Eric Lasagna

THE STAR WARS THE RISE OF SKYWALKER WEEKEND THREAD | Abandon all hope, ye who enter here | 177.38 DOM, 197 OS, 373.5 WW | SALE NOW LIVE

10 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

talking about adjusted for Inflation

1. A New Hope - $3,210,147,748

2. The Force Awakens - $2,177,622,188

3. The Empire Strikes Back - $1,671,305,462

4. The Phantom Menace - $1,540,567,015

5. The Last Jedi - $1,332,422,051

6. Return of the Jedi - $1,197,267,566

7. Rogue One - $1,098,065,126

8. Revenge of the Sith - $1,086,406,103

9. Attack of the Clones - $902,663,675

This should be correct right?

Rise of Skywalker is gonna make less money than Attack of the clones

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Not this again.

The positives outweigh the negatives. The worldwide market has grown a lot in dollar terms since the early 2000s. A look at the top box office lists should make that clear to every unbiased person.

This is the thing I can never understand, people keep claiming how devastating the market is now for blockbusters but this decade produces 40+ 1b movies and 2000s we barely had 4. 

What people whining about doesn't tally with the actual scenario, 

If the marketplace now is really that unfriendly to blockbusters , we should be seeing more 90s or 80s movie on top of the chart, not the other way round. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

talking about adjusted for Inflation

1. A New Hope - $3,210,147,748

2. The Force Awakens - $2,177,622,188

3. The Empire Strikes Back - $1,671,305,462

4. The Phantom Menace - $1,540,567,015

5. The Last Jedi - $1,332,422,051

6. Return of the Jedi - $1,197,267,566

7. Rogue One - $1,098,065,126

8. Revenge of the Sith - $1,086,406,103

9. Attack of the Clones - $902,663,675

This should be correct right?

Just curious, where did you get those data?

2 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's crazy that even with those stars and billboards everywhere, only about 500,000 Americans wanted to buy tickets to Bombshell. 

Despite all the claim , TROS is still a near 180m mega-opener. 

You can counter-program a 60m or even 80m opener but 180m?? that is just no way.......180m is basically everyone in the town that going to the theater

Hope decent gross throughout the holiday.

6 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's crazy that even with those stars and billboards everywhere, only about 500,000 Americans wanted to buy tickets to Bombshell. 

It makes me wonder if DOM people are just sick of the media...they don't want to see stories about them in any form, positive or negative, over their holiday.  I mean, the 2 biggest busts of the holidays so far are Richard Jewell and Bombshell, and they both had very good pedigree for directors/stars...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

It makes me wonder if DOM people are just sick of the media...they don't want to see stories about them in any form, positive or negative, over their holiday.  I mean, the 2 biggest busts of the holidays so far are Richard Jewell and Bombshell, and they both had very good pedigree for directors/stars...

I wouldn’t write off Bombshell yet, unlike Richard Jewell, it’ll be getting attention through January and February. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

I wouldn’t write off Bombshell yet, unlike Richard Jewell, it’ll be getting attention through January and February. 

I don't know - $4.6M vs $5.0M open for each...they both are the 1st discards to the pile when the January resets happen.  I mean, Cats out-opened both...

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't know - $4.6M vs $5.0M open for each...they both are the 1st discards to the pile when the January resets happen.  I mean, Cats out-opened both...

It's playing in only 1,480 theaters, compared to Cats' 3,380 and Richard Jewell's 2,502.

• Thanks 1

#NotToGetPolitical but I talked about this movie with a friend who is all over awards season, and I think Bombshell suffered by the movie not really appealing to anyone. Obviously this was going to have zero interest with conservatives here, but with something like Vice, it was a very simple anti-Cheney/anti-Bush/anti-Republican film that, while wasn't a hit, was an easy enough sell to the MSNBC crowd. With Bombshell, it's framing Megyn Kelly as a hero, and despite the good she did in kicking Roger Ailes out, she has still said a slew of controversial statements after leaving Fox and heading to NBC, most notably her stance on blackface. She even returned to Fox News a couple months before the movie came out for an interview. So she's not necessarily somebody loved by liberals, and the movie has mediocre reception as is, so this really didn't have a strong audience that would be interested in this

For the record, this is not me asking people to talk about politics. This was just me giving my two cents. If you turn this thread into a political warzone, you're outta here.

• Like 4

The one advantage to HP, Star Wars, LoTR and Titanic is Japan where tickets are at same level in last 25 years. So if Titanic did $200mn in Japan in 1998, it will be doing $150mn Approx today as there has been no inflation but moviegoing trend has declined.

Same for Potter 1 which did huge back then or Phantom Menace.

Besides, yeah all Potter films will adjust to Billion dollar. In fact most likely over 1.3 Bn most of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

I found 2 Popes much more entertaining.  Was engaged from start to finish and it wasn’t straight exposition.  The film is actually structured!

Take this acclaimed stuff away from here.

Im not sure if the HP brigade is better or worse than the TLJ review thread that this place was Saturday and Sunday 😬😄

Oy. What a crazy weekend for discussion. Glad that Monday is shaping up well for the other films. 

Also, Bombshell performed fine for a moderate wide release? Its not comparable with Richard Jewell or Cats - if anything its performance makes theirs looks even worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

From early looks of it, SW shall be 28-30. F2 seems will have a bump of may be 15%. PS suggest around 20 but lets see.

J2 sub 20 drop, may go as low as 13-14%.

If this is the case, this Monday seems even stronger than the comparable one in 2013. F1 jumped only 6% vs F2 15% and Desolation of Smaug dropping 26% vs Jumanji sub 20%. 

• Like 1