sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

1 hour ago, tawasal said:

So what IW also jumped 75% this weekend but never did over that amount again in it's run (correct me if I am wrong). Even BP which had one of the best Saturday jumps among the MCU never did more than 84%-85%.  

You were the poster who asked if it was even possible...I pointed out it was...you now seem to agree it's possible.

So, was there a point to your original post, b/c if so, I'm missing it...unless the point was to backhanded continue to dog Endgame...which you can do, but then just say that...

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I agree.  And big deal if it's the biggest media franchise in the world.  People like playing their games, doesn't mean they are going to flock to the cinema to see the movie.  It's doing well, I've said that numerous times.  I'm just saying the budget is too high and historical data was there for them to see that the ceiling for the film was probably going to be less than 200 mill domestic.  

What historical data?  The last major Pokemon movie was in 1999, was based on the anime, and adjusts to 150M domestic.  Then they added Ryan Reynolds, a big star fresh off of two huge Deadpool movies, and marketed it to as broad an audience as possible.  The budget being 150M makes sense.  The fact that it's not paying off as much as they would've liked is unfortunate for them, but 150M isn't that unreasonable of a budget for a movie that, on paper, has a lot of broad appeal and that's based off of a brand this huge.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

You were the poster who asked if it was even possible...I pointed out it was...you now seem to agree it's possible.

So, was there a point to your original post, b/c if so, I'm missing it...unless the point was to backhanded continue to dog Endgame...which you can do, but then just say that...

I said it had no right to jump so high if we go by past movies of the MCU. Is that wrong? And I never said it was impossible or not possible. I never close the door too soon. 

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

if we are supposed to average your 2 sets of numbers,

😊

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You guys are cracking jokes about trailer views, but with rare exceptions (Pikachu now included in this) they're usually a good indicator of interest in a film. Even @Shawn (who runs a box office site) said the movie was hard to track given its trailer views and social media presence so not sure what the sarcasm is about re trailer views and likes. Especially since whenever a trailer is released, most of you guys jump to look at its views and likes  anyways so…..

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

What historical data?  The last major Pokemon movie was in 1999, was based on the anime, and adjusts to 150M domestic.  Then they added Ryan Reynolds, a big star fresh off of two huge Deadpool movies, and marketed it to as broad an audience as possible.  The budget being 150M makes perfect sense.  The fact that it's not paying off as much as they would've liked is unfortunate for them, but 150M isn't that unreasonable of a budget for a movie that, on paper, has a lot of broad appeal and that's based off of a brand this huge.

Historical data as in other Games-to-Movies box office, I am guessing. You know those exist. 

• Thanks 1