That One Girl

Toy Story 4 Weekend Thread | Estimates: Small Soldiers 118, Puppet Master 14.1, Prince of Persia 12.2 (-30%), Blues Brothers 2000 10.8 (-64%), Beverly Hills Chihuahua: The Squeakquel 10.3 (-58%)

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I don't really subscribe that strongly to the idea that just because the market has been dead for a few weeks means this film should explode. 

It's still a 4th entry in a franchise many considered closed.

Or maybe the explosion will happen a few weeks later, either to FFH or TLK. Don't really know. I still hope that TLK makes at least $1.2B.

• Like 1

I saw Toy Story 4...it's decent, and has a good ending but has nowhere near the emotional power of TS3. I'm a little perplexed at the raves it's gotten.

Pretty funny, though!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Blankments said:

Rocketman and Booksmart are both 9/10 films, calm down buckos

:gold:cheesy, dumb , and forced comedic movie about nerdy adolescent youth going wild propped up by critics to promote women director.  Solid 4/10.

Edited by The GOAT
  • Like 6
  • Knock It Off 5

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

One good thing about the last 3 years in animation being almost nothing but sequels is that studios have effectively exhausted the vast majority of their guaranteed huge sequel hits. This will force them to have to come up with original ideas going forward or face inevitable diminishing returns and eventual bombs if they keep making sequels no one asked for. The one exception is WDAS, who could make sequels to pretty much all of their revival films that would be surefire hits, which is what worries me. I really hope they don't and Frozen 2 is it. 

I think the only other recent WDAS they would consider giving sequels to are Zootopia and Moana. The other ones all have tv shows now. 

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I think he means in terms of tracking, trades and BOM/box office predictions. And Disney expectations ($140m). 

Variety $140m

THR $140-160m

Disney: $140m

BOM: $165m

BoxOffice: $145m 

Deadine $140-200m

Never change Deadline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Still not sure why people insist Toy Story's chapters were limited to 3.

*Shrug* It's clear a lot of people felt it ended perfectly at 3 and were wary of the franchise continuing. Going beyond Toy Story we've always seen a lot of drop offs with a 4th film. People are conditioned to 'trilogies.' I didn't mind a 4th as long as it was good, and personally while it's probably the weakest for me, it was still a very enjoyable entry.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Still not sure why people insist Toy Story's chapters were limited to 3.

It was the perfect arc for a boy growing up with his toys...Andy mattered as much as Buzz or Woody, so moving on seemed superfluous...plus, the toys also got their perfect ending of moving on for "play" with a new kid...

I'd have been more open to a new arc series with totally new toys...a new "toy story" b/c the last one was over...

Many folks in my age group may feel the same way...we grew up and don't need Woody and Buzz anymore:)...

5 hours ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I think kids that did grew up with the original TJB (1967) cared. Hence why they know all the characters & songs.

we got dragged in by my mother then for the buzz especially per the music. I do remember my mother being then very disappointed about it got translated, not original singers. She is a big fan of one of the OV singers.

The only animated movie I saw more or less voluntarily. The first movie I saw in a cinema.

Plus the book the movie is based on was then a ~ must read (even of the movie is only about a ~ chapter/part of it)

5 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

Where do you live? I’m in one of the expensive metropolitan areas (San Francisco Bay Area), and I usually can’t get a matinee below $10.

Here in Germany the average ticket price this year decreased.

I think I've read at International in Spain and Italy are film fiesta week(s), where you  pay less than $3 per movie all over the country (not sure if its a week or longer), a weekday matinee in Germany for a 2D movie can be rather cheap too. A newly released movie in an excellent big cinema (I think one of the biggest of the country) will be 5.9€, a movie in release for a time in an average cinema way less. In the same cinema an ATMOS whatever film at the best times during the week will be double the price. And that is less than 1 or 2 years back in the same cinema.

3 hours ago, gary said:

This Anthony guy on deadline is seriously biased toward Disney. They had at $160-200 million and its way off on that with $118 million. The excuse he use is "Disney leaves money on table":hahaha: How does he even come up with this drivel. Why does he not use this term for other movies he or deadline think should do better. With other studios he trashes them and throwing out those insane budgets. Just crazy.

... simple bad with predictions. He loves to grab the big names titles, beside him being - in my POV - the worst of their BO 'team'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

I don't really subscribe that strongly to the idea that just because the market has been dead for a few weeks means this film should explode. 

It's still a 4th entry in a franchise many considered closed.

Yeah, what we really need to get theaters going again is a 23rd entry.

Edited by Thanos Legion

3 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Mom and I are just got out of Late Night! Soooooooooo good!

I did like Late Night, though my sister and I both said the same thing. We were expecting more rapid fire jokes a la The Mindy Project. 

I mean, the jokes were good but they petered off towards the middle and then it was more dramatic than funny. Again, I like it, but not as much as I thought I would. 

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

I saw Toy Story 4...it's decent, and has a good ending but has nowhere near the emotional power of TS3. I'm a little perplexed at the raves it's gotten.

Pretty funny, though!

I had a smile on my face the entire time. 

I really loved it. 

Yeah, it wasn't as emotional as the last, but it's way more funny and charming. So charming actually. 

14 hours ago, filmscholar said:

:D :lol: @ the thread title.  

Thank you. I don't often edit the thread titles, but when I do, I like to amuse myself.

(It took me awhile to figure out what to call SLOP2.)

39 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

I did like Late Night, though my sister and I both said the same thing. We were expecting more rapid fire jokes a la The Mindy Project. 

I mean, the jokes were good but they petered off towards the middle and then it was more dramatic than funny. Again, I like it, but not as much as I thought I would. 

That really didn't bother me at all.  I laughed a couple of times at how real it felt.  Like, "Yup.  That's how that works."  I loved Emma/Katherine and Mindy/Molly and their journeys.