sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

Completely random but I was going for a drive to get some food and saw a bus stop ad for Ready or Not. I thought I was crazy cause I thought it had already come out and sure enough a release date of “August 21st” is on the ad. It’s November 9th 💀

• Haha 1

I mean, for comparison (mainly the big DCEU movies):

-BvS (2016)=166M Opening Weekend, 330M Domestic, 873M Worldwide

-Wonder Woman (2017)=103M Opening Weekend, 412M Domestic, 821M Worldwide

-Justice League (2017)=93M Opening Weekend, 229M Domestic, 657M Worldwide

-Aquaman (2018)=67M Opening Weekend, 335M Domestic, 1.14B Worldwide

-Joker (2019)=96M Opening Weekend, 306M Domestic [Current], 952M Worldwide [Current]

Walter Hamada got added back in 2018, and the DCEU has slowly been getting itself back on track. Now we're going to have the 2nd DCEU film, and the first R-Rated one at that, cross 1B. That's two DCEU films that are going to be in the billion dollar club (Aquaman, and Joker sometime next week).

Edited by Xftg123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

I mean, for comparison:

-BvS (2016)=166M Opening Weekend, 330M Domestic, 873M Worldwide

-Wonder Woman (2017)=103M Opening Weekend, 412M Domestic, 821M Worldwide

-Justice League (2017)=93M Opening Weekend, 229M Domestic, 657M Worldwide

-Aquaman (2018)=67M Opening Weekend, 335M Domestic, 1.14B Worldwide

-Joker (2019)=96M Opening Weekend, 306M Domestic [Current], 952M Worldwide [Current]

Walter Hamada got added back in 2018, and the DCEU has slowly been getting itself back on track. Now we're going to have the 2nd DCEU film, and the first R-Rated one at that, cross 1B. That's two DCEU films that are going to be in the billion dollar club (Aquaman, and Joker sometime next week).

What about Shazam

13 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I'm in a theater for Parasite now...

My ticket was $12.68! Really expensive! Ticket prices have to be a reason why some of the films are flopping!

Absolutely! It's not that audiences aren't interested, it's that audiences are picky about when they're going to spend money to see a movie in theatres. This is why we see plenty of perfectly fine movies underperform or even flat out flop.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

My ticket was $12.68! Really expensive! Ticket prices have to be a reason why some of the films are flopping!

You think that’s expensive? Don’t ever come to London, the prices would give you a heart attack. A standard 2D showing is around £18 ($23) per ticket in Leicester Square, and the Dolby Cinema screen at the Odeon charges up to £40($51) a ticket to sit in their “Royal Box”.

Hell, even outside London you’d be lucky to find a standard 2D showing of a film for less than £10 (just shy of $13).

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Probably more then one reason why Sleep flopped.

Not sure it's the most embarassing. I would say that the Dark Twins...Phoenix and Fate..were more of an embrassment since they were part of very sucessful franchises,and Sleep was a sequel to a 40 year old movie.

Not to mention the budget for Doctor Sleep is not even that high so whatever losses it does make will be minuscule in comparson. 

Having watched The Good Liar, I do think it'll do okay business domestically. It's the sort of film that will appeal to the older crowd although it's not cosy and cuddly like Downton Abbey

3 hours ago, SLAM! said:

I saw a movie today for under $7.50 with tax, there are a couple more first-run theaters in the area with screenings $2 to $3 cheaper than that, though the latter is an early bird price. It just depends on where you live. Parasite isn't playing at those theaters, but the matinee price is still under $10 thankfully. The upside of not getting movies in your area right away is that the market can be much cheaper than NY/LA, a tradeoff really.

Record attendance for AMC:

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

That's less than my matinee price. :lol:

(which is only for the first showing on non holiday weekdays)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Haha 3

Despite Doctor Sleep not doing well, I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros wants to use Mike Flanagan for a future tentpole, whether that be another horror or something else. Todd Phillips for example went from a flop with War Dogs to Joker which is doing mega business.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Despite Doctor Sleep not doing well, I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros wants to use Mike Flanagan for a future tentpole, whether that be another horror or something else. Todd Phillips for example went from a flop with War Dogs to Joker which is doing mega business.

Phillips also made several big hits for WB pre War Dogs

Doctor Sleep is a great movie, really sad it’s flopping, but after see it, they clearly didn’t know how to sell this.

Flanagan will be fine, he delivered a well received sequel to a Kubrick classic mixed with a Stephen King vision, that’s impressive and Warner knows it. He’s in talks to direct a DC movie according to some rumours, he also said Warner talk to him about a DC project even before Doctor Sleep.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Flanagan will be fine, he delivered a well received sequel to a Kubrick classic mixed with a Stephen King vision, that’s impressive and Warner knows it. He’s in talks to direct a DC movie according to some rumours, he also said Warner talk to him about a DC project even before Doctor Sleep.

While a Mike Flanagan directed DC film would be good, I wouldn't mind seeing direct a family tentpole like Jonny Quest. I thought he directed the various child actors quite well in Doctor Sleep. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Doctor Sleep is a great movie, really sad it’s flopping, but after see it, they clearly didn’t know how to sell this.

This term is getting thrown around prematurely. 55 Metacritic and 70% RT isn't the greatest if you're talking critics. And it's too early to tell if audiences liked it.