sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Midway 17.5, Sleep 14.1, Fire 12.8, Xmas 11.6, Terminatah 10.8, Jokah 9.2, Mal2 8

It always seemed odd to me that studios avoided putting out anything horror-related in October this year (that wasn't firmly rooted in another genre ala The Addams Family and Zombieland 2) besides Countdown, which was always gonna be a nonstarter cause of how stupid it looked. Even something like Ma could've taken advantage of the barren horror schedule.

Edited by filmlover

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Worth mentioning also that Midway's numbers are still sending it to "flop" territory unless it's huge overseas (that's doubtful) but at least it won't be as big of one as expected heading into the weekend and looking to pull off a surprise #1. Oh well, gotta look for a positive in there somewhere.

Agreed; with a 100 Million price tag Midway is almost certainly going to lose money,  but still, if Midway takes the weekend it will be a big upset.

I have mixed feelings; as a World War 2 buff happy a WW2 film might be #1, but worried about how good the film is, partiuclary with Emmerich sucky record when it comes to his attempts at history. But no way will it be as bad as "Anoymous",though. At least "MIdway" is not pushing a crap crackpot conspiracy theory (that Shakespeare did not write Shakespeare).

1 hour ago, Curtis1986 said:

How about Harriet 

Sorry I did not track it all since release and so cannot provide any insight. You need Charlie to provide bo data.

1 hour ago, respmw said:

Will you be posting your friday predictions later, Keyser?

Evening for sure. Too many variables this early. I found Midway numbers so astounding I ran it twice. Even plexes did not plan as it has fewer shows than sleep. let me see if they ramp up in the evening. So while I cannot give a number now, I wont be surprised if Midway goes higher than what early numbers say.

• Like 1

i actually think Anonymous is pretty good, but most people can't look past the kooky premise. like yeah i don't buy the "shakespeare didn't write his plays" stuff either but whatever. roland has always used conspiracy theories in his work. he's one of those guys. stonewall was waaaaay worse.

• Like 1

That $17.2M estimate for Doctor Sleep is shocking as a whole but it makes sense based on the pitiful preview number. Last year on the same weekend (November 9-11) Overlord did 11.3x its previews ($900K). The same multi for DS's $1.5M previews gives $16.95M.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i actually think Anonymous is pretty good, but most people can't look past the kooky premise. like yeah i don't buy the "shakespeare didn't write his plays" stuff either but whatever. roland has always used conspiracy theories in his work. he's one of those guys. stonewall was waaaaay worse.

Problem is that Emmerich apparently actually bought into the conspiracy crap he was peddling in "Anoymous" even putting out a guide for schools to use with the film. As someone with a BA in history, that offended me. I have no problem with something like "Inglorious Bestards" altering history where it is obvious Tarantino was not taking it seriously ,but for Emmerich to seriously say Shakespeare was "fake news" just rubs me the wrong way big time.

And, I agree, Stonewall was terrible. The movie deserved it's blasting from the Gay community for Emmerich's outrageous stereotypes.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Roland Emmerich wasn't right for the material imo. The movie ends bordering on schlock when Emmerich clearly wants it taken seriously. But at least he was a bit ambitious here. Would rather watch that film than any of the films he made after that.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Roland Emmerich wasn't right for the material imo. The movie ends bordering on schlock when Emmerich clearly wants it taken seriously. But at least he was a bit ambitious here. Would rather watch that film than any of the films he made after that.

I don't think Emmerich is right for Historical Films, Period. Even his most successful one. 'The Patriot" was ridiculous with it's making the British in the American Revolution as no better then the Nazis.

Love Actually, which is probably the comp they're going for (in more ways than one), debuted in limited release this same weekend in 2003--it made $6.9M. On November 14 it went wide(r), doubling its theater count and made $8.9 M. Last Christmas's numbers are not a disappointing or underwhelming start for a British romcom in the US market at all (especially one with fewer stars and less obvious appeal).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl3798042113/weekend/?ref_=bo_rl_tab#tabs

Edited by KC7
  • Like 1

it's way more disappointing that actual shakespeare guys like Mark Rylance and Derek Jacobi are into that Shakespeare didn't write his plays conspiracy (so was Charlie Chaplin!!). it's nothing but classist"shakespeare was too poor to be that good a writer it must have been some Earl that actually wrote it" smh.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2