sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

19 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Last Christmas and Sleep are neck are neck at my woods. At Cin LC is ahead and at AMC Sleep is slightly ahead. Midway is like 50% ahead of them and moving hard. Unless it collapses after OD, I dont see Mdiway miss 20m. How much higher depends on how strong evenings are.

Thanks for the update. First time I read something more encouraging about LC that you or perhaps all others have posted in the past days here. If things keep that way, tomorrow could be interesting for these too (DS and LC).

11 minutes ago, Neucentro said:

He seems like a critics' darling. I have seen The Old Man and the Gun and think the writing is dull and detached from the weight of the story.  And its sometimes playful direction is pretentious. Not a good artistic work.

That's by David Lowery who also did Pete's Dragon for Disney.  Both lovely films.

Just now, TalismanRing said:

That's by David Lowery who also did Pete's Dragon for Disney.  Both lovely films.

Oops my bad. I confused the two. I actually like Gray's filmography. The Immigrant and The Lost City of Z are both mature pieces of work.

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the old man and the gun is the last film on earth i'd call "pretentious". it's so straightforward (and great)

The way Redford flaunts his "finger gun" at the police at the end of the car chase and the rolling of title cards are both cringe-worthy attempts at (dry) humor.  Trying hard to be playful but ending up a little pretentious.

Edited by Neucentro

@TwoMisfits caught up on thread and didnt want to go back for your post. 

I think we will both just disagree on Christmas films and on Bad Moms in particular. It did the best it could being the film it was and unnecessary. That being said, your argument about Christmas films missing out the 12/25 to Jan 1 or 2 window misses the biggest factor. They do statistically die on 12.26 biggest reason beyond the season ending is that they as well as other films beyond 3 weeks old lose a shit ton of access to all the films that generally open and expand between 12.20 and 12.25. 

There is a massive screen decay that keeps them from pulling all the benefits. It doesnt matter in that regard if they are Christmas or comedy. Films that open before 12.8 or there abouts always lose out due to the huge screen drops. Christmas films play well for 6-7 weeks before becoming annual TV broadcasts and its not going to change. The potential gross would only decrease if they opened closer to the holiday as the window wont move with them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I love movies and I wanted to watch this, the reviews are fine, and Mike Flanagan isn't a TV director. He's only made one TV show. This kind of gatekeeping trash is why I hate talking about movies online sometimes. If you were excited for this movie you aren't a movie buff? And Mike Flanagan is a crappy director because he made a TV show? What?

By the way 2010 was more of a sequel to a Kubrick movie than this seems to be and that was pretty good...

On the other hand the trailers were terrible. I was put off from watching it after the second trailer. The reviews are really what got me excited for the movie again.

Don't be so sensitive/insecure. Of course you're still a movie buff. Better? 

I didn't say Flanagan was a crappy director. He made a tv show and a tv movie in Gerald's Game. He's not a bad director, but is he great? We know nobody can hold a candle to Kubrick, but the least they could've done is tried to lure an Ari Aster type, somebody with vision. 

Flanagan is competent. He's not the guy you want following up a classic. 

• ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

The New Mutants doesn't really exist y'all. It's all a big social experiment about how many times a movie can be "delayed" before people catch on.

when i was doing media studies in a-levels we were making our own radio documentaries and one guy accidentally deleted his while editing it and instead of telling the teacher that's what happened he just kept asking for extensions without actually doing anything about it (he dropped out not long after that). gotta wonder if something similar is going on here.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Looking for a feature film to watch? I recommend Honey Boy if it's anywhere near you. But if it isn't or you have five minutes to spare check out the following short film:

Here's what Dan Trachtenberg tweeted about it:

If only you had hired me as the lead instead... :thinking:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neucentro said:

He seems like a critics' darling. I have seen The Old Man and the Gun and think the writing is dull and detached from the weight of the story.  And its sometimes playful direction is pretentious. Not a good artistic work.

David Lowery directed and wrote The Old Man and the Gun...

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

With Terminator and Doctor Sleep both striking out I feel like a trilogy's about to be complete next with Charlie's Angels. A part of me thinks that could go as low as The Girl in the Spider's Web did last year but low-teens seems more likely.

And in the next year, Bad Boys and Top Gun would also flop.............and old franchises will be died for good, except Disney's.  (even though Mulan may also flop in US)

Edited by John2015

• Founder / Operator
9 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Are you sure it doesn't ? @Shawn can you confirm if Doctor Sleep previews include Early Fandango Screening numbers. It would be bad if it is. Otherwise the preview numbes are exactly what I expected looking at ticket sales.

Still haven't got any confirmation about that from the studio. I've asked twice. The prevailing rumor is that it does include them, though...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1