sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If The Good Liar wasn't being quietly released I could actually see something like this happening.

It's quite an odd fit for WB and New Line, this wouldn't have been too out of place as a Focus or Fox Searchlight film.  

36 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

It's impressive and unexpected. After some difficult years DC is definitely back in the game.

Todd Phillips really gave the middle finger to 

The Man

Such an Honest & Brave Artist in these trying times.

:bravo:

Resist the System, Stand Up & Fight !

Edited by The Futurist

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

That’s shocking for Midway lol

I'd thank that ensemble cast for it not completely flopping tbh. They had been promoting it during This Is Us a bit given Mandy Moore's appearance in both.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's quite an odd fit for WB and New Line, this wouldn't have been too out of place as a Focus or Fox Searchlight film.  

In fairness Mirren has proven to be a draw with older audiences in the past and the director's last movie was one of the biggest of all time, so it sorta makes sense that a major studio took a chance on it.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

In fairness Mirren has proven to be a draw with older audiences in the past and the director's last movie was one of the biggest of all time, so it sorta makes sense that a major studio took a chance on it.

And I imagine it's fairly inexpensive, probably $10-15m tops Even if it doesn't do huge business, it'll still make a nice profit and have a long life on television and HBO Max.

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Last Christmas and Sleep are neck are neck at my woods. At Cin LC is ahead and at AMC Sleep is slightly ahead. Midway is like 50% ahead of them and moving hard. Unless it collapses after OD, I dont see Mdiway miss 20m. How much higher depends on how strong evenings are.

finally!  now I can get some more rest

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd thank that ensemble cast for it not completely flopping tbh. They had been promoting it during This Is Us a bit given Mandy Moore's appearance in both.

Condon also did well with Holmes with McKellen. 

My guess is The Liar will be a nice sized hit for WB - unlike Goldfinch, Motherless Brooklyn, The Kitchen, Shaft, Blinded By The Light

1 hour ago, Alli said:

Do you think James Gray will get to direct another movie? He flopped with Brad Pitt in the lead, ffs. As a matter of fact, all his movies are flops, yet he always gets another opportunity. Fool me once.....twice....

He seems like a critics' darling. I have seen The Old Man and the Gun and think the writing is dull and detached from the weight of the story.  And its sometimes playful direction is pretentious. Not a good artistic work.

Edited by Neucentro
Made a mistake

Doctor Sleep, a sequel to decades old film is a flop. hmmm i can think of one movie that'll face the same fate next year. doing sequel after so much time has passed is not a good idea

No, i'm not talking about Bill &Ted 3

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Doctor Sleep, a sequel to decades old film is a flop. hmmm i can think of one movie that'll face the same fate next year. doing sequel after so much time has passed is not a good idea

Your ass needs a new slant too.

• Haha 1