 

tumblr_nywrj9oyAh1qdug0jo1_400.gif

it's going to do well.

I'm quite happy to make bets with people now that it will not reach Avatar.

• Knock It Off 1

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Official tracking i actually think isnt out for those movies yet. If youre reffering to BO.com, those numbers are also guesses and not industry numbers. And because im think that Godzilla will overpeform i see it a lot higher than Phoenix.

I don't want to wander off topic too far, but my data came from an article I read on cinemablend that had Godzilla tracking at 40-60M. Not sure what the source of that is. I think it is a realistic number, though. The last Godzilla movie had a 93M OW but absolutely terrible legs. It was not a film that the NA audience embraced. I really can't see how another entry in this franchise would have more hype off the back of a poor film.

Movies in the same genre have been doing worse more recently, too. Pacific Rim vs Pacific Rim Uprising. The OW number dropped 9M / 25% and the total gross dropped 40M / 40%. Kong:SI opened to 61M and finished at 168M.

If the new Godzilla is a well done film I think 50-60M OW and a total gross around the last Godzilla is possible. I think that's the high end for it, though, and not appreciably better than Dark Phoenix will do.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

tumblr_nywrj9oyAh1qdug0jo1_400.gif

it's going to do well.

I'm quite happy to make bets with people now that it will not reach Avatar.

I agree it will not reach Avatar...it will surpass it. 

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Sunday may not be that low.

IW sunday drop would give Endgame 91M sunday. but endgame already has a 8% worse fri-sat drop compared to infinity war, being more frontloaded.

That's because of supply not demand

Friday was was already near capacity because of filled up early shows (unusual for a work/school day) - there wasn't room for a 20-25% jump on Saturday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Update

Now that we have total through Friday we can tighten our numbers a bit

Total through Friday - 643.7m

Expected China addition through Sunday - 112.75

Expected Dom addition through Sunday - 184 (This number is based on assumption of 340m Domestic. Most people are expecting more but I will stay conservative for now)

Expected total through Sunday (minus OS-China Sat/Sun) - 939.75

Now comes the difficult task of predicting OS Sat and Sun. In my previous post for OS FSS I used IW drops to calculate. Thus they were projections rather than predictions. Today I will use IW drops as reference but predict the drops

OS-China Sat - 148.75 (+25%) (Infinity War jumped 31.7% on the same day but I am using a lower jump because Endgame's Friday Jump of 34% was lower than Infinity War's Friday jump 52%)

OS-China Sun - 119 (-20%) (again giving a bigger drop than Infinity War which dropped just 16%)

Total worldwide through Sun - 1207.5

17 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Off by just 0.1% 😂

I know the numbera gonna increase with actuals but i’m gonna run with this for now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Astonished 3

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, when it comes to extreme totals, I have a faulty theory but it seems that it works so I'll repeat it. Titanic was the first movie to cross 1B (it actually came closer to 2B but I'll focus on 1B milestone). it took 6 years for another movie (ROTK) to pass the mark and from that moment onward, 1B grossers became more frequent (DMC did it 2.5 years after ROTK, TDK 2 years after DMC). then Avatar came and made over 2B (closer to 3B but, again, 2B milestone matters here). so thanks to 3D, number of 1B grossers increased so much we started to get several per year not just 1 in 2 years. But then, 6 years after Avatar, TFA made 2B and then 2.5 years after TFA, IW made 2B. see what I mean? same pattern. and now we won't have to wait 2 years for another movie to cross the mark, EG will do it and I fully expect it to cross 3B too. and who knows what TLK and Forzen 2 could do. Point is, markets grew enough to make those numbers possible for movies that are true events. and studios are now releasing more true events than before. 

I agree with you, but it took 10 years after Avatar before EG will made over 2.75 even if it will be more frequent in the future i wouldn't be suprised if it will take another 5-7 years before we will see another movie that will made over 2.75 bln or 3 bln. TLk ? Frozen 2? Does people in China care about this movies?