grim22

The Matrix Resurrections | December 22 2021 | Keanu, Lana Wachowski back

well i guess i didnt get the RT score right. underestimated critics need to over rate with cinemas out for 2 years. runtime is good. no criticism of that part- 2h 30 min, very healthy for matrix. matrix 1 wasnt long.

i am seeing the stream later tonight. will post my thoughts in a non spoiler way. but some die hard matrix fans have panned it - like reel rejects on youtube. so im sure its bad. it certainly isnt a good or great film. Maybe the RT will come down to the mid 60s range?

Edited by Halba
  • ...wtf 1

9 hours ago, AJG said:

Rewatched Reloaded and it's way better than the first??? 

Reloaded no where near the first. the first is one of the best films ever made in the hard sci fi genre- rivalled only by terminator 2, inception and a few others like blade runner/blade runner 2049. 8.7 imdb for matrix 1, thats incredible for a movie in this genre.

Reloaded a mess with the Architect confusing exposition/plot detail. no one really understands that part, even the director had no clue

Edited by Halba

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So maybe it will get a great audience reception too.

It'll probably dip below 6 on imdb. I checked imdb-like audience ratings/reviews in countries with big Matrix fan bases and they loath this movie.

Edited by Firepower

53 minutes ago, Halba said:

Reloaded no where near the first. the first is one of the best films ever made in the hard sci fi genre- rivalled only by terminator 2, inception and a few others like blade runner/blade runner 2049. 8.7 imdb for matrix 1, thats incredible for a movie in this genre.

Reloaded a mess with the Architect confusing exposition/plot detail. no one really understands that part, even the director had no clue

Architect stuff isn’t that difficult to get. Threw me off when I was a kid because of the thesaurus dialogue but watching it recently it’s relatively straightforward.

• Like 2

I was going to see this in theaters, but watched on MAX instead. I don't think it is anywhere near as divisive as Reloaded or Revolutions nor that risky. How the movie plays out makes a lot of sense for a Matrix movie. It was an interesting reboot, but felt pretty average to me. The Last Jedi this is not nor is this any sort of masterpiece. 

Well that was a movie that I watched.

I can see what they were going for....but it was also trying a little too hard to explain the sequels. A lot of exposition that gives you the impression it was added to explain this or that rather than flow in the story naturally. Excellent performances from everyone and some interesting visual work. Not as much action as you'd expect. I have mixed feelings atm. 

I watched Reloaded for the first time last night and by god, it might be one of the best sequels. The action was cranked up to eleven, the relationship between Neo and Trinity is so much better and the concept of Zion is so damn cool. I love it.

• Like 3

I rewatched Reloaded and Revolutions for the first time in a decade when the trailer dropped then rewatched them again a few days ago. Reloaded especially absolutely rocked my ass. They get better and better everytime, went from being lukewarm to disliking them as a kid but now I love all 3. Seeing Resurrections in an hour and a half, can’t wait.

17 hours ago, AJG said:

Rewatched Reloaded and it's way better than the first??? 

The action is fantastic. The story moves along nicely. What more do you want?

Also if you watch it with your standard 2021 knowledge of tech then that scene where they barrage you with a bunch of computer nonsense with Colonel Sanders is way easier to follow.

Edit: has anyone noticed that the 4K Matrix releases are less green? I think it looks much nicer now.

An hour into Revolutions and this shit is just boring. It's just plodding along.

Edit: this is fucking horrible. Im going to bed.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

God I forgot what comedian it was but someone once (maybe it was local) did a hilarious bit about how annoying the final Zion fight in Revolutions was, how it felt like three hours of them cutting back to the exact same shot of a guy on a turret just screaming and shooting.

It's astonishing how well 1999 Matrix holds up. Astonishing. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

No kidding. I just saw it theatrically a couple weeks ago and it was one of the most amped-up experiences I’ve had in a theater in recent memory despite already having seen the film dozens of times on home video. It still absolutely feels like the Wachowskis catching lightning in a bottle.

I’ve also been re-watching the prequels this week, and they’re… fine, I guess? Loved them when I was in middle school, was kinda lukewarm on them when I revisited them in college about a decade ago, and now I’d say I’m still a little more slanted toward the latter. I’ll give the Wachowskis credit for taking some big swings with the philosophy, and the action sequences are excellent (even if the Zion battle still feels harder to connect with), but every time there’s a sequence or interaction that seems overly similar to something in the first film, it’s hard not to think about how the first one did it better.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think that goes true for the era in general, a time where CGI started to be really good but not enough for a lot of things, that film and film preservation was close to reach is peak.

Titanic will probably age well forever, Saving Private Ryan has pretty much 0 issue and what help is what came just after, Digital camera not fully ready and a bit of overuse of CGI relative to their quality, a windows that will not age that well, even for the best like some part of the very first Lord of the Rings could use better texture/rendering and Gollum is much better in the sequels, that make the lates 90s look better in comparison. The Matrix and it's sequels being an extreme example of that.

Phantom Menace around that time being a strange case and possible counter example too, the CGI being the last of the issue with it, being almost fully practical but not much in camera and would have gained a lot of non being so practical sfx/miniature set.