Eric Loves Rey

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

35 minutes ago, excel1 said:

No clue what happened to him, but he's a marvel die hard, I remember him from HULK 2003 flopping...I hope he is enjoying his shining moment 

I was on the old forum for that. He took a drubbing over Ang Lee's Hulk. Hard to believe that was 16 years ago!! I feel old.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Birdo Mandingo said:

I really enjoyed that link to be honest.

My favorite part was seeing people already in 2007 saying "comic book fatigue" was going to hurt Iron Man.

Most of those people predicting seemed clueless. I was not into CBM back then, but enjoyed them well enough and I remember hearing talk about IM 6+ months out.

I made that thread/box office call after the 2007 comic-con trailer leaked in July, 2007. Transformers had just exploded (as I had predicted); popcorn robot action was super hot. The leaked IRON MAN trailer was just a blend of RDJ being hilarious and Iron Man suiting up...the final shot was him chasing w/ the jets and breaking the sound barrier.

One of the easiest calls ever, so obvious people would eat it up. Had no idea what it would eventually become, though.

37 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Any chance we get 4 weeks in a row with 3 CBMs in the top 10? 2nd Down and 3rd locked. 4th weekend may be possible.

Think Hellboy kills it. But if CM or Shazam can bridge through to Dark Phoenix, we will have about 20 weeks in a row where 2 movies from Mojo’s Comic Book Adaptation category are in the top 15 — starting with CM’s release and running until Endgame falls out in July.  

Edit: corrected below

Edited by Thanos Legion

10 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

I was on the old forum for that. He took a drubbing over Ang Lee's Hulk. Hard to believe that was 16 years ago!! I feel old.

Funny, I was like 14 years old when that happened. I got into the box speculation game quite young...

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

Think Hellboy kills it. But if CM or Shazam can bridge through to Dark Phoenix, we will have about 20 weeks in a row where 2 movies from Mojo’s Comic Book Adaptation category are in the top 15 — starting with CM’s release and running until Endgame falls out in July.

Wait, we won’t need Hellboy anymore. Can go for 5 weekends easily.

18 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I made that thread/box office call after the 2007 comic-con trailer leaked in July, 2007. Transformers had just exploded (as I had predicted); popcorn robot action was super hot. The leaked IRON MAN trailer was just a blend of RDJ being hilarious and Iron Man suiting up...the final shot was him chasing w/ the jets and breaking the sound barrier.

One of the easiest calls ever, so obvious people would eat it up. Had no idea what it would eventually become, though.

which highlights the draw of Iron Man. The movie was awesome but felt possible within our physical universe. Only Batman offers that, and IM is a more light hearted fun take.

Every person watching the movie could picture what it would be like to have the Ironman suit.

Edited by Birdo Mandingo

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

that's pushing it, maybe top 12, theater counts matter

This weekend will be 3 in top 4. Shazam and CM hold better than Llorona, so on May 3-5 3 out of top 6. Only 3 new releases May 10-12, so 3 in the top 9 — leaves a bit of wigggle room even. 

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

This weekend will be 3 in top 4. Shazam and CM hold better than Llorona, so on May 3-5 3 out of top 6. Only 3 new releases May 10-12, so 3 in the top 9 — leaves a bit of wigggle room even. 

I think CM will increase AGAIN.

Millions of people are going to watch Endgame that did not watch CM and are going to want to check it out.

CM is now a very unique movie run. I personally cant recall a movie getting a second wind because of the launch of another movie. 

9 minutes ago, Birdo Mandingo said:

I think CM will increase AGAIN.

Millions of people are going to watch Endgame that did not watch CM and are going to want to check it out.

CM is now a very unique movie run. I personally cant recall a movie getting a second wind because of the launch of another movie. 

Black panther. Although it didn't manage to increase at IW weekend.

5 minutes ago, xiazhi said:

Black panther. Although it didn't manage to increase at IW weekend. 

it did get a bit of a 2nd wind, but not compared to CM.

CM last weekend was actually UP from previous weekend.

I will say it is not a completely fair comparison since BP had almost 3 weeks more time in theater prior to IW coming out so it probably had lost more screens by that point which blunted its bump. Also CM seems to be more tied marketing wise to Endgame, than BP was to IW, maybe just by a bit, but IW had the post credit tie to CM and then the post credit in CM was tied to EG.

Edited by Birdo Mandingo

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Superhero movies have a glass ceiling, no matter how hugely popular they are.

Star Wars in America is 4 Quadrant, Superhero movies I would say are 3 Quadrant at best.

That's what makes this box office run so impressive. Objectively mediocre  Star Wars films did amazing. Good ones like SFA did nearly a billion in the US alone.

2 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

That's what makes this box office run so impressive. Objectively mediocre  Star Wars films did amazing. Good ones like SFA did nearly a billion in the US alone.

MCU films in December might also make near a billion, both franchises can be rather mediocre at times

If we go with BOM's tendency to underpredict CM numbers.

They are predicting 7,3m i think for CM. And CM has been beating their predictions in the last 3 weekends by around 2m-4m. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

MCU films in December might also make near a billion, both franchises can be rather mediocre at times

Maybe but I'm no so sure. Inflation adjusted the 1999 star wars film bumps to 812 million and it was so bad. I'm not Star Wars Stan but I've seen all of them and everyone in theater